Sabres Claim Tyson Jost Off Waivers; Bjork back to Rochester

Brawndo

5 hours ago, inkman said:

The Sabres lost 3 of their top 4 Dmen.* Teams just can’t afford that kind of attrition.   Basically, they’d need a whole backup of top 6 D to satisfy the masses. It’s just not how professional sports works.  

For *one* game.

Being out a Samuelson and a Jokiharju for a stretch is not an injury anomaly relative to other teams, don’t care how many times I need to correct it 

Being out a couple players assuredly IS how sports work - good teams just have the depth to withstand it. I cannot stress enough that, in future, the path to success is winning in spite of said injuries, not in avoiding them. That won’t ever happen. 

I wouldn’t argue it but you could even argue that Adams is blameless because it takes time to accumulate depth and there’s “nothing he could have done” in supplementing the D. But it still doesn’t change the fact that it’s not bad luck. Even if this team can not win without Samuelsson (like, if he’s, say, in a small group of players we can’t afford to lose right now), unless he truly has MVP value of the type NO team could afford to lose, being unable to withstand his loss is a symptom of the team not having the depth required to be “good”, quite yet. 

The Sabres deserve their record. I’m not saying it’s good, I’m not saying it’s bad, I’m not saying it should have been better or it should have been worse. It’s simply an accurate reflection of the roster they assembled. They are their record. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

For *one* game.

Being out a Samuelson and a Jokiharju for a stretch is not an injury anomaly relative to other teams, don’t care how many times I need to correct it 

Being out a couple players assuredly IS how sports work - good teams just have the depth to withstand it. I cannot stress enough that, in future, the path to success is winning in spite of said injuries, not in avoiding them. That won’t ever happen. 

It's not so much the injuries as the who is injured and who replaces them.

Joker is a 5/6 (I think someday he can be a Lydman-type, but right now at his age and experience he's a 5/6), but the Sabres use him as 3/4 and top PK guy. Muel is a 3/4 guy but the Sabres use him as top-pairing lockdown defensive D and Dahlin's life preserver. Lyubushkin is a defensive 5/6, and the Sabres use him accordingly. And Dahlin missed a game, too.

Taking 2 top PKers (Joker/Muel) out of the lineup, limiting Boushh with a foot injury so he's not as mobile or able to be physical, and then missing Dahlin for a game...  and replacing them with Bryson and his clone Pilut (both 7/8 at best) for extended minutes is a big problem, especially for an offense-first team made up of kids. Fitz maybe could replace Boushh for a few games, but when all 3 of those guys or Clague are in the lineup, it's a bad situation. Then, take Okposo out of the lineup and neither goalie making a big, game-changing save, it's a recipe for disaster.

Next year, they'll be able to weather a rash of injuries better from the forwards and goalies.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Joker is a 5/6 (I think someday he can be a Lydman-type, but right now at his age and experience he's a 5/6), but the Sabres use him as 3/4 and top PK guy. Muel is a 3/4 guy but the Sabres use him as top-pairing lockdown defensive D and Dahlin's life preserver. Lyubushkin is a defensive 5/6, and the Sabres use him accordingly. And Dahlin missed a game, too.

Taking 2 top PKers (Joker/Muel) out of the lineup, limiting Boushh with a foot injury so he's not as mobile or able to be physical, and then missing Dahlin for a game...  and replacing them with Bryson and his clone Pilut (both 7/8 at best) for extended minutes is a big problem, especially for an offense-first team made up of kids. Fitz maybe could replace Boushh for a few games, but when all 3 of those guys or Clague are in the lineup, it's a bad situation. Then, take Okposo out of the lineup and neither goalie making a big, game-changing save, it's a recipe for disaster.

Next year, they'll be able to weather a rash of injuries better from the forwards and goalies.

So, what you are saying is, the Sabres are ill equipped at this stage to withstand the types of injuries the more established teams can? This is the crux of my argument, yes 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Very encouraging that Lyubushkin is both hitting and skating the puck.  Dare we suggest his foot/ankle might finally be healed?

6 healthy D would be huge for getting back on track.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Very encouraging that Lyubushkin is both hitting and skating the puck.  Dare we suggest his foot/ankle might finally be healed?

6 healthy D would be huge for getting back on track.

Here's hoping. It's been a month since he blocked that shot in Edmonton (and then missed the Calgary game). If can get back to first-week (and TOR last-year version) going into December, we'll be much improved.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Here's hoping. It's been a month since he blocked that shot in Edmonton (and then missed the Calgary game). If can get back to first-week (and TOR last-year version) going into December, we'll be much improved.

Concerned for his stay-healthy Karma if he's going to elbow people in the head. Yes I know I am the furthest from old-school but I really don't like blatant head shots. 

So after a few games of Tyson Jost, my impression is that he plays faster than his hands can keep up with but doesn't back off the throttle.  He just doubles down when he inevitably fumbles the puck, and goes and gets it back or at least disrupts the other team as much as he can.

He displayed good hands with his goal last night, so given time and space he apparently knows what to do.

He seems well suited to playing with Okie and Gus.  He's probably the highest skill guy that still has sandpaper to center that line since maybe Larsson or maybe Lazar.  High motor, rugged, but enough skill to cash in when the opportunity presents... at least that's my impression so far.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So after a few games of Tyson Jost, my impression is that he plays faster than his hands can keep up with but doesn't back off the throttle.  He just doubles down when he inevitably fumbles the puck, and goes and gets it back or at least disrupts the other team as much as he can.

He displayed good hands with his goal last night, so given time and space he apparently knows what to do.

He seems well suited to playing with Okie and Gus.  He's probably the highest skill guy that still has sandpaper to center that line since maybe Larsson or maybe Lazar.  High motor, rugged, but enough skill to cash in when the opportunity presents... at least that's my impression so far.

Yeah, I get a Lazar-ish vibe.  A little more skill/speed, a little less size/ruggedness.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Get that vibe with a bit more upside to him still in the tank me thinks. The speed, skill and physicality will help that line bloom and maybe improve.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/29/2022 at 9:31 AM, Doohickie said:

So we have the new mike ryan 

• 1 month later...

So this has worked out better than expected.

He’s been OK with both Mitts and Vic, and with Kyle and Zemgus.

People were comparing him to Lazar, but I see more skill and vision there. He’s also far more engaged than the reputation  he brought with him from Colorado. He’s been a frequent puck hound in the offensive zone and seems responsible in ours.

Has been part of a mildly improved PK and has points in 7 of his past 11 games.

Much better than Sheahan or Eakin in a similar roster slot and probably an overall upgrade on Asplund and Vinnie too - more skill than the former and better details than the latter, plus he’s a centre.

Seemed to be a “why” move at the time, but an underrated pickup by Adams and his team.

Fits that mantra of trying to get a bit better every day.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Seemed to be a “why” move at the time, but an underrated pickup by Adams and his team.

I think the "why" is scouting and analytics driven.  I suspect those departments have ranked pretty much every player in the league (or at least those that might get waived) and given them a score based on various parameters including metrics/stats, age/experience, contract status, "personality type" with respect to the Sabres nascent culture, etc.  They probably also have a similar list for what the team needs/wants at any moment in time.  Some players are rated "CLAIM" and some are rated "PASS" (which is why players like Vrana, for instance, didn't draw a second glance).  So before the players are even waived the Sabres know which ones to target.

Edited by Doohickie

58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

People were comparing him to Lazar, but I see more skill and vision there. He’s also far more engaged than the reputation  he brought with him from Colorado. He’s been a frequent puck hound in the offensive zone and seems responsible in ours.

Much better than Sheahan or Eakin in a similar roster slot and probably an overall upgrade on Asplund and Vinnie too - more skill than the former and better details than the latter, plus he’s a centre.

Agree with all of this. And good on you for taking a risk and posting on a month old thread. ☠️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

And good on you for taking a risk and posting on a month old thread. ☠️

The management doesn't like resurrecting zombie threads; I post to several other forums where it's the opposite culture- the general feeling is don't start a new thread when there's already one out there.  Management here doesn't like that because too many people start at the beginning and respond to posts months, even years, old, sometimes by posters who are no longer here.  I get that.  In this case, the thread isn't really that old and I think revisiting the original reactions are valid.

(Just my two cents.)

16 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think the "why" is scouting and analytics driven.  I suspect those departments have ranked pretty much every player in the league (or at least those that might get waived) and given them a score based on various parameters including metrics/stats, age/experience, contract status, "personality type" with respect to the Sabres nascent culture, etc.  They probably also have a similar list for what the team needs/wants at any moment in time.  Some players are rated "CLAIM" and some are rated "PASS" (which is why players like Vrana, for instance, didn't draw a second glance).  So before the players are even waived the Sabres know which ones to target.

Do the score a category for "grit"?  

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

I was super-skeptical of Jost based on his lack of point production and lackluster PK stats with the Wild and figured once the early honeymoon was over he'd be a JAG or we'd gripe about him as much as Mitts. But thus far... he's good. And it's starting to look like the only reasons he was waived were 1) their entire team started sluggish, 2) since then, they've been on a tear and he didn't fit in with the lines that had jelled (just like Asplund/Hino for us), and 3) that $2M price tag with RFA status and Minnesota's ongoing cap crunch from buyouts of Parise and Suter meant he was likely tradebait anyway and no one was biting. It's been a good pickup. Go Jost!

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

This pick up just keeps looking better and better

Yup.  A servicable 3C who can kill penalties for the price of a waiver claim is a great addition.

Too bad 2nd pairing D's never peel free mid-season as cheaply as that.  Still amazed the Aisles found 2 for a 2nd rounder each on roster cut down day back in '14.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.