Jack Quinn is on the verge of something awesome

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

What would be the negative to him joining the team? It looks like he's about to beat his stats from last year, what more can he learn being on the Winnipeg Ice? Not an argument, just wondering other than regressing here what would be the down side?

He can play up to 9 games before they decide whether to keep him up or send him back to the WHL. They could drag those 9 games out by having him as part of a rotation. How he performs in practice and in those 9 games would determine if he is good enough to stay.

While I don’t really recommend it, the Kraken scratched Shane Wright about a dozen games while giving him spot duty. They then sent him to the AHL for a 5 game conditioning stint. All of this kept him around until the WJ Championship where he was loaned to Team Canada. He was sent back to junior in early January.

He wasn’t ready so they delayed his return to junior. He barely got any games in between October and December so you wonder how he developed. Practicing with NHLers is worth something but that was a different path for him.

Savoie good be good enough to stick.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Yes joining Buffalo since he can't join Rochester. What would the team concern be?

From a management perspective, if he plays 10 or more games it burns a year off of his ELC, which means they lose a year of cost control. They probably don’t do that if he is not good enough.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Yes joining Buffalo since he can't join Rochester. What would the team concern be?

Well if he’s in Buffalo we need him playing games to do right by the player, but in a year where playoffs must be the goal, if Savoie isn’t one of our 12 best F, that could present an issue 

16 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Is he eligible for wjc next season? If he is I can see him have an extended stay at training camp, head to juniors until the wjc and potentially be a callup after that.

I believe that once he is sent back to junior hockey he could only come back on emergency recall, multiple forward injuries, and it would be short term.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Is he eligible for wjc next season? If he is I can see him have an extended stay at training camp, head to juniors until the wjc and potentially be a callup after that.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I believe that once he is sent back to junior hockey he could only come back on emergency recall, multiple forward injuries, and it would be short term.

Expect he's eligible for the WJCs as he'll be in his D+2 year, but those that follow Junior would know that better.

Doubt they'd want to do a 9 game stint over a large chunk of the season planning to bring him back after his Junior team's season is complete for 2 reasons.

1.  If they bring him back for a 10th game after the 9 game "tryout" he still burns a year of the ELC.  And,

2. If he's on the Sabres 23 man (or extended post trade deadline) roster for 40 games, he accrues a year of service in the NHL (aka moves a year closer to having UFA status) which is an even bigger deal than the possible burning of an ELC year.

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Granato talked about how the players who can self coach and self correct tend to have fewer mental ups and downs in a season. Specifically mentioned Power and Quinn. For Quinn he talked about how good he is at understanding what happened on a play and correcting and his only real issue is that he isn't strong enough yet for the NHL. 

Quinn had a nice goal last night and I really think we have a 70pt player growing up on this team right now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Granato talked about how the players who can self coach and self correct tend to have fewer mental ups and downs in a season. Specifically mentioned Power and Quinn. For Quinn he talked about how good he is at understanding what happened on a play and correcting and his only real issue is that he isn't strong enough yet for the NHL. 

Quinn had a nice goal last night and I really think we have a 70pt player growing up on this team right now. 

What I notice most about Quinn is that he will use his body.  Last night he stood up a Leafs player on the rush in the neutral zone.  I'll probably take his offensive skills for granted, but his willingness to step up in open ice and use his body tells me he has the willingness to do what is needed around the net.

He's going to be very good.... hell, he might already be very good.

15 minutes ago, LTS said:

What I notice most about Quinn is that he will use his body.  Last night he stood up a Leafs player on the rush in the neutral zone.  I'll probably take his offensive skills for granted, but his willingness to step up in open ice and use his body tells me he has the willingness to do what is needed around the net.

He is really good already.  Sucks the slide Sabres we’re on will likely have them miss playoffs but holy ***** the next 5+ years sure look bright.  

24 minutes ago, LTS said:

He does something that is vitally important, he uses his body to prepare the space around him. Reminds me a little of how Lidstrom played defense, where if you go back and watch, there are a lot of subtle ways he engaged that gave him advantages he could exploit. Jack Quinn gaining about 20lbs would do wonders for what he is trying to do out there. I am very curious to see what October Quinn looks like. 

10 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

The only negative I can say about Quinn is that when someone hits him when he has the puck he tends to give it up easily. I hope he adds a bit more muscle in the offseason but so far he is looking like a superstar in the making.

Quinn has been really turning it on the last two months or so...this dude is going to be a stud next year.

Edited by matter2003
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

He does something that is vitally important, he uses his body to prepare the space around him. Reminds me a little of how Lidstrom played defense, where if you go back and watch, there are a lot of subtle ways he engaged that gave him advantages he could exploit. Jack Quinn gaining about 20lbs would do wonders for what he is trying to do out there. I am very curious to see what October Quinn looks like. 

They list him at 185 and 6’1”.  He can realistically add about 5 lbs of muscle over the offseason to improve upper body strength, still keep his speed, and even improve his acceleration.   That will take some work.  It’s something Tage did a few years ago.  

Upper body strength will help immensely in the one on one battles where he tends to fall down a lot (like Rinehart did).  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They list him at 185 and 6’1”.  He can realistically add about 5 lbs of muscle over the offseason to improve upper body strength, still keep his speed, and even improve his acceleration.   That will take some work.  It’s something Tage did a few years ago.  

Upper body strength will help immensely in the one on one battles where he tends to fall down a lot (like Rinehart did).  

He is young, should be able to add at least 10 lbs if not 12 as long as diet and nutrition is on point.  Most of that will be from lower body work.

Edited by matter2003

31 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

The only negative I can say about Quinn is that when someone hits him when he has the puck he tends to give it up easily. I hope he adds a bit more muscle in the offseason but so far he is looking like a superstar in the making.

PPL keep saying this and I have never witnessed that to be true. In fact in the NYR game he was engaged, HARD, in his own zone with the puck and fought long and hard enough to clear the zone while under extreme duress. I think this is a myth to be honest and is something I see more from the boards darling, JJP. 

13 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He is young, should be able to add at least 10 lbs if not 12 as long as diet and nutrition is on point.  Most of that will be from lower body work.

idk, in 4 months, 5lbs is probably the more likely and safe way to add good muscle. He can't just add bulk, it has to be that endurance type of muscle. 

39 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Upper body strength will help immensely in the one on one battles where he tends to fall down a lot (like Rinehart did still does).  

FTFY. ;)

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

PPL keep saying this and I have never witnessed that to be true. In fact in the NYR game he was engaged, HARD, in his own zone with the puck and fought long and hard enough to clear the zone while under extreme duress. I think this is a myth to be honest and is something I see more from the boards darling, JJP. 

idk, in 4 months, 5lbs is probably the more likely and safe way to add good muscle. He can't just add bulk, it has to be that endurance type of muscle. 

Quinn does get knocked off the puck and knocked down a fair amount.  It's no where near an everytime thing, but to claim it is a myth is to have rose colored glasses on.  And it doesn't happen nearly enough to keep him from being an effective player in large part because he doesn't let it faze him.   Wish could recall who the opponent was, but remember 1 shift probably in January where he literally was knocked down 4 times on a single shift and then he either set up a goal or scored it after all that.  He didn't back down, but he did in fact get knocked around pretty good.

But really expect it will happen even less frequently as he does get a bit more man-strength and if he can keep making passes to Cozens and Peterka moving into space created by the guy about to level him, teams will stop making that their primary plan for dealing with him.

• Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

FTFY. 😉

Quinn does get knocked off the puck and knocked down a fair amount.  It's no where near an everytime thing, but to claim it is a myth is to have rose colored glasses on.  And it doesn't happen nearly enough to keep him from being an effective player in large part because he doesn't let it faze him.   Wish could recall who the opponent was, but remember 1 shift probably in January where he literally was knocked down 4 times on a single shift and then he either set up a goal or scored it after all that.  He didn't back down, but he did in fact get knocked around pretty good.

But really expect it will happen even less frequently as he does get a bit more man-strength and if he can keep making passes to Cozens and Peterka moving into space created by the guy about to level him, teams will stop making that their primary plan for dealing with him.

So what you are saying is, what I said was correct. 

It is a myth that Jack Quinn gives up easily. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So what you are saying is, what I said was correct. 

It is a myth that Jack Quinn gives up easily. 

Read what the guy wrote that you took issue with.  He DIDN'T say "Jack Quinn gives up easily."  He said "when someone hits him when he has the puck he tends to give it up easily."  There is a night and day difference between what was written and what you thought was written.

So, no, you are not correct, because Quinn does in fact lose the puck and get knocked down.  It literally happend FOUR times on a single shift earlier this season.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Read what the guy wrote that you took issue with.  He DIDN'T say "Jack Quinn gives up easily."  He said "when someone hits him when he has the puck he tends to give it up easily."  There is a night and day difference between what was written and what you thought was written.

So, no, you are not correct, because Quinn does in fact lose the puck and get knocked down.  It literally happend FOUR times on a single shift earlier this season.

No you are wrong and I know you are because I watch the games. 

Looks pretty solid to me. If anything he has a habit of too often going for the highlight reel play - that pass to no one yesterday was, without an ounce of hyperbole, one of the funniest/most terrible offensive decisions I’ve ever seen, considering how much space he had. He couldn’t have seen anyone there, no one was close. Clearly doesn’t need to worry about the fancy play as he has the skill to do what he did right after. 

if I had to pick which of our forwards is our best F in 5 years, I’d pick Quinn

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You are arguing against something that wasn't said. 

Im arguing against what you said. Jack Quick does not get knocked off pucks easily. 

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Looks pretty solid to me. If anything he has a habit of too often going for the highlight reel play - that pass to no one yesterday was, without an ounce of hyperbole, one of the funniest/most terrible offensive decisions I’ve ever seen, considering how much space he had. He couldn’t have seen anyone there, no one was close. Clearly doesn’t need to worry about the fancy play as he has the skill to do what he did right after. 

if I had to pick which of our forwards is our best F in 5 years, I’d pick Quinn

I think that deflected off the defender and he was trying to shoot far side. Maybe it was a pass, hard to tell but here is the clip. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Im arguing against what you said. Jack Quick does not get knocked off pucks easily. 

The poster you took issue with said he tends to.  That has happened several times this year.  He's also gotten knocked down fairly easily many times this year.  It's part and parcel of playing against men when you're only 20 yeasrs old.

And, if you actually DID read my original post on this subject, you would have noticed that it said that "(a)nd it doesn't happen nearly enough to keep him from being an effective player in large part because he doesn't let it faze him."   He's effective (he's actually going to be extremely good in the not too distant future too), but he's going to be better when he's stronger and even you agree with that.

Pretty sure this is my last post on this subject.  (Though it might not be.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.