Why is it Different This Time?

SwampD

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Fine. But you think once they both come back the Sabres will improve to close to a 98 point pace. You think they will fall short of that in the end. But by how much?

This one def. will get bookmarked.

With no data on how long Comrie will be out, you want an estimate of how many points they'll end up with.  Not f'n happening.

Have fun rereading that one.

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm pretty confident in speculating that Ullmark played hardball with the Sabres and Adams felt he had made him the best offer he'd get so he'd take it. Bruins offer raised quite a few eyebrows at the time as an overpayment. Adams didn't want to be Skinner'd but as we've discussed, he didn't have a back up plan and should have. 

He really should have been going after 2 goalies all the time not just one. 

and, let me add this. I'm sure nobody here would have been excited if his signing this year was Martin Jones, but he was available, and Seattle either got really lucky or did their homework much better than Adams did. 

Fully agree with this plus I think you're more inclined to play hardball if the team you're on stinks 

More money = less stress 

Ullmark took more money AND went to a far better team 

Simple 

Just now, Curt said:

I outsourced the spelling to my auto correct feature.  Doesn’t get any simpler than that.  Jokes on you.

Why would that spelling be in your auto correct? 

Joke fail 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

The blame isn't for Ullmark leaving, it's for KA not having a plan B. When Ullmark didn't sign before the trade deadline he should have been dealt and we should have moved on to plan B then. Teams were willing to trade off goalies because of the expansion draft. If not that, plan C. But there was no real plan if Ullmark didn't sign. It was tank like. That's all on KA. 

This is it.

Ullmark was a very solid and improving goalie (.917 behind a dismal Sabres defense for 2 seasons), but he had two non-contact knee injuries. Trade him to a contender with a questionable backup/starter/injury at the deadline. And if he prices himself out of a return, then so be it. If he doesn't and you like him, bring him back. But you either trade him or you lock him up way before free agency. If the injuries scare you, you deal him at the trade deadline and don't bother with him in UFA.

Never worry about a goalie "blocking" another. You always need two. And if you can trade one, they're easy to trade because it's a critical commodity for any playoff team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It's different this time because in spite of the losing now the future still looks bright. The key pieces are in place in many instances, there is a deep talent pool and we have cap space

I'll go with this.  They do need to right the ship and win a game this week, though.  Forget about the playoffs.  Just stop the bleeding and get the ship back on course.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It's different this time because in spite of the losing now the future still looks bright. The key pieces are in place in many instances, there is a deep talent pool and we have cap space

Problem is the talent pool is years away and there is no plan to use the salary cap to better the roster while the talent pool matures.

Hard to get behind the plan that someday, these guys might be good while the losses continue to pile up (again).

Not convinced it is different this time. Maybe it is because the poor performance will be tolerated by Pegula for a longer time period, because it falls under the "efficient and economic" banner, so maybe there will be a winning season sometime in the next 3 years.  

The ultra slow rebuild with no blockers method.  Can anyone point to another rebuild like this to help me get through the pain of losing?  

I am thinking of taking a break from the Sabres.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Isn’t this optimism cute 🙄. You sound like my 20 year old son before the season started.  I also had that optimism 6-7 years ago when the Sabres had a crap ton of draft picks and incoming young talent including a generational player. Things were all roses then. 

The problem is none of us are Nostradamus. We cannot predict the future. We don’t know what young players or prospects will develop into NHL level talent. We don’t  know if our goalie prospects are even going to sign with the sabres. We don’t know Adams plan on the huge cap space the team has. He could blow it on trash like other Sabres GM’s have done

i hope I didn’t burst your optimistic bubble. You never know. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sidc3000

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Not convinced it is different this time. Maybe it is because the poor performance will be tolerated by Pegula for a longer time period, because it falls under the "efficient and economic" banner, so maybe there will be a winning season sometime in the next 3 years.  

The ultra slow rebuild with no blockers method.  Can anyone point to another rebuild like this to help me get through the pain of losing?  

I am thinking of taking a break from the Sabres.  

You won't find another situation in the NHL like this.  It's unfathomable that in a league where half the teams make the playoffs each year, AND getting top tier picks for more than a decade, that we've gained zero ground on anyone in our division or the league as a whole.  It will likely be an entire generation of fans that will not see the blue and gold in the playoffs, let alone contend for anything.  I piss and moan in these forums on occasion but for the most part, my spirit has been broken  by this franchise and have distanced myself from hockey.  As someone who grew up on skates and loving the Sabres, this is heartbreaking.

5 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

4+ pages in and I don't think that we have answered @SwampD.

It's the same, but different somehow.  How's that?

Yep... Same shiite, different day/year

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Berg said:

A comment from a Toronto fan under the Toronto vs Buffalo game review on YouTube.

They don't reckon with us and openly laugh at us.

It is necessary if you can’t win at least beat the muzzle of the offenders. Then they will definitely see the difference. 

Screenshot_20221121-190650_YouTube.jpg

Whatevs.  Come April their heros will be joining the Sabres on the links about 12 days later.  Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.

• Agree 1

Here’s an interesting statistic from this year, not sure what to make of it.

The Sabres currently have the:

#1 highest-scoring NHL players from the 2018 and 2016 drafts

#5 highest-scoring NHL players from the 2021, 2020 and 2019 drafts.

That’s a top 5 producer from 5 of the past 6 drafts and 2 of those players are defencemen.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Dahlin's next contract will be 8 years $100MM(+), unless he gives a huge home team discount.  Strangely enough he is worth it as far as the NHL goes.

And Owen Power looks like a 25 year old vet out there now, imo. He looks like a natural. 

Let's get a few more legit NHL defenders and roll baby! 

33 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

And Owen Power looks like a 25 year old vet out there now, imo. He looks like a natural. 

Let's get a few more legit NHL defenders and roll baby! 

The Sabres need a long-term partner for Power.  I think the rest can fill in for #5 - #7 for now and see who develops and who is drafted for long-term bottom pairings on D.

It's critical that either Levi or UPL (most likely Levi) develops into a true #1 G.

A few tweeks on the bottom 6 F and the Sabres will be set to compete for years and hopefully get another chance at a cup and not just cusps.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.