GDT: Saint Bluis at Buffalo, 11/23/22, 7pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

So, I was looking at the standings to see where the Blues stand, and noticed this random stat: there are 12 teams with a record of .500 or worse, and the Sabres are the only team with a + goal differential (+1), and the closest team following is the Wild at -5.  Expanding the criteria to teams with 20 or fewer points (there are 17), again, the Sabres are the only team with a positive goal differential (Panthers are even).

Is this just a fluke stat, or does it describe something meaningful about this team that belies its recent losing streak? 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

So, I was looking at the standings to see where the Blues stand, and noticed this random stat: there are 12 teams with a record of .500 or worse, and the Sabres are the only team with a + goal differential (+1), and the closest team following is the Wild at -5.  Expanding the criteria to teams with 20 or fewer points (there are 17), again, the Sabres are the only team with a positive goal differential (Panthers are even).

Is this just a fluke stat, or does it describe something meaningful about this team that belies its recent losing streak? 

It's not a fluke; this team can score. The Sabres were 2nd in the league in goal differential behind Boston going into their skid. All it took was one big game to reset their positive. Keep Muel in the lineup (and stay healthy across the board, and keep a-Dahlin' and a-Tagin') for a month and they'll be safely in the positive.

• Thanks (+1) 2

Can't wait to see how tonight's game looks... live.

Sadly I need to wear the red crossed-swords so my kid doesn't know I went shopping for goatheads. If he saw mine he'd be suspicious that I got him one (which I did). 🙂

Place should be rockin.. just hope the Sabres give the crowd a reason to keep rockin.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

The recent losing streak didn't indicate some massive drop in good play (overall, some games were trash) and the Sabres should have probably won 3 of those games but bounces and luck do play a role. Basically Buffalo is probably slightly better than their record indicates. Almost all playoff teams each year have a positive goal differential. 

Helge Grans is just sitting over their in LA... sure would be a shame if we traded Olofsson for him... 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LTS said:

Sadly I need to wear the red crossed-swords so my kid doesn't know I went shopping for goatheads. If he saw mine he'd be suspicious that I got him one (which I did). 🙂

Place should be rockin.. just hope the Sabres give the crowd a reason to keep rockin.

Have fun and I hope the Sabres send your kid home happy like the did so many times when I was young.  

35 minutes ago, LTS said:

I might not watch the whole game (family coming over tonight) but I'm very much looking forward to this game just for the unis.

As I mentioned before, I am old enough that as a kid I grew up with the Blue and Gold.  I probably saw my first Sabres game in the late 1970's and as a kid started following the team closely in the early 80's, WELL before the red and Black.  Yet I like the red and black better.  Hope we see these unis pretty often and not just this year but a few games per year (at least) going forward.

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The recent losing streak didn't indicate some massive drop in good play (overall, some games were trash) and the Sabres should have probably won 3 of those games but bounces and luck do play a role. Basically Buffalo is probably slightly better than their record indicates. Almost all playoff teams each year have a positive goal differential. 

Helge Grans is just sitting over their in LA... sure would be a shame if we traded Olofsson for him... 

Big guy but he is an AHL player (so far).  Shouldn't we be adding savvy vets that won't break the bank, rather than trading a vet that can score goals for another prospect.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Big guy but he is an AHL player (so far).  Shouldn't we be adding savvy vets that won't break the bank, rather than trading a vet that can score goals for another prospect.  ?

Score goals? When does VO score goals anymore? Quinn can take his PP spot and then when will we see VO score? 

I think you can trade for Grans, I don't think you can trade for a savvy vet at this time. 

12 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Oh boy. 

this will sound weird but... he's not wrong.

• Haha (+1) 1

St. Louis is playing much better and they aren't a bad team, but their 'winning streak' they aren't exactly a juggernaut.  Good one goal wins vs Vegas and Colorado, but then 2 wins over Anahiem, one over Chi, San Jose, and an overtime/shootout win vs Washington.

7 wins are 7 wins, esp 2 good ones, but they aren't Boston. With a good game at home the Sabres can win this one...and it would be a good win.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Oh boy. 

If you want to find a way to get Krebs back in for a game or want to give VO a day off (like you said you want to do with most fowards) then fine, I'm good with it. But not because you think you will get more from Krebs than VO.

VO has shown time and time again he is a streaky player. Most goal scorers you can say are Streak but he seems VERY much so.  It usually is right about the time people are calling for him to sit that he goes on to score 4 goals in 5 games. That is who he is.  Krebs on the other hand, I have not seen a forward play as bad or hurt his team as much as he has this year. I am not a guy who ever says 'send him down to Rocherster becasue he is struggling" but for the first time in years I think Krebs is a player that it applies to.  VO?  I have learned to live with his streaks of 'invisible' or 'bad' games because when he isn't hurt, he works himself out of it and when he does he is very, very valuable.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.