GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Montreal Canadians 11/22/22--MSG and Radio

bob_sauve28

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

@Thorny I wanted to see them finish the game like that!  Keep their foot on the pedal, and don’t let a crappy Montreal team sneak back into the game.

Announcers certainly kept acting like Montreal was back in it. Homers

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Whatevs.

Watch the games on delay typically to avoid commercials.  Hadn't seen a response by the end of the page.  

It was a joke. 

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

How much in AAV per year was saved by signing Tage when they did?

Tage seemed to be thrilled to get that contract after only a year of being so impressive. He doesn't seem like the type but I hope he doesn't feel underpaid and resent that contract after a couple more years. In reality the Sabres showed a lot of faith in him to give him that contract so soon. If Samuelson continues with the play that he's shown then GMKA is going to look like a mini genius. It's a far cry from the 2 year bridge contracts that they've given out in the past.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

What a great job on the PK tonight.  Amazing how much of a difference playing aggressively makes.

PP was aggressive too.  And actually scored AND looked legit.

Would really like to hear what they did differently heading into tonight in preparation.  (And the followup - wtf did you wait until game 19 to do that?)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

I like to watch.

image.png.9de57efce20467ae541c8f7feec3319a.png

Outstanding.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

What a great job on the PK tonight.  Amazing how much of a difference playing aggressively makes.

PP was aggressive too.  And actually scored AND looked legit.

Would really like to hear what they did differently heading into tonight in preparation.  (And the followup - wtf did you wait until game 19 to do that?)

Tyson Jost was a decent waiver pickup, at least for one game.

• Agree 1

Hated the slump.  Breaking it against Montreal is great (would have preferred Toronto) but still love to quiet down the Habs fans.  Also nice to keep Gallagher off the score sheet tonight.  In past games he always seemed to score some quick ones against us.  I hope this gives the boys some confidence going forward.  Good game.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Seriously. Does @Brawndo operate in the same sphere of time and space as the rest of us? He can see the future...  goals, the past, old friends long gone.

Yes lol I gave up on getting spoiled and just decided to post in this thread during the game because..well it's fun 

8 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Maybe if this organization stops being cheap on goal-tending I may not have to make such posts

Just a thought, but if Buffalo goes out and signs a big name goalie (assuming they could) do they lose on Portillo and Levi automatically. I'm not saying they shouldn't have done it.. but it's a thought.  Granted they still don't have either of them...

7 hours ago, Contempt said:

It's funny you say this. My kid's club team tries to run a 1-3-1 most of the time and they have the same problems the Sabres do. This weekend they changed up the power play unit and put my kid on it and he immediately brought the puck behind the net, found a guy in the slot and they scored on the pp for what felt like the first time in weeks. Sometimes just changing it up and giving everyone a different look can be enough to get it going.

https://thecoachessite.com/a-behind-the-net-power-play-formation-driven-by-analytics/

There's a lot about this.  Although this design is a little different than me thinking you play 1-3-1 in reverse.  All in all, move the puck, move your players, and good things will happen.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Guhle …. The amazing prospect that got away. Like Armia …

😂

Just to be clear.. this is Kaiden Guhle a homegrown Habs pick.  Brendan Guhle is now checking out the DEL for his career path.

----

Onto the game.  Hell of a start. The team played with confidence and certainly brought back some physicality. Jost to be commended for stepping up and winning the 5 min major pool.  Dark horse candidate to be certain.

A little bit of confidence goes a long way. You could see them sharper on their passes and covering the ice better. They were more relentless on the forecheck and only a few times got locked into their zone. 

Now they need to do this tomorrow.. 

Well, that was more like the team we saw early in the year. Can they keep it up. 

The positive is also a concern. 12 points came from the first line.  But that is 12 of 17 points among forwards from our first line. The strength of this team is the first line. Cousins. And Dahlin. With a few future potential quality players. Hopefully we can add to that.  But have to develop some intensity. 

Nevertheless, great to see a big win. Now go win a close one. 

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Just a thought, but if Buffalo goes out and signs a big name goalie (assuming they could) do they lose on Portillo and Levi automatically. I'm not saying they shouldn't have done it.. but it's a thought.  Granted they still don't have either of them...

https://thecoachessite.com/a-behind-the-net-power-play-formation-driven-by-analytics/

There's a lot about this.  Although this design is a little different than me thinking you play 1-3-1 in reverse.  All in all, move the puck, move your players, and good things will happen.

Just to be clear.. this is Kaiden Guhle a homegrown Habs pick.  Brendan Guhle is now checking out the DEL for his career path.

----

Onto the game.  Hell of a start. The team played with confidence and certainly brought back some physicality. Jost to be commended for stepping up and winning the 5 min major pool.  Dark horse candidate to be certain.

A little bit of confidence goes a long way. You could see them sharper on their passes and covering the ice better. They were more relentless on the forecheck and only a few times got locked into their zone. 

Now they need to do this tomorrow.. 

If Levi and Portillo can't handle competition, I don't want them anyways. 

That said, Levi is probably getting games in Buffalo at the end of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Outstanding.

Tyson Jost was a decent waiver pickup, at least for one game.

Tyson Jost did not cause the 1st PP to move the puck in the 2nd minute of the game.  He played well when he was out there on both sides.  Liked that when he failed to clear the puck on one PK that he kept aggressive and got the puck back low & made the tougher clear.  That said ...

There was a philosophical difference in how they operated tonight.  And, with everybody being so fast leaguewide, you NEED to be aggressive to be effective.  Hope they continue to play that way.

Not for nothing, but when Samuelsson went down, so ended Dahlin's goal scoring streak.  Notice where Ras was when he received that puck on his goal.  Without Muel on the ice, Dahlin isn't the 4th skater below the top of the faceoff circle.  Speculation, sure, but did anybody recall seeing him do that when paired w/ Bryson or Power?  This kid doesn't recall it.

Edited by Taro T
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If Levi and Portillo can't handle competition, I don't want them anyways. 

That said, Levi is probably getting games in Buffalo at the end of the season. 

I don't think it's quite this though. There's competition and then there's giving yourself the best opportunity to have a CHANCE to succeed in your career. I think we've all seen plenty of examples where the high-priced acquisition wins out over the unproven rookie, sophomore, etc. because of the money being paid.

I sure hope Levi is getting games in Buffalo. Hell, it would be great if both signed.. but until either of them sign they are not locked into anything. I see it no different than the UFA situation.. the closer you get to the deadline the less risk there is of waiting to see what happens.

You know what’s nice?

Not having yet another post loss knee jerk thread made, full of hive mind circle jerk posts. Although they are very entertaining. Nevermind, I’ll miss those until the next loss 😂

^
in case it’s hard to recognize, that was mostly a joke

Allen played like his typical self. He throws out a good game once in a while. But he’s usually pretty much pedestrian. Sorta like Anderson is for the Sabres. I liked Cozens and Peterka tonight.

Edited by Zamboni

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.