Jack Quinn is on the verge of something awesome

LGR4GM

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes this thread is older BUT! before SDS shuts us down, Jack Quinn had a dip and then in the last 7 games has bounced back hard and fast. 

Jack Quinn in the last 7 games has 3g, 5a, and is a +6. We will need him to maintain his production for the stretch here with Tuch out. We need Jack Quinn to breakout, now. 

A couple of questions: 

1. Exactly what do you think about what happened in December is relevant to today? If it’s a nice day in Buffalo today, do you make people review the weather in patterns of buffalo last September? 
  2. If I was new to the board this week, what do your comments in December matter to what you’ve written today? Who here is concerned about Quinn’s play two months ago, as opposed to how he’s playing today? 
  3. If I stopped reading on page 2 two months ago, how would you like me to find your first new post? If I click on the link, it will send me to page 2 where I left off two months ago. I now have to scroll page after page after page to find out when the actual new information is posted. In your mind this is better? Because what you posted today is so dependent upon what happened two months ago that it just had to be referenced?

At some point, can we just come to the realization that sports discussions are by and large transient? That message boards are great for long form discussions, but sports discussions are essentially rooted in the present, and not dependent upon forgotten discussions, motivated by different circumstances?

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Still needs to work on skating acceleration and top speed in addition to more consistency on second efforts in puck battles, but I'm loving everything else about his game.

To anybody with a better eye than mine....how is Quinn's skating compared to say a Sam Reinhart?  Not trying to make any points, just curious if his skating is better, worse or the same.

6 hours ago, SDS said:

A couple of questions: 

1. Exactly what do you think about what happened in December is relevant to today? If it’s a nice day in Buffalo today, do you make people review the weather in patterns of buffalo last September? 
  2. If I was new to the board this week, what do your comments in December matter to what you’ve written today? Who here is concerned about Quinn’s play two months ago, as opposed to how he’s playing today? 
  3. If I stopped reading on page 2 two months ago, how would you like me to find your first new post? If I click on the link, it will send me to page 2 where I left off two months ago. I now have to scroll page after page after page to find out when the actual new information is posted. In your mind this is better? Because what you posted today is so dependent upon what happened two months ago that it just had to be referenced?

At some point, can we just come to the realization that sports discussions are by and large transient? That message boards are great for long form discussions, but sports discussions are essentially rooted in the present, and not dependent upon forgotten discussions, motivated by different circumstances?

I don't set my stuff so I read the 1st unread post. 

I would argue it's an ongoing conversation that a new poster might want to look back on since Quinns breakout is ongoing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I was reviewing the 2020 draft and Adams managed to get two gems from a pretty meh draft class. He took Quinn when popular opinion wanted Rossi or Perfetti, and he traded up to get JJP. Well done.

I like the choice now, Quinn is on the verge of something special.

I wanted Rossi at the time due to positional need. We may never know how he will turn out due to Covid complications. Perfetti is good but I have never liked his game. He seems like a pretty boy more worried about messing up his hair than an opponent’s breakout.

21 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I like the choice now, Quinn is on the verge of something special.

I wanted Rossi at the time due to positional need. We may never know how he will turn out due to Covid complications. Perfetti is good but I have never liked his game. He seems like a pretty boy more worried about messing up his hair than an opponent’s breakout.

I never cared for Perfetti. I feel bad for what happened to Rossi and hope he still makes it. 

Quinn over the past 15 games 5v5  (Sabres forward rank, overall NHL forward rank)

Individual:

G/60 1.64 (2nd, 29th overall)

Total A/60 1.64 (2nd, 52nd overall)

P/60 3.29 (3rd, 17th overall)

IPP 83.33 (3rd, 64th overall)

SH% 27.78 (1st, 11th overall)

ixG/60 0.6 (9th, 251st overall)

iHDCF/60 2.96 (6th, 249th overall)

Takeaways/60 2.3 (4th, 108th overall)

While the total shot rates aren't high, Quinn is sniping everything he gets while also generating assists at a top winger level.

The neat part is that his two way game is coming along, as the on ice stats show:

CA/60 49.28 (2nd best, 51st overall)

GA/60 2.3 (2nd best, 139th overall)

xGA/60 2.78 (4th best, 208)

HDCA/60 12.49 (2nd best, 196)

HDGA/60 1.31 (4th best, 167)

• Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Quinn over the past 15 games 5v5  (Sabres forward rank, overall NHL forward rank)

Individual:

G/60 1.64 (2nd, 29th overall)

Total A/60 1.64 (2nd, 52nd overall)

P/60 3.29 (3rd, 17th overall)

IPP 83.33 (3rd, 64th overall)

SH% 27.78 (1st, 11th overall)

ixG/60 0.6 (9th, 251st overall)

iHDCF/60 2.96 (6th, 249th overall)

Takeaways/60 2.3 (4th, 108th overall)

While the total shot rates aren't high, Quinn is sniping everything he gets while also generating assists at a top winger level.

The neat part is that his two way game is coming along, as the on ice stats show:

CA/60 49.28 (2nd best, 51st overall)

GA/60 2.3 (2nd best, 139th overall)

xGA/60 2.78 (4th best, 208)

HDCA/60 12.49 (2nd best, 196)

HDGA/60 1.31 (4th best, 167)

We might honestly have a star in the making.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

We might honestly have a star in the making.

One of my favorite players on the team today and is definitely showing signs of a very, very high ceiling.

One stat that's easy to gloss over from the last post is his IPP, or individual points percentage.  This is a percentage of how many goals are scored when he's on the ice and he gets the goal or an assist.  At 83% over the last 15 games, he's contributing to almost every successful play when he gets ice time.  Huge for a rookie to make those kinds of contributions at this level and huge for his confidence, as evidenced by that play.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I was hoping Quinn was going to start to look like this in the 2nd half of the season and become the Sabres ROY leader. Keep it going, Quinn!

According to NHL.com’s recent panel Power is still our front runner, fwiw: finished 3rd in the ranking actually 

Edited by Thorny

On 11/23/2022 at 7:07 PM, Pimlach said:

There are some dumb rules for both Juniors and college. I understand why but it’s another reason development of young players is tricky 

He is looking better and I’m watching him closer now.  

Believe if he signs a two way contract with Sabres it can be done.

• Disagree 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:03 AM, LGR4GM said:

There is no reason for KO to be on a PP unit and that isn't meant as a bash to KO. He needs his legs for other things. VO is only useful on the PP so idk what to do with that. Honestly, I would trade VO for the defense help we desperately need because as soon as now we can replace him. 

Jack Quinn should be on a PP unit and be a go to guy. He has so many tricks that he just generates chaos. We need more Chaos... on offense. On defense Jack Quinn is also one of the best forwards. 

Don't the Sabres have one of the BEST PP Units?

On 3/1/2023 at 2:27 PM, SDS said:

A couple of questions: 

Hmmm, Have to reflect on that. Get back to you in a week or two.   😂

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It cannot. Savoie can't be assigned to Rochester and he's already signed his elc.

What would be the negative to him joining the team? It looks like he's about to beat his stats from last year, what more can he learn being on the Winnipeg Ice? Not an argument, just wondering other than regressing here what would be the down side?

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

What would be the negative to him joining the team? It looks like he's about to beat his stats from last year, what more can he learn being on the Winnipeg Ice? Not an argument, just wondering other than regressing here what would be the down side?

Negative to joining Roch? He just couldn’t by rule, due to CHL agreement re: his age he’d need to be assigned to junior if not Buffalo

Negative to joining the Buffalo team? Presumably we can only afford to roster players next season who are ready to win and he might not be ready for that yet 

Team concern more so than development, in that case 

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Negative to joining Roch? He just couldn’t by rule, due to CHL agreement re: his age he’d need to be assigned to junior if not Buffalo

Negative to joining the Buffalo team? Presumably we can only afford to roster players next season who are ready to win and he might not be ready for that yet 

Team concern more so than development, in that case 

Yes joining Buffalo since he can't join Rochester. What would the team concern be?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.