Jack Quinn is on the verge of something awesome

LGR4GM

6 hours ago, Curt said:

Then on this 2nd one he just coasted in, waited for Binnington to make the first move ( drop down and close his 5 hole) then pulled a beautiful deek around him and put the puck in the net.

If that was Tage it would have been a dribbler that got in but took it's sweet time.  Quinn fired it in from a lousy angle with authority.  He doesn't know how to take it easy.  I keep thinking about that.

17 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Oh my. He plays like he’s 5’9”. Guess he isn’t a runt. Good thing. I’m a fan, we need a modern day Hecht 

What are we talking about?

Quinn is as competitive as they come.  He’s got a nasty streak and will mix it up, including dropping the gloves. 
haven’t seen it at the NHL level yet but you will 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It's because Cozens has (by far) more NHL experience.

Absolutely.. but only because the team was absolute shite when he was drafted. Otherwise he would have been put off a year. In the end they are all separated by less than a year and that's awesome.

• Agree 1

On 11/24/2022 at 10:11 PM, LTS said:

Absolutely.. but only because the team was absolute shite when he was drafted. Otherwise he would have been put off a year. In the end they are all separated by less than a year and that's awesome.

Cozens is on a pretty nice 28G 36A 64P pace himself this year...

The young kids are really taking some big steps this year...

Need goaltending to follow ASAP.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Cozens is on a pretty nice 28G 36A 64P pace himself this year...

The young kids are really taking some big steps this year...

Need goaltending to follow ASAP.

I am happy of course with Cozens play so far.  He is now putting up the goals/points, and his overall play is good, and Granato seems to love playing him.  I still have one problem with his game that he just refuses to change, how he does not play his position in his own end.

Again, I'm not saying he is bad at all, he is playing like one of the top forwards on this team, but he can be so much better if he focuses on his d-zone positioning.  In breaking down some past goals the Sabres allowed, he frequently leaves his 'zone' and chases the puck, is caught out of position, and the goal against is scored by the zone he vacated. That kinda happened last night again on the first Det goal. He goes into the corner to chase the puck (2 sabres D-men already back there), leaves the wingers to cover up high, the slot is open, and the goal scorer eventually comes from there.  I cannot think that is the Sabres strategy for Centers...Tage and Mitts stay in the slot in front of the net and very few goals are scored from there against the Sabres when they are out there because of it.  I just wish, in his own zone, Cozens would not be so agressive to chase the puck and vacate his likely coverage area when the Sabres have D-men there already.  When/If he stops doing that, he might be on his way to being one of the top 25 2-way/3 zone forwards in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I am happy of course with Cozens play so far.  He is now putting up the goals/points, and his overall play is good, and Granato seems to love playing him.  I still have one problem with his game that he just refuses to change, how he does not play his position in his own end.

Again, I'm not saying he is bad at all, he is playing like one of the top forwards on this team, but he can be so much better if he focuses on his d-zone positioning.  In breaking down some past goals the Sabres allowed, he frequently leaves his 'zone' and chases the puck, is caught out of position, and the goal against is scored by the zone he vacated. That kinda happened last night again on the first Det goal. He goes into the corner to chase the puck (2 sabres D-men already back there), leaves the wingers to cover up high, the slot is open, and the goal scorer eventually comes from there.  I cannot think that is the Sabres strategy for Centers...Tage and Mitts stay in the slot in front of the net and very few goals are scored from there against the Sabres when they are out there because of it.  I just wish, in his own zone, Cozens would not be so agressive to chase the puck and vacate his likely coverage area when the Sabres have D-men there already.  When/If he stops doing that, he might be on his way to being one of the top 25 2-way/3 zone forwards in the league.

Cozens is a +4 on the season(tied for 4th best on the team). Mittelstasdt is a -9(2nd worst). Seems weird you are pointing out Cozens as being a defensive liability while you hold Mittelstadt up as a good player in his own end.

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

No jack quinn 

Well, that is a less terrible comparison, but I have much higher hopes for Quinn (which are starting to ripen into expectations) than Vanek 2.0.  Vanek was talented and could light the lamp, but he was the kind of guy who brought his team down instead of lifting them up.  He was an unpleasantly-natured scoring accessory, not a core guy -- kinda like Evander Kane albeit without the true dirtbag baggage.  I see Quinn as a core guy who will lift up his teammates, never stop working his butt off and definitely never cause a problem.

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, that is a less terrible comparison, but I have much higher hopes for Quinn (which are starting to ripen into expectations) than Vanek 2.0.  Vanek was talented and could light the lamp, but he was the kind of guy who brought his team down instead of lifting them up.  He was an unpleasantly-natured scoring accessory, not a core guy -- kinda like Evander Kane albeit without the true dirtbag baggage.  I see Quinn as a core guy who will lift up his teammates, never stop working his butt off and definitely never cause a problem.

I liked vanek alot i believe you're being to hard he did give his all every night without a number 1 center .

If jack quinn ended up being vanek thats a huge win for the organization 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Cozens is a +4 on the season(tied for 4th best on the team). Mittelstasdt is a -9(2nd worst). Seems weird you are pointing out Cozens as being a defensive liability while you hold Mittelstadt up as a good player in his own end.

Watch the games....like it or not his defensive positioning in his own zone is an issue.  +/- has a lot to do with who your linemates, are, what role you are playing on the team, usage...and of course the + influences the +/- as much at the minus.

So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make when I say that Cozens is out of position in his own zone a lot. It is true.  Look at the first goal last night...or better yet look at the posts I have made on game nights after watching the replays of the goals.  Like it or not, he is all over the ice in the D-zone.  When Cozens is on the ice, there have been many instances of goals being allowed where the goal scored comes from the center/slot area that he vacated when it wasn't needed.  With Mitts (and Thompson) that isn't the case.

Randomly bringing up a +/- stat does not change that. The highlights/replays are out there, check them out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.