GDT: Saint Bluis at Buffalo, 11/23/22, 7pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

Very nice game overall.  The D were solid and Jokiharju only found himself below the opposing goal line once which was a big part of them all being solid.

The Thompson line & Cozens line both had excellent games.  Really glad to see Cozens bury that beautiful setup from his linemates.  Have no concerns about Quinn scoring at this level, but Cozens has been snakebit a lot last year and this.   (The Peterka goal last night should've been Dylan's - still not sure how he didn't bury it.)  Did not realize he had 4 heading into this game (recall 2 of them & thought he had 3) so he's on pace for 20 now.  Would really like to see him get there.

Liking Jost so far.  Not convinced it isn't the new team adrenaline bump, but if it isn't he'll help the cause.  A lot of times 1st round picks don't make it with the team that drafted them because the expectation is he has to be top 6 or he's a bust.  Paille was a great 4th liner for the B's but never had that option here because of where he was drafted.  If he can take Lazar's spot (figuratively, realize he's a W not a C) it would help.

Mittelstadt's line was as bad as their haters said in the 1st.  But, they actually played pretty well in the 2nd & generated chances in the 3rd.

As for UPL, got the feeling that for the 1st time in a long time we got to see what other team's fans often see their backup do against Buffalo.  The guy looks shaky early but gets some luck in the shots hitting his pads or going wide.  He either escapes the 1st without a goal against or only 1 given up & then has confidence in the 2nd & 3rd.  Thought he was shaky until the Tarasenko save in the 2nd & the next 4 shots went right into his logo or leg pads.  After that, he looked much more confident.  Seems the Blues were reading the old book on him - shoot high.  That hasn't been the way to beat him for ~1-1/2 years.  His glove was good.  The D need to be ready to help limit opponents chances to get him moving.  That is what they'll be going after.  Get him moving & take the holes that open up.

Watched on the tube, but got to watch it with my kid.  Fun night.  Nice way to enter Thanksgiving.  Btw, happy turkey day to all (even our Canadian friends that already had theirs last month & our Euro friends that don't celebrate it at all).  Through 20 games, they're only 6 points off a playoff pace.  So, the goal becomes 13 points every 10 games from here on out instead of 12.  Considering they just went through an 8 game winless streak w/ no OT nor SO losses & that isn't half bad.  0.650 I'd tough, but doable if they can stay reasonably healthy.  And that's the benefit of being young - guys are way more resilient and able to avoid injuries than those that are a little older.

• Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Adams needs to find another top 4 defender

Joker is only 23. He made some great plays tonight that were completely unheralded. I think he's a top 4 (as in, a 4), just not yet.

Edited by SwampD

52 minutes ago, inkman said:

I appreciate the twitter content the official feed puts out a lot now, while at the same time finding/realizing I’ll never be able to fit in with the new school crowd that’s arisen around it. I’m not sure exactly when it happened but Stan Twitter has crossed over yo the NHL: almost all the quote tweets are from those in their early 20s saying things like 

OHHHHHH

OMGGGGG

SCREAMING CRYING THROWING UP

BABY 🥺

- - - 

🤣. I’m old. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Joker is only 23. He made some great plays tonight that were completely unheralded. I think he's a top 4 (as in, a 4), just not yet.

He really could grow into a 4.  But now he's a 5 (or a 5/4 on a very good day).  @dudacek remains pretty high on him, so hoping he can get there.  And hoping Johnson signs too & ends up even better.  

2 hours ago, rickshaw said:

Samuelsson has played 7 games. He’s plus 10. Sabres are 6-1 in those games. We gave up 3 or more goals in 13 straight games, Samuelsson missed all 13 of those games. Last two games, 2 against in each. The kid is important.

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Ever since Samuelsson came back we started winning again, is it a coincidence? I think not.

Mule is absolutely a difference-maker.  His D zone play is really good, but I think there’s a psychological component too.   I was reminded tonight of an interview I heard a couple of years ago with I think Seth Appert, in which Appert raved about Mule — both his game and his leadership.  He said Mule was captain material.  I think he calms everybody down and he inspires them.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

How many odd man rushes did the 2nd line (can we just call them that now?) generate tonight?  It was at least 5 that I can remember.  They were blowing the doors off the Blues on the rush.

I predicted before the season that Cozens would beat Mitts out for the #2 C slot, and I thought Cozens’ line was much better tonight, so it looked like Cozens was firmly taking the upper hand in the competition — but then I checked the box score and Mitts and VO both had more ice time than Cozens and JJP.  (Interestingly, Quinn had more than any of them and was 3rd among forwards in ice time.)

I don’t think Mitts and VO can be on the same line.  They are both way too lacking in O-zone possession game.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Mule is absolutely a difference-maker.  His D zone play is really good, but I think there’s a psychological component too.   I was reminded tonight of an interview I heard a couple of years ago with I think Seth Appert, in which Appert raved about Mule — both his game and his leadership.  He said Mule was captain material.  I think he calms everybody down and he inspires them.

I predicted before the season that Cozens would beat Mitts out for the #2 C slot, and I thought Cozens’ line was much better tonight, so it looked like Cozens was firmly taking the upper hand in the competition — but then I checked the box score and Mitts and VO both had more ice time than Cozens and JJP.  (Interestingly, Quinn had more than any of them and was 3rd among forwards in ice time.)

I don’t think Mitts and VO can be on the same line.  They are both way too lacking in O-zone possession game.  

Speaking of which I’m so thrilled they kept Cozens at C. Plenty were thinking he should shift to wing to accommodate a Mittelstadt stay at C. Cozens 6’3, 200 ft of ice impression is made for the middle of the ice 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ... said:

That's probably the most fun home Sabres game to be at in over a decade.

Last year I was at the Eichel return game and the RJ game. Both were entertaining in their own rights but neither had to do specifically with how the Sabres played.

Tonight had everything to do with it and as someone who sat in section 307 for this beuaty... I would agree with you 100

I'm not going to get into analysis.. here's my quick thoughts:

• UPL has a name that mandates he makes it in the NHL. Whether its the "Luuuu" chants when he makes a save or the fact that if you enunciate his whole name it leads the crowd to chime in perfectly with "Luukkonen"  As in.. Ukka. Pekka., LUUKKONEN". From where I sat , he made some key saves.
  • The Quinn-Cozens-Peterka line.. long may they run. They are the key to the Sabres being successful. Tonight they clicked.
  • I can watch Samuelsson play defense all day long. There's no flash to his game, it's very collected and he just makes simple moves to clear space and move people off the puck.
  • Confidence is insane for a team. The move Tuch made early on in the game, despite not leading to a goal, is an indication of a team that isn't playing with a confidence issue. There were many other plsys that followed.
  • Tage Thompson.. I really feel he's still not at his peak.. and he's just stupid fun to watch right now.

Other thoughts from the crowd, the Sabres presentation, etc.

• Sabretooth rapelling from the rafters. There was no way that wasn't going to Van Damme me in the feels. It set a tone. The entire intro video did... well done. Although I still live for the day of on-ice projection versus the small screen experience of the "not-so-jumbotraon".
  • The crowd was into it tonight. No end to the number of songs that belted out when the music was dropped out.  The wave did extremely well. The 1,2,3,4,5... we want 6 chants were solid.  However, the crowd needs to leave the Hey-ey-ey-ey chants at the Bills game. It did not go well.  We also had a chance to completely razz Binnington and failed. The only thing I missed from tonight's game was a Binnington meltdown. That would have been EPIC.
  • There were a lot of black/red jerseys. Many of the red butter knives too. I would say it was well represented. I ultimately decided to wear mine as well.

Money well spent tonight. I was there and brought my son, just home from college, and two of his friends. They had an absolute blast and I got watch them enjoy the game. I got a chance to meet up with a former SS'er which is always a welcome experience.

Looking forward to Friday.. these are the games that show us what this team CAN do. We just are waiting for them to get to them doing it on a consistent basis.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

JJ grabbing the I-Pad after a shift where Razor was complimenting their line is the kind of content I'm here for. 

L-U-K-E I thought he played pretty well and his black kit was sharp.

Muel was missed. I think he might even be a little rusty still too but I'm so glad he's back. He's easily the teams best defender. 

THE KID LINE 😍🤩🖤

Cozens is coming, he's been good but I think he'll be even better later this season. 

Quinn deserved those, that second one was delicious. 

The crowd was awesome 👏👏👏  just great and an example of what they will do for this team if the team can earn it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Amazing game for a team on the back half of a back to back.  You could feel Quinn was ready to start making a difference.  Hopefully the dam is now broken for the skilled rookie.  I’ve been hoping for a kid line since the off-season.  Honestly putting Cozens with the 2 kids has put a pep in Cozens step as well. 

Skinner remains on fire.

At the quarter pole it’s a tight race for team MVP between TnT and Dahlin, but the MIP (most important player) is Samuelsson.  Getting him in the lineup changes all 5 other D in the lineup.  It allows DG to properly slot the other players including Dahlin and the group instantly becomes more effective.  Still hoping KA goes and gets more D depth as Bryson goes down tonight.  

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I appreciate the twitter content the official feed puts out a lot now, while at the same time finding/realizing I’ll never be able to fit in with the new school crowd that’s arisen around it. I’m not sure exactly when it happened but Stan Twitter has crossed over yo the NHL: almost all the quote tweets are from those in their early 20s saying things like 

OHHHHHH

OMGGGGG

SCREAMING CRYING THROWING UP

BABY 🥺

- - - 

🤣. I’m old. 

Ready for me to blow your mind? The kids don't use Twitter either.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Amazing game for a team on the back half of a back to back.  You could feel Quinn was ready to start making a difference.  Hopefully the dam is now broken for the skilled rookie.  I’ve been hoping for a kid line since the off-season.  Honestly putting Cozens with the 2 kids has put a pep in Cozens step as well. 

Skinner remains on fire.

At the quarter pole it’s a tight race for team MVP between TnT and Dahlin, but the MIP (most important player) is Samuelsson.  Getting him in the lineup changes all 5 other D in the lineup.  It allows DG to properly slot the other players including Dahlin and the group instantly becomes more effective.  Still hoping KA goes and gets more D depth as Bryson goes down tonight.  

Don’t see how that makes Samuelsson more important than Dahlin. Removing Dahlin would also slot everyone too high and he’s the better player 

Dahlin isn’t slotted right if he’s...not in at all. If we could only have one of the two in, it’s Rasmus. 

in truth it doesn’t look like the lineup as is can afford to lose either 

Edited by Thorny

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Amazing game for a team on the back half of a back to back.  You could feel Quinn was ready to start making a difference.  Hopefully the dam is now broken for the skilled rookie.  I’ve been hoping for a kid line since the off-season.  Honestly putting Cozens with the 2 kids has put a pep in Cozens step as well

Skinner remains on fire.

The best part about the bolded is that Quinn and Cozens are both 21 and Peterka 20. I am right there with you thinking about Cozens as the "vet" but he's the same age as these guys basically.  You refer to them as the kids.. but in truth, they are all kids.  That's what gives me hope.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I was going to mention:  There was NO letdown in the third; very surprising for a team who played the night before.

Game 20, youngest team in the league? Not surprised they had legs tbh particularly considering the sweaters 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

That felt like I'd time travelled. Black and red team, fast and tenacious, dominating at times. Like the good old days!!!!!!

I honestly don't know what to make of this team. Where was this 2 weeks ago? Can we really explain the forwards playing that much better because Samuelsson is back??? It's like a night and day contrast. I have no explanation but I also have no complaints. 

Quinn's best game as a Sabre by far. 

Side note - Sabres are undefeated with Jost. Go figure. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, LTS said:
  • UPL has a name that mandates he makes it in the NHL. Whether its the "Luuuu" chants when he makes a save or the fact that if you enunciate his whole name it leads the crowd to chime in perfectly with "Luukkonen"  As in.. Ukka. Pekka., LUUKKONEN". From where I sat , he made some key saves.
  • The Quinn-Cozens-Peterka line.. long may they run. They are the key to the Sabres being successful. Tonight they clicked.

I think we're in alignment:  See posts I made during the game: 

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:
4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

If for no other reason, this makes UPL our starter for sure.

....and from the Jack Quinn thread.... 

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:
3 hours ago, Ctaeth said:

Quinn was great in Rochester most of last season, but you can really see him making real strides here in the NHL.  He had kind of disappeared towards the end of the Amerk's season (and into the playoffs), which had a lot of people questioning his toughness etc.  But he has looked great early on and it's nice to see him get some well deserved goals.  I'm pumped for him and for the Sabres with him

I think that whole line is just going to get better and better as the season wears on.  You can point to the holes and the lack of depth, and yes those are concerns.  But the growth of this line is really what will drive the prospects of this team.

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Game 20, youngest team in the league? Not surprised they had legs tbh particularly considering the sweaters 

I think they were so into the game it didn't even occur to them to be tired.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Can we really explain the forwards playing that much better because Samuelsson is back???

I say yes.  Part of what allows them to skate with confidence is knowing the D is doing their job.  With both Joki and Muel back it's no longer a concern.  I will also point out that Muel *does* contribute in the offensive zone.  I noticed him going in for deep pinches at least a half dozen times.  He has a very good sense of when to go and when to fall back.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I say yes.  Part of what allows them to skate with confidence is knowing the D is doing their job.  With both Joki and Muel back it's no longer a concern.  I will also point out that Muel *does* contribute in the offensive zone.  I noticed him going in for deep pinches at least a half dozen times.  He has a very good sense of when to go and when to fall back.

Okay fair enough, and I'm not in any way debating that Samuelsson is a good player and he makes a difference, but it's such a huge contrast. Lack of depth was clearly a huge issue but he's not Bobby Orr. One guy shouldn't make that much of a difference and put that much jump in their step (collectively). 

idk, I'm not going to question it, just enjoy it and see if it lasts.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Okay fair enough, and I'm not in any way debating that Samuelsson is a good player and he makes a difference, but it's such a huge contrast. Lack of depth was clearly a huge issue but he's not Bobby Orr. One guy shouldn't make that much of a difference and put that much jump in their step (collectively). 

idk, I'm not going to question it, just enjoy it and see if it lasts.

He plays with jam in front of the net and is very effective clearing the puck after first shot... also really good outlet passer though he made a glaring miss last night... he is an intimidator... 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Yeah, the ice time is interesting.  Mitts has been getting plenty of time throughout the season.  I don’t know if they are trying to showcase him, or are trying to give him his last best chance to take a big step, but they must be able to see that he is floundering quite a bit.

I really like Quinn.  He has that ability to produce a moment of brilliance with the puck on his stick, and I don’t think he is going to be a liability in other areas of the game.  You need a few guys like that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.