GDT: Saint Bluis at Buffalo, 11/23/22, 7pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

19 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, the ice time is interesting.  Mitts has been getting plenty of time throughout the season.  I don’t know if they are trying to showcase him, or are trying to give him his last best chance to take a big step, but they must be able to see that he is floundering quite a bit.

I really like Quinn.  He has that ability to produce a moment of brilliance with the puck on his stick, and I don’t think he is going to be a liability in other areas of the game.  You need a few guys like that.

Quinn is very effective in his own end. Another 20lbs of muscle and he'll be even more effective. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, the ice time is interesting.  Mitts has been getting plenty of time throughout the season.  I don’t know if they are trying to showcase him, or are trying to give him his last best chance to take a big step, but they must be able to see that he is floundering quite a bit.

I really like Quinn.  He has that ability to produce a moment of brilliance with the puck on his stick, and I don’t think he is going to be a liability in other areas of the game.  You need a few guys like that.

Actually I want to add. 

Last night I noticed how bad olofsson is on defense. He won almost no battles and then I see Quinn who is just so smart with how he engages another player. He does things like prepare the space and has anticipation for how that player might try and retain possession. The half wall lost night he just kept winning battles. Olofsson by contrast just sticks his stick in and hopes. What I'm saying is Quinn attacks the puck carrier with a purpose but olofsson just goes and hopes.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Not much mention of that kid Owen Power, who very quietly has become a solid NHL defender who adds offence, too. The kid is great. For all the praise that others deserve, Power might be the player with the most upside. He is sure as hell is better than Dahlin was at this age.  

Oh given time the team when each joined not sure you can say that... that being said Power will be a force... still adjusting but mostly solid.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Oh given time the team when each joined not sure you can say that... that being said Power will be a force... still adjusting but mostly solid.

Power seems to be much more under control than earlier this season. Not as much freestyling in the offensive zone. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Not much mention of that kid Owen Power, who very quietly has become a solid NHL defender who adds offence, too. The kid is great. For all the praise that others deserve, Power might be the player with the most upside. He is sure as hell is better than Dahlin was at this age.  

An Athletic article this a.m. ranks the 10 best rookies of this season so far: Power at #3 and Quinn at #5 (Beniers #1 and L. Thompson #2).

https://theathletic.com/3925974/2022/11/24/nhl-rookies-owen-power-logan-thompson/

17 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Power is very steady indeed.  Defensively he is doing better than Dahlin at this point.  Not offensively.  Let’s not forget that less is asked of him because we have 26 and the emergence of 23.  

Hopefully we can support his future development better than we did with Dahlin.  I thought they nearly ruined Dahlin under Krueger - too many minutes, bad system, and very few capable partners. 

Dahlin and Power could be the base that gets up the Stanley Cup.  Each can control the game for 23 minutes s night. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

An Athletic article this a.m. ranks the 10 best rookies of this season so far: Power at #3 and Quinn at #5 (Beniers #1 and L. Thompson #2).

https://theathletic.com/3925974/2022/11/24/nhl-rookies-owen-power-logan-thompson/

I'm not knocking any player who was rated higher in this particular ranking exercise. What I'm confident in saying is that he was the right selection for this team in that draft year from a team value standpoint. What's impressive about Power is not only the obvious talent and potential, but how confident he is asserting himself in the offensive zone. He plays smartly and with confidence. He's not afraid to expand his game in the offensive zone. I really wasn't expecting that this soon. Dahlin has a more dazzling stye of play in comparison to Power who has a more contained style of play. Just think how good he will be in another year or two. Already, he is an anchor player for us.   

• Like (+1) 3

What was most encouraging about the St. Louis game is that you can see the remaking of this roster falling into place. We have a quality #1 line. That's obvious. But the most encouraging takeaway from this game is that the emerging Cozens's line, although very young, can be a good #2 line. This youngster line will be inconsistent, but in another year or two it will become an established second line. You don't have to be a hockey maven to recognize the flashes of talent that JJ and Quinn bring to the table. And Cozens who is a no frills player anchors this line like he is a seasoned vet. You have to give Granato credit for having the vision to put these three kids together and allow them to make mistakes and grow together. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I was doing this also when game first started. It was a strange flash back. Very strange sensation 

I saw Erik Rasmussen in Casey for sure.

49 minutes ago, Curt said:

That was nice

Sure was. Good on the crew who produced it.

Sabres hockey... When it's good, it's good.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

... think you're forgetting Dahlin's first seasons. 

40pts in 56 games in year 2 and 44 in 82 year 1. Power is pacing for 37pts. 

Now yes, points aren't everything and Power has a more refined defensive game, but Dahlin before Krueger was fantastic. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

And of course, Power has the benefit of Dahlin being on the team.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

(Interestingly, Quinn had more than any of them and was 3rd among forwards in ice time.)

Of note: Quinn was on the ice with Tage at the end of the first when they all got caught with an icing and then knocking the net off and couldn't make a change. Quinn had a 1:30 shift there which would skew his time.

But that said! Quinn earned a bunch more ice time for the NJ game.

40 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I saw Erik Rasmussen in Casey for sure.

Sure was. Good on the crew who produced it.

Sabres hockey... When it's good, it's good.

Is it because they're both top-10 pick Minnesotans?

Dawe-Zinger-Audette looked competent last night. Fast, at least. Good penalty killing by Dawe-Audette.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

And of course, Power has the benefit of Dahlin being on the team.

Come on! Dahlin had Risto scoring 40 in his rookie season. 😇

• Haha (+1) 1

Here is something that may not happen again this season.  The Sabres won and neither Dahlin or Thompson had a point. Also both of Quinn’s goals were unassisted and both of Skinner’s were assisted only by Tuch.  

Edit.  Just checked Dahlin has points in 8 of the 9 wins and Thompson 7 of 9.  This was the only win to date where neither had a point.  The team is also 6-1 with Samuelsson in the lineup. 3-10 without.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, kas23 said:

This tweet is truly chilling. Wow. This is something very few (if any) experience. 

I go back to kid Ovechkin in his Sabres jacket. What coulda been. And 99 was a Sabres fan. As an aside I always thought McDavid wanted to be here for the same reason but never saw confirmation except for rumblings on draft day re: his seeming disappointment.

Edited by PASabreFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.