GDT: Saint Bluis at Buffalo, 11/23/22, 7pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Comrie (was it Edmonton?) and Anderson (1st game) each had one great game. Add UPL to the list. Now, for some consistency, please.

Comrie should move much better laterally -- he's 6'1" 175# to UPL's 6'5" 217#. But, UPL shouldn't be sliding around as much with that frame, he's already there.

Very pleased with his game tonight. Now, how will he handle teams after they get a dozen games of video on him... this is where the fun begins.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Different styles.

Comrie needs to move laterally because he is smallish.

UPL doesn’t because he fills up the net.

I don't mean to be a downer, because it was a great game, but I saw UPL's lateral movement as being not sufficient to start in the NHL. On more than one occasion tonight, he got lucky when a shooter either half-whiffed or hit the side of the net (when Comrie or not-tired Anderson would have been there). I don't think his size will cover that up once the book is out on him.

I hope I'm wrong!

• Thanks (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Wow!  Who woke Quinn up the last two games?  He could have legitimately scored 5 or 6 goals the last two games.  

Awesome game!

The history on Quinn is that every time he moves up a level it takes him awhile to acclimate and really produce. Hopefully this is the start of him shining for the good guys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And plenty of starts we hung Andy out to dry. Andy has stood on his head too. Memories are short. 

Comrie has looked weakest of 3 though 

Comrie has been hung out more IMO, and doesn’t have the same experience as Andy. Andy won’t be back next year, per 32 Thoughts w Elliott Friedman pod I listened to today. I want to see Comrie backing up this group. Not saying he’s the man, but….still, Comrie deserves a shot. His analytics (why Sabres went after him) say he’s better than he’s been able to show. Just sayin. Next year hopefully UPL & Comrie (maybe this year w Andy in reserve, pending Comrie health & UPL play).

2 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I don't mean to be a downer, because it was a great game, but I saw UPL's lateral movement as being not sufficient to start in the NHL. On more than one occasion tonight, he got lucky when a shooter either half-whiffed or hit the side of the net (when Comrie or not-tired Anderson would have been there). I don't think his size will cover that up once the book is out on him.

I hope I'm wrong!

Could be right.  He’s still a work in progress.  I don’t really have much expectations for him.

Just now, Spoonman said:

Comrie has been hung out more IMO, and doesn’t have the same experience as Andy. Andy won’t be back next year, per 32 Thoughts w Elliott Friedman pod I listened to today. I want to see Comrie backing up this group. Not saying he’s the man, but….still, Comrie deserves a shot. His analytics (why Sabres went after him) say he’s better than he’s been able to show. Just sayin. Next year hopefully UPL & Comrie (maybe this year w Andy in reserve, pending Comrie health & UPL play).

I think Comrie has some things really going for him. He's got great movement and can anticipate plays. That's be swell if he could put it all together.

1 minute ago, Spoonman said:

Ya in the off-season that was the big play with him, unfortunately by that same token though his analytics this year have been not good. Considering he didn’t have an established sample size as a starter and the metrics were all we were betting on, I can’t just dismiss the poor ones thus far 

still think he gets another shot 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Samuelsson’s deal looking like a good one and a pretty slick call to go LT that soon. Probably the correct value sweet spot too, as he appears to have a significant affect on our D and at the same time hasn’t registered a point this season. 

So, had we waited, I don’t think his deal would have gone up extravagantly as points pay the most, but we certainly saved some and more importantly - the bullseye evaluation is what gives promise 

That's the key and what the organization has been missing in what seems like forever. When this particular group of guys play like this I'm inclined to attribute it to a solid and realistic evaluation of individual talent, the team and the synergy between those two.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And plenty of starts we hung Andy out to dry. Andy has stood on his head too. Memories are short. 

Comrie has looked weakest of 3 though 

I remember Andy's good starts.  I'll tell you what, I think I agree with you.  After tonight I have more faith in Luukkonen than Comrie.

When UPL was "on" tonight he exuded a certain swagger.  I hope that swagger feeds on itself.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ya in the off-season that was the big play with him, unfortunately by that same token though his analytics this year have been not good. Considering he didn’t have an established sample size as a starter and the metrics were all we were betting on, I can’t just dismiss the poor ones thus far 

still think he gets another shot 

All I am saying, give him some more starts….behind THIS group.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, FanaticSense06 said:

The Pegulas don't think their worth investing in seeing how we sat 17 million under the cap with 3 major injuries to defense, I dunno how signing a veteran d-man to a 2-3 year contract hurts this team, or making a trade for one for a 4th round pick or w/e.

You're obviously free to give up on them.  Strange how you'd bother posting on a board of a team you think the owners gave up on.  

What's that say about you?

2 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

All I am saying, give him some more starts….behind THIS group.

I’m sure he’ll get another shot.

At the same time it’s ok to expect plus-performance from a roster player including goalie, if he NEEDS the ideal set up to be a starter, I don’t know if he’s a long term option at said starter position. 

He’ll have to come in and really string a few quality wins together to turn the tide. I’d like to see it 

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

How many odd man rushes did the 2nd line (can we just call them that now?) generate tonight?  It was at least 5 that I can remember.  They were blowing the doors off the Blues on the rush.

While that line took advantage of the opportunities and looked great the Blues were well behind and taking chances that aren't normally part of their game. Sorta like the Bills great rushing performance against the Browns who suck against the rush. Nevertheless, the Sabres are passing well, moving quickly and backchecking with a purpose. If they play like they did in the last two games they'll win a lot. 

Just now, grinreaper said:

While that line took advantage of the opportunities and looked great the Blues were well behind and taking chances that aren't normally part of their game. Sorta like the Bills great rushing performance against the Browns who suck against the rush. Nevertheless, the Sabres are passing well, moving quickly and backchecking with a purpose. If they play like they did in the last two games they'll win a lot. 

I would say the Sabres passing wasn't that good to be honest, BUT they passed decisively and adjusted to the passes instead of just doing fly-bys. 

Defensively, there were periods where they gave the Blues too much respect but other times when they didn't give them a millimeter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.