The New Jersey Devils can do it, But not the Sabres.

FanaticSense06

The New Jersey Devils can draft Jesper Bratt, Nico Hischier, and Jack Hughes over 5 years of "tanking", sign a bunch of veterans to surround them with and be the best team in the NHL who are currently on a 12 game win streak.

Meanwhile the Pegulas get twelve top 10 draft picks, two 2nd overall picks, and two 1st overall picks mixed in, are tanking twice as long as the Devils, and STILL somehow ice a bottom 5 team 20 million dollars under the cap floor. Sigh...

It's a straight joke.

Edited by FanaticSense06
  • Agree 1

Just now, SwampD said:

Just sayin.

Screen Shot 2022-11-19 at 11.28.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-19 at 11.29.12 PM.png

Just saying what exactly? The only reason its at 17 million is because of injuries and we have around 2.5 million worth of contracts against the cap right now to fill in for those players.

With our actual normal roster were sitting at very close to 20 million dollars under the cap.

1 minute ago, FanaticSense06 said:

Just saying what exactly? The only reason its at 17 million is because of injuries and we have around 2.5 million worth of contracts against the cap right now to fill in for those players.

With our actual normal roster were sitting at very close to 20 million dollars under the cap.

So, what’s the question?

They have almost twenty million more in actual salaries of actual hockey players playing the game than the Sabres do and you are wondering why they are winning and we are not?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

So, what’s the question?

They have almost twenty million more in actual salaries of actual hockey players playing the game than the Sabres do and you are wondering why they are winning and we are not?

The Question is why are we sitting 20 million under the cap while were bottom 5 in the NHL for the 12th year straight?

Meanwhile the Devils can spend their money on veterans and be the 2nd best team in the NHL after tanking for just 5 years.

Anyone wanna ask Kevyn or the Pegulas that question? Are we tanking, AGAIN?

Edited by FanaticSense06
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, FanaticSense06 said:

The Question is why are we sitting 20 million under the cap while were bottom 5 in the NHL for the 12th year straight?

Meanwhile the Devils can spend their money on veterans and be the 2nd best team in the NHL after tanking for just 5 years.

Anyone wanna ask Kevyn or the Pegulas that question? Are we tanking, AGAIN?

Gottit. Sorry. It’s pretty much the same question we are all coming to terms with right now. It’s something we have been discussing for a while.

I get the whole keeping your powder dry for when you think you can actually win. I said earlier in the GDT that we will find out this off-season if they actually do care about winning.

Unfortunately, I think we have to wait until then to find out for certain.

Just now, SwampD said:

Gottit. Sorry. It’s pretty much the same question we are all coming to terms with right now. It’s something we have been discussing for a while.

I get the whole keeping your powder dry for when you think you can actually win. I said earlier in the GDT that we will find out this off-season if they actually do care about winning.

Unfortunately, I think we have to wait until then to find out for certain.

Gotta wait for that lucky number 13 right, odd that.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, FanaticSense06 said:

The New Jersey Devils can draft Jesper Bratt, Nico Hischier, and Jack Hughes over 5 years of "tanking", sign a bunch of veterans to surround them with and be the best team in the NHL who are currently on a 12 game win streak.

Meanwhile the Pegulas get twelve top 10 draft picks, two 2nd overall picks, and two 1st overall picks mixed in, are tanking twice as long as the Devils, and STILL somehow ice a bottom 5 team 20 million dollars under the cap floor. Sigh...

It's a straight joke.

idk where they got him from, but we could maybe use a coach like they have. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, FanaticSense06 said:

It's a straight joke.

I have the same question. Aren't you tired of being dishonored? It's like they're bullying the fans. Sell the team if you can't do anything with it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Berg said:

I have the same question. Aren't you tired of being dishonored? It's like they're bullying the fans. Sell the team if you can't do anything with it.

There's not an icon to say how much I love this. Absolutely. They treat us like trash.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

The Sabres should be better at this point in the season.

But, NJ has 2 advantages:

1.  They have brought in more/higher priced mid level talent that can help the team now.  Buffalo is playing Quinn, Peterka, Cousins, and Krebs quite a bit and they are all having major issues with positioning or turnovers.  NJ has more guys that may NOT be more talented, but aren't hurting them the same way.

2. NJ  has 2 key young guys leading the team. Hischier who is 23, and Hughes who is 21.  They have a LOT of NHL experience for their age.  The past 2 -3 years, they played, they often times were VERY bad while they learned.  Now they have that experience and are a lot better.    That seems to be what the Sabres want to do with the young guys...have them learn  "in the NHL, on the ice".  In the long run that may be a good stategy (to be a team like NJ), but you are also going to be not that good while doing it (just like NJ)

• Agree 1

How is it that we keep getting new people who sign up just to whine? I’ll never understand the mentality of “this team sucks… hey, why don’t I sign up to one of their message boards and complain about it”.  Go out and grab a beer. Spend some time outside (ok, maybe not right now). There are much better ways to spend your time, things you can actually control. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, WowieHousley said:

Remember, when we fired Lindy Ruff after 15 seasons?  Yea, that was awesome....

I never wanted him to leave and would have been happy if he were here all that time.  I like him as a person and think he is a good coach.  HOWEVER, I'm not sure even Lindy would have been able to make it through the Tim Murray regime and what happend to the roster during and after that.

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

The Sabres should be better at this point in the season.

But, NJ has 2 advantages:

1.  They have brought in more/higher priced mid level talent that can help the team now.  Buffalo is playing Quinn, Peterka, Cousins, and Krebs quite a bit and they are all having major issues with positioning or turnovers.  NJ has more guys that may NOT be more talented, but aren't hurting them the same way.

2. NJ  has 2 key young guys leading the team. Hischier who is 23, and Hughes who is 21.  They have a LOT of NHL experience for their age.  The past 2 -3 years, they played, they often times were VERY bad while they learned.  Now they have that experience and are a lot better.    That seems to be what the Sabres want to do with the young guys...have them learn  "in the NHL, on the ice".  In the long run that may be a good stategy (to be a team like NJ), but you are also going to be not that good while doing it (just like NJ)

Maybe we are last years new jersey devils 🙂

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Maybe we are last years new jersey devils 🙂

No joking, it might be close to being true and that is why magement may not be panicking as much as the fanbase.  It just might be that they feel Power, Quinn, Peterka, hopefully Krebs and even Cozens are much better plays opening night in 2023 vs what they were/are in 2022.

14 hours ago, SwampD said:

So, what’s the question?

We spent to the cap from 2015-2020 and it got us nothing.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I never wanted him to leave and would have been happy if he were here all that time.  I like him as a person and think he is a good coach.  HOWEVER, I'm not sure even Lindy would have been able to make it through the Tim Murray regime and what happend to the roster during and after that.

He would have had a couple tough seasons.  My real point is I'm starting to disagree with this trope in sports where you automatically fire the coach if the team isn't performing.  I mean, Ron Ralston or Dan Bylsma, sure, but Lindy had proven himself, and continues to do so.

35 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Good point.

Just proves that a spending to the cap strategy, as well as a refuse to spend to the cap strategy, can both lead to poor results. There are time-tested strategies teams use to turn things around, teams will do quicker retools and be successful, and longer builds and be successful. Though, in today's parity driven league, the retool is much more common. 

That the Sabres specifically failed at the spend-more strategy doesn't do anything to rule it out as a viable strategy: the Sabres have failed at everything they have tried in 12 years. 

It just comes down to the aptitude of those orchestrating the strategy. Adams strategy isn't going to work because it's the anointed "correct" strategy, it will only work if he is successful at implementing it. 

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, shrader said:

How is it that we keep getting new people who sign up just to whine? I’ll never understand the mentality of “this team sucks… hey, why don’t I sign up to one of their message boards and complain about it”.  Go out and grab a beer. Spend some time outside (ok, maybe not right now). There are much better ways to spend your time, things you can actually control. 

Because the old fans stay on loyally, and more fans that have probably been conceived, born, grew up, followed the team for a few years, changed to a new team, came back, followed for a few more years, got upset with all the losing, and finally broke and decided to come online and bitch all in the span of time this team has been bad. 

lol seriously though, how is that surprising? What don't people understand about "historically" bad. This is like the "f*ck around and find out" of NHL operations. Be bad for a longer stretch than anyone, ever? Let's see how much complaining we get. 

Your last sentence serves as a good argument for not watching sports in general .

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

We spent to the cap from 2015-2020 and it got us nothing.

That period of time was a failure because too many bad personnel and contract decisions were made. But prior excessive and imprudent decisions shouldn't be a blanket argument to not better use available cap space to not only improve the roster but also put the young players in a better position to succeed. What I'm arguing here is that there is a middle position where judicial decisions on cap spending and personnel can contribute to winning more. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

That period of time was a failure because too many bad personnel and contract decisions were made. But prior excessive and imprudent decisions shouldn't be a blanket argument to not better use available cap space to not only improve the roster but also put the young players in a better position to succeed. What I'm arguing here is that there is a middle position where judicial decisions on cap spending and personnel can contribute to winning more. 

Well said. 

Going Sith mode is needless. 

It's about balance. 

Always has been. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.