GDT: Sabres @ Maple Leafs, 11/19/22, MSG 📺 WGR 📻, 7pm

LGR4GM

Just now, Thorny said:

It’s officially in “rebuild not quite going to plan” territory now, I’d say. 

Doesn’t mean that ship can’t be righted in season. 

We’ll see if we have the will to do so, or if Pegula, Adams and his analytical team, and the players would rather just roll over and die. 

I believe they are the youngest team in NHL (w Dad OAKIE & Mr Anderson skewing #s).  If they do something, Inthink some Vet leaders who have won in their careers. They need more guidance IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

I was going to wait to game 20 to assess the Sabres.  This game is perfect.  This team has bad special teams.  PP is anemic and PK is a mess.  Team defense is weak.  Goal tending uneven.   Scoring is a struggle.  This stat shows it all 38 goals against and 19 goals for in this 8 game losing streak. The losing streak has ended any hopes for the play offs.  I expect management to concentrate on developing the guys they have and continue the building through the youth movement.  Most of hockey success is the mental game.  These young guys are all over the map in their play.  Granato has his work cut out for him.  

Edited by Nitro60
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

At the start of the season I said I would roll with the losses and enjoy the wins knowing this is likely another year of development but DAMN its hard not being pissed about a streak like this. S’pose its because of the way the team is currently constructed. Not having guys that will block the kids etc. The imbalance of youth and guys that could help. The lack of depth on D. The lack of capable tenders. The lack of grit. As we can see talent means squat if every other metric is lacking. Soooo I’ll try to give the losing a pass and wait for a win. What else can ya do?

It sure hurts waiting.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Frustrating to watch, another loss.
It makes it worse watching the Leafs broadcast where the Sabres bouncing goal is lucky while Tavares’ goal off of his shin pads was his bread and butter play. There are other examples but that one really p***ed me off.

Nobody was hitting the Leafs, they are soft yet outhitting the Sabres. Tage threw a few hits early in the game and Dahlin had a Forsberg hit or two but many chances were passed up to finish a check.

I try and find a positive thing or two but it’s tough tonight. Mule will help a lot but they will still have Bryson and Fitzy as 6-7. This should help as a pitch to Ryan Johnson. He is not the saviour but he could help. In the meantime get an experienced Dman from somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Dahlin will be outta here 

If that happens… and it is a possibility… will put a dagger in KAs and DGs development and roster-building strategy 

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Okposo out

Samuelsson out

Girgensons out

Below average goaltending 

Young team 

no wonder they are losing … so not surprised 

Three players (one defenseman) out of how many? Okie and Gergs haven’t been lighting up the lamp so I don’t think thats the problem. The goaltending is mediocre but if you had a defense corp who actually knew how to play defense, that wouldn’t be as much of an issue. 

3 minutes ago, Goldseatsaud said:

So does a top coach win with this group? The coach from Tampa struggles with this group

First thing another coach does is focus on defensive responsibility. I’m not sure but it looks like meatballs ignores that to focus on offence.

Edited by bunomatic
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I hate losing but the expectations here prior to the season was that this was a development year and predictions were a season with maybe 80 points or so. Watching the games I get the impression that many of the players are somewhat tentative up to the point when they get behind and need to throw caution to the wind in order to catch up. There is a ton of talent on this team but it is young and too inexperienced. Tage will be elite and a league wide star and far outplay his contract. Dahlin is just coming into his own and will be a perpetual Norris candidate. Power might challenge him in the future. Samuelson will be our defensive rock. We have several young forwards on the team now who will blossom and make this team a contender. We have a pipeline of players that every team in the NHL would envy. The future is bright but we can't succumb to the temptation of quick fixes. When watching the games celebrate the wins but focus on the individual player's skill and development. Losses like tonight's will be much easier to take when it becomes apparent that the Sabres are on the path to becoming a powerhouse. 

BTW, Don Granato is the coach that this team needs at this point in time. Whether or not he's the guy that could take them to the Stanley Cup is to be determined but calls for a coaching change like a Barry Trotz (who is a fine coach for a mature team that needs a firm hand) might bring about some immediate progress but in my humble opinion would keep this team from reaching its potential.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.