GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Montreal Canadians 11/22/22--MSG and Radio

bob_sauve28

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Bryson

Can see that, as Moe-ray-all tends to play small & fast which fits into his wheelhouse, but he hasn't been playing well lately either.

In this single particular instance mainly because Bryson hasn't been playing well either by the eye test am not as vehemently opposed to Granato expressing his man-crush on Jokiharju as normally would be.

Plus, if Jokiharju can look reasonable on the 2nd pairing, the Sabres can get away with shutting Lyubushkin down for the homestead to get him healthy.  Bryson up there won't give any info at all as to whether they can risk shutting Buusch down because he won't solidify that pairing enough that they can limp through w / a subpar 3rd pairing.  And, if Buusch gets healthy, they have 3 pairings that each should be good for their usage.  Henri can anchor a 3td pairing at home.  He's an anchor on a top 4 pairing but Power has been getting elite top pairing usage, that experience should make it easier for him to cover for Henri's shortcomings getting easier matchups.

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Lord I hate that.  I'm still waiting for the first coach to add the behind the net power play.  Teams are so used to defending the 1-3-1. You could just as easily take the low player and put them behind the net and still get your 1-timer opportunities but now you force the defenders to turn.  You can easily mix the two together if a team is playing aggressive.  Once you go behind the net they will back off.

Oh well.. it will take time, but the first coach that does it will look like a genius.

It's funny you say this. My kid's club team tries to run a 1-3-1 most of the time and they have the same problems the Sabres do. This weekend they changed up the power play unit and put my kid on it and he immediately brought the puck behind the net, found a guy in the slot and they scored on the pp for what felt like the first time in weeks. Sometimes just changing it up and giving everyone a different look can be enough to get it going.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Wonder how much of the PKs issues are the PP running such poorly prepped set plays?  The Sabres have a devil of a time getting the puck in the zone but other teams don't live & die with the drop pass to the center ice dot after everybody else reached the blue line entry so the Sabres can't keep teams from entering the zone w/ control.  Other teams also don't only shoot the 1 timer, so the Sabres aren't ready for units that actually move to create new passing/shooting lanes.  The plus to having Quinn on the PP is he's too young to realize he must remain stationary when out for the PP like everybody but Dahlin/Power are.

I would love to hear Granato or whomever is in charge of the PP, explain how the drop pass is a good thing.  3 guys standing still at the opposing blue line, 4th guy gets to center, drop pass to 5th player, while 4th guy joins the other 3 statues. 

Just friggin’ explain why this is a good strategy for entering the offensive zone on the PP?  I’ll hang up and listen….DG, Ellis, or the other clown behind the bench. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

31 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

So wish Granato would sit Ollie for a game or two with a message on effort and physicality

Man I'm seeing good stuff from olofsson this year.  Yeah he's not throwing big hits but he is back checking hard and playing stronger on the wall.  Skinner is the one who is 80% chance of a turnover. To me that's where the accountability needs to start.  RK sucked but he had this piece right.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Man I'm seeing good stuff from olofsson this year.  Yeah he's not throwing big hits but he is back checking hard and playing stronger on the wall.  Skinner is the one who is 80% chance of a turnover. To me that's where the accountability needs to start.  RK sucked but he had this piece right.  

I agree about Olofsson. His wall play especially.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I would love to hear Granato or whomever is in charge of the PP, explain how the drop pass is a good thing.  3 guys standing still at the opposing blue line, 4th guy gets to center, drop pass to 5th player, while 4th guy joins the other 3 statues. 

Just friggin’ explain why this is a good strategy for entering the offensive zone on the PP?  I’ll hang up and listen….DG, Ellis, or the other clown behind the bench. 

Especially since a large fraction of the Sabres scoring chances at even strength have come off the rush.  Why change it for the PP?

Edited by Marvin

4 hours ago, Toilet_Mop said:

Probably not but if he loses 30 games in a row I'd bet you a box of pop tarts he gets fired 

Lol he's mad for no reason 

It’s liger lol 

- - - 

Thought this one was on tv here, doesn’t look like it. May have to miss 

Go Sabres, slump buster in order 

Ill refrain from predicting a W as it hasn’t worked 

688E9C81-1770-42C4-AB70-6528D05A802B.thumb.jpeg.eba55d2aabfc1b89fb748e873a33e814.jpeg

Anyone else get the impression we won’t “break out”’ as a team until that second line breaks out re: even strength production? Still really like the look of the mess of talent on that line, hoping it clicks in a way worthy of their individual skills and potential sooner than later 

Interestingly, Jost at C 

Only KO and EC out with injuries, now, correct? Hope we keep on this trend.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.