Jack Quinn is on the verge of something awesome

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

You appear to have more faith in UPL than many of the rest of us have.

Really hoping for an early Christmas present with Comrie coming back after the homestand.

It was a comment about the overall, season-long D and what they would need to put them in the hunt come spring.  Staying healthy, including GTs, would help bring their GAA down some (currently at 3.58).  The young guys creating a stronger second scoring line was the other ingredient.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Smaller players take longer to find their place.  They can be smart, just don’t dominate until they figure out how to use those smarts to their advantage. He needs time. Unlike Krebs, he’s showing that time should be in the NHL where he is all positives despite not producing. 

Some smaller players are physically very strong and play with a lot of speed and intensity.  Some figure out how to play bigger before Junior level and they can excel at every level.   Johnny Gaudreau jumped straight from college to the NHL at 5'9" and 165 lbs.  Being 21 as a rookie, not 18-19, helped him. 

I hope that Savioe is one of those players.   He carries a sturdy 180 lbs on 5' 9" so he has muscle mass to work with.   One year in the A would be beneficial for him.  

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Isn’t this just the opposite of true? Isn’t it usually the case that bigger players take longer, as they still have to grow into their bodies? Or at least isn’t that the usual trope?

You could say that Tage Thompson fits in this generalization, but I think it is a generalization that is not always true.  Owen Power is holding up fine at 218 lbs on his 6'6' frame.  He will get stronger and better, but he is already is a solid contributor and can make any line up in the NHL.  

I find that both are generalizations and the bottom line is almost all young players take time to develop.   Very few jump in at 18 or 19 and make an impact.  

8 minutes ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

It was a comment about the overall, season-long D and what they would need to put them in the hunt come spring.  Staying healthy, including GTs, would help bring their GAA down some (currently at 3.58).  The young guys creating a stronger second scoring line was the other ingredient.

Thanks for the clarification.  That makes a lot more sense.

42 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Some smaller players are physically very strong and play with a lot of speed and intensity.  Some figure out how to play bigger before Junior level and they can excel at every level.   Johnny Gaudreau jumped straight from college to the NHL at 5'9" and 165 lbs.  Being 21 as a rookie, not 18-19, helped him. 

I hope that Savioe is one of those players.   He carries a sturdy 180 lbs on 5' 9" so he has muscle mass to work with.   One year in the A would be beneficial for him.  

You could say that Tage Thompson fits in this generalization, but I think it is a generalization that is not always true.  Owen Power is holding up fine at 218 lbs on his 6'6' frame.  He will get stronger and better, but he is already is a solid contributor and can make any line up in the NHL.  

I find that both are generalizations and the bottom line is almost all young players take time to develop.   Very few jump in at 18 or 19 and make an impact.  

Owen Power is a 1 OA pick. Using him as the example for big players not taking as long seems silly. Especially when you consider that he didn’t play his D+1 season in the NHL (other than a few games at the end) and every other 1 OA pick since 2008 went straight to the NHL. (2008 was where I stopped checking, I’m sure it goes back much farther). 

3 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Owen Power is a 1 OA pick. Using him as the example for big players not taking as long seems silly. Especially when you consider that he didn’t play his D+1 season in the NHL (other than a few games at the end) and every other 1 OA pick since 2008 went straight to the NHL. (2008 was where I stopped checking, I’m sure it goes back much farther). 

You missed my point, which is not to make generalizations    

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Just remember that when people complain about Cozens G-A-Pts productivity, fancy stats aside.  So far, playing with two rookies has not helped his development on the scoring stat sheet.   They put a lot on him.  

I think Quinn takes a lot off his plate honestly. 

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I doubt we ever see Savoie in the AHL. His bday is Jan 1 meaning he'd have to play all next year in juniors again and I just can't see that. I'd like him to get an AHL year though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He's creating chances, the next step is cashing them. 

A lot of people were complaining about not understanding the shooting "heat" diagrams. 

My complaint about the charts in this post is it's so hard to read the small fonts in the evolving hockey. The other thing is I prefer hard numbers to standard deviations and the like as I forgot nearly everything from university stalockquote widget

Edited by JoeSchmoe

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I doubt we ever see Savoie in the AHL. His bday is Jan 1 meaning he'd have to play all next year in juniors again and I just can't see that. I'd like him to get an AHL year though. 

There are some dumb rules for both Juniors and college. I understand why but it’s another reason development of young players is tricky 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Quinn takes a lot off his plate honestly. 

He is looking better and I’m watching him closer now.  

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Quinn follows up yesterday's amazing game with another one but with goals added...

Plus a post/crossbar and another point blank chance that just went over the net.

That PCQ line is going to be amazing by the second half of the year.

Or the QPC home shopping network line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Quinn was great in Rochester most of last season, but you can really see him making real strides here in the NHL.  He had kind of disappeared towards the end of the Amerk's season (and into the playoffs), which had a lot of people questioning his toughness etc.  But he has looked great early on and it's nice to see him get some well deserved goals.  I'm pumped for him and for the Sabres with him

Edited by Ctaeth
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

Quinn was great in Rochester most of last season, but you can really see him making real strides here in the NHL.  He had kind of disappeared towards the end of the Amerk's season (and into the playoffs), which had a lot of people questioning his toughness etc.  But he has looked great early on and it's nice to see him get some well deserved goals.  I'm pumped for him and for the Sabres with him

I think that whole line is just going to get better and better as the season wears on.  You can point to the holes and the lack of depth, and yes those are concerns.  But the growth of this line is really what will drive the prospects of this team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think that whole line is just going to get better and better as the season wears on.  You can point to the holes and the lack of depth, and yes those are concerns.  But the growth of this line is really what will drive the prospects of this team.

Been thinking the same :

On 11/22/2022 at 5:55 PM, Thorny said:

688E9C81-1770-42C4-AB70-6528D05A802B.thumb.jpeg.eba55d2aabfc1b89fb748e873a33e814.jpeg

Anyone else get the impression we won’t “break out”’ as a team until that second line breaks out re: even strength production? Still really like the look of the mess of talent on that line, hoping it clicks in a way worthy of their individual skills and potential sooner than later 

Interestingly, Jost at C 

Only KO and EC out with injuries, now, correct? Hope we keep on this trend.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Quinn follows up yesterday's amazing game with another one but with goals added...

Plus a post/crossbar and another point blank chance that just went over the net.

That PCQ line is going to be amazing by the second half of the year.

That line has unlimited potential

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.