Sabres Claim Tyson Jost Off Waivers; Bjork back to Rochester

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Ahhh it’s not 13th man forwards we are after - it’s elite human beings 

My mistake 

That said, would you rather have Bjork on the roster or Jost?  If Jost can turn it around under Granato then perfect and that puts pressure on the other forwards just like him to step it up.  If he can't then they can waive him just as easily as the next team.

Either way I bet his better than Bjork.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LTS said:

That said, would you rather have Bjork on the roster or Jost?  If Jost can turn it around under Granato then perfect and that puts pressure on the other forwards just like him to step it up.  If he can't then they can waive him just as easily as the next team.

I hope so but with some of the comments I've read about Jost I'm worried that he'll be Bjork 2.0.  Maybe he'll see this as a last chance to make an impression in the NHL.  We will see.

11 minutes ago, Digger said:

I hope so but with some of the comments I've read about Jost I'm worried that he'll be Bjork 2.0.  Maybe he'll see this as a last chance to make an impression in the NHL.  We will see.

And if you're right and he is Bjork 2.0 there is nothing particularly lost.  They had Bjork 1.0 up in the press box.

If you're wrong, then they are better off.

This was nost likely a nothing move.  Have no issues with it.   And it has nothing to do w/ moves, or lack thereof, on D and in G.  So those complaining about it in that context are off-base.  Things that are unrelated even when one of them is frustrating remain unrelated.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, LTS said:

Don’t have an issue w/the move at all on its face 

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And if you're right and he is Bjork 2.0 there is nothing particularly lost.  They had Bjork 1.0 up in the press box.

If you're wrong, then they are better off.

This was most likely a nothing move.  Have no issues with it.   And it has nothing to do w/ moves, or lack thereof, on D and in G.  So those complaining about it in that context are off-base.  Things that are unrelated even when one of them is frustrating remain unrelated.

Yes I agree it's a low risk pickup for Jost and hope that he finds an effective  role with the Sabres but I do remember thinking the same thing with Bjork when we first got him and that Granato could work some magic.  I heard Marty Biron speculate that this move could allow them to send Krebs down to Rochester to continue developing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Digger said:

Yes I agree it's a low risk pickup for Jost and hope that he finds an effective  role with the Sabres but I do remember thinking the same thing with Bjork when we first got him and that Granato could work some magic.  I heard Marty Biron speculate that this move could allow them to send Krebs down to Rochester to continue developing.

I think that note is the key to this move overall.  It has the potential to create roster competition which hopefully forces players to step up to keep their spot. Bjork wasn't doing that because they all beat Bjork to the lineup out of camp. 

I think if the team had been in this same losing streak and not had the depth of defensive injuries they might have gone after Reilly as well. A mistake in my opinion as they should have picked him up if for no other reason than he has to be better than Pilut or Fitzgerald who are abysmal.

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, LTS said:

I think that note is the key to this move overall.  It has the potential to create roster competition which hopefully forces players to step up to keep their spot. Bjork wasn't doing that because they all beat Bjork to the lineup out of camp. 

I think if the team had been in this same losing streak and not had the depth of defensive injuries they might have gone after Reilly as well. A mistake in my opinion as they should have picked him up if for no other reason than he has to be better than Pilut or Fitzgerald who are abysmal.

Now when ppl complain about Adams not using cap to help the team, this is it. This is where we should all be yelling at the arena because a free defender was there, just cost some money and yet Adams did nothing. This is the type of stuff that annoys, not that he didn't try to spend closer to the cap in the summer. 

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Now when ppl complain about Adams not using cap to help the team, this is it. This is where we should all be yelling at the arena because a free defender was there, just cost some money and yet Adams did nothing. This is the type of stuff that annoys, not that he didn't try to spend closer to the cap in the summer. 

I’ve been yelling this for two years on the defense and goaltending.  I’m sure KA could grab Reilly right now for future considerations.  I can’t abide by any GM sitting on his hands and doing nothing when the team needs support.

The really sad part is that I was almost on the KA band wagon.  I understood his value approach with so many quality young players to re-sign in the coming years.  I thought our offense was now to the point of being playoff competitive and was hopeful that Comrie and the young D would come through on the back end and it worked to start the year.  That is until injuries hit and the crappy depth players had to to play.  KA’s response to the problem was nothing.  Jbot made the same mistakes.  At this point in rebuild 3.0 winning must be the goal and until KA proves he actually cares about winning I’m off the bandwagon.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Would love to know the actual reason Adams didn't go after Reilly.  People put it on him/ Pegula being cheap, but nobody else thought he was worth picking up at his salary this year & next plus an extra $500.00.  Maybe it was simply the price.  But maybe it also had to do with him expecting Reilly would hate being a part of this team & expected he'd be more of a distraction than he's worth.

Can't get on board the "it's strictly to keep salary low" bandwagon at this point because of all the baggage that comes with it.  

And if Reilly would be a distraction, remember that when the D is healthy, he'd be the 6th at best.  The 6th D doesn't get a long leash.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve been yelling this for two years on the defense and goaltending.  I’m sure KA could grab Reilly right now for future considerations.  I can’t abide by any GM sitting on his hands and doing nothing when the team needs support.

The really sad part is that I was almost on the KA band wagon.  I understood his value approach with so many quality young players to re-sign in the coming years.  I thought our offense was now to the point of being playoff competitive and was hopeful that Comrie and the young D would come through on the back end and it worked to start the year.  That is until injuries hit and the crappy depth players had to to play.  KA’s response to the problem was nothing.  Jbot made the same mistakes.  At this point in rebuild 3.0 winning must be the goal and until KA proves he actually cares about winning I’m off the bandwagon.

Is there evidence here or is it speculation?  Just because Boston waived him does not mean they don't see value in him.  We know Adams could have claimed Reilly, what we don't know is what it would take now to obtain him.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

So hes not going to make a trade just hoping a free player will change the roster up .

Man what a joke this team has become 

There's no evidence he's not going to make a trade. There are no trades happening in the league. None. There's barely even speculation.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would love to know the actual reason Adams didn't go after Reilly.  People put it on him/ Pegula being cheap, but nobody else thought he was worth picking up at his salary this year & next plus an extra $500.00.  Maybe it was simply the price.  But maybe it also had to do with him expecting Reilly would hate being a part of this team & expected he'd be more of a distraction than he's worth.

Can't get on board the "it's strictly to keep salary low" bandwagon at this point because of all the baggage that comes with it.  

And if Reilly would be a distraction, remember that when the D is healthy, he'd be the 6th at best.  The 6th D doesn't get a long leash.

Your hypotheses are about all we have to go on. That said, 6th best D is still better than Pilut and Fitzgerald who are both absolutely terrible.

5 minutes ago, LTS said:

Is there evidence here or is it speculation?  Just because Boston waived him does not mean they don't see value in him.  We know Adams could have claimed Reilly, what we don't know is what it would take now to obtain him.

There's no evidence he's not going to make a trade. There are no trades happening in the league. None. There's barely even speculation.

Your hypotheses are about all we have to go on. That said, 6th best D is still better than Pilut and Fitzgerald who are both absolutely terrible.

Well, 6th best D at present in Granato's eyes is Bryson.  Would Reilly knock him out of the lineup considering that Adams and Granato seem to like his potential?

They don't need Reilly to keep Pilut & Fitzgerald in the press box.  That should be Bryson's purview.  Though IMHO Pilut outplayed Bryson in the preseason & at times in the RS.  Would Reilly keep Bryson in the pressbox?  If not, he's a really expensive observer.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is a contradiction. Could you explain that, please? 

8 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

This is a contradiction. Could you explain that, please? 

All the players receive a salary, so in a sense none are ever free.  I believe that Liger meant free in terms of acquisition assets.  It would not have cost any assets to claim off of waivers.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, LTS said:

So he has to have other GMS do trades first so he has the green light ..

jim-halpert-face.gif

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, 6th best D at present in Granato's eyes is Bryson.  Would Reilly knock him out of the lineup considering that Adams and Granato seem to like his potential?

They don't need Reilly to keep Pilut & Fitzgerald in the press box.  That should be Bryson's purview.  Though IMHO Pilut outplayed Bryson in the preseason & at times in the RS.  Would Reilly keep Bryson in the pressbox?  If not, he's a really expensive observer.

This assumes that there will be no further injuries on defense.  If that's the case, Adams can sit on his hands.  However, if he assumes there will be injuries on defense, he might want to proactively address the potential disaster of Pilut and Fitzgerald re-joining the roster.

Or he can stay on auto-pilot, while the losses pile up, believing his owner will continue to fail to hold him accountable based on the belief that the current roster is locked in and is destined to win multiple playoff series.

34 minutes ago, jad1 said:

This assumes that there will be no further injuries on defense.  If that's the case, Adams can sit on his hands.  However, if he assumes there will be injuries on defense, he might want to proactively address the potential disaster of Pilut and Fitzgerald re-joining the roster.

Or he can stay on auto-pilot, while the losses pile up, believing his owner will continue to fail to hold him accountable based on the belief that the current roster is locked in and is destined to win multiple playoff series.

And you're presuming it will once again be a devastation of the top 2 pairings that bring one of those guys into the mix.  If one goes in for Bryson, big whoop.  Even if they're going in for Lyubushkin or Jokiharju they'll still only be getting 10 minutes of soft usage and are perfectly adequate to handle that for a few games.

And if Dahlin's the guy they're trying to work around not being available, Reilly doesn't really help much.

And, this is part of what makes this board difficult, especially when the Sabres are failing on the ice.  People jump on the latest post in a thread (& we all do it) w/out paying attention to anything else said earlier in the conversation.  So then others end defending points that were merely tangential to what the original discussion is.  Really not intentionally calling you out on this @jad1, don't notice you doing that often if ever.  Just needed to vent at the sky.  🍻

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, I mean if it kept Bryson off the ice I'd be fine with that. Bryson has speed.. a skill they do not use.  So he's pretty useless.

50 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So he has to have other GMS do trades first so he has the green light ..

Let's break down your response:

- Green light: The conversation was not about green light. Hell, there's less known about "green light" than the actual trade market in the NHL. You are bringing in something new to try and combat what I said. Typical.. but it has no place here. Why would you even bring it up?

- I didn't say other GMs have to make trades. Your reading comprehension needs work. I covered indicators of an active or heating up trade market. I covered, actual trades, and speculation. Both of which are non-existent right now.

Your response somehow ties other GMs making trades to Kevyn Adams having the green light to trade.  That's not the discussion.  Kevyn Adams could have green lights all the way to California, but if no other GM wants to make a trade right now then it won't really matter, will it.

🙄

• dislike 1

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

The Sabres lost 3 of their top 4 Dmen.  Teams just can’t afford that kind of attrition.   Basically, they’d need a whole backup of top 6 D to satisfy the masses. It’s just not how professional sports works.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

The Sabres lost 3 of their top 4 Dmen.  Teams just can’t afford that kind of attrition.   Basically, they’d need a whole backup of top 6 D to satisfy the masses. It’s just not how professional sports works.  

I understand your point, but I am trying to be realistic.  Maybe my standard is too high:

At worst, I want my #7D to be at the level of Rory Fitzpatrick.  Ideally, my #8D should be at that level too.  I don't think Bryson, Fitzgerald, or Pilut are at that standard, let alone having Bryson in the top 6.  We remember Fitzpatrick negatively because he was forced into #4 against Carolina in games 4 and 5 plus #3 in game 7 and was clearly overmatched.  (How that team didn't get blown out in games 4-7 is still a marvel to me.)  But, IMHO, he was a competent #7.

49 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I understand your point, but I am trying to be realistic.  Maybe my standard is too high:

At worst, I want my #7D to be at the level of Rory Fitzpatrick.  Ideally, my #8D should be at that level too.  I don't think Bryson, Fitzgerald, or Pilut are at that standard, let alone having Bryson in the top 6.  We remember Fitzpatrick negatively because he was forced into #4 against Carolina in games 4 and 5 plus #3 in game 7 and was clearly overmatched.  (How that team didn't get blown out in games 4-7 is still a marvel to me.)  But, IMHO, he was a competent #7.

It's funny, but the only thing I remember about Fitzpatrick at this point is that a year or two after he left, we were supposed to vote for him.  And apparently he's now an elected official, so "vote for Rory" worked twice.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's funny, but the only thing I remember about Fitzpatrick at this point is that a year or two after he left, we were supposed to vote for him.  And apparently he's now an elected official, so "vote for Rory" worked twice.

Great update.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, inkman said:

Right, they'd need something like $20M in cap space to do something like that. 😆.

Seriously, not looking for them to sign 3 or 4 defensemen, but they had a chance to sign Reilly to upgrade the 7th defenseman (whether it's Bryson or Reilly), position and they let it pass.  Would have helped?  Who knows, but it it would have been a better look than doing nothing as the team plummets down the standings.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.