Blizzards of 2022

GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I live across the street from KB, I called yesterday and the woman at the desk seemed annoyed that I called to ask it they'll open.

Also, I've snowblowed twice already and I still have 2 feet of snow left to do for a 3rd time, so It came down hard at my house. The new Snows on the truck plowed through it all. 

This morning seems to have slowed and moved towards the city more 

12 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Also, I've snowblowed twice already and I still have 2 feet of snow left to do for a 3rd time, so It came down hard at my house. The new Snows on the truck plowed through it all. 

This morning seems to have slowed and moved towards the city more 

17 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I live across the street from KB, I called yesterday and the woman at the desk seemed annoyed that I called to ask it they'll open.

Yeah, they're not turning the lifts on. But you can definitely go ski. I'd venture to guess they have a fresh 4 feet? Lol

26 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

7 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Yeah, they're not turning the lifts on. But you can definitely go ski. I'd venture to guess they have a fresh 4 feet? Lol

If there is no base, don’t they have to groom it first? I remember a buddy of mine during Monday night ski club went on to one of the closed trails during one of the lake effect events. He got really messed up when he wiped out and went right through all the powder and landed on the frozen ground. He basically landed on nasty concrete.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

One thing I'll say as an impartial observer Canadian that lives less about 45min away from Buffalo (who by the way hasnt seen a single flake). Maybe I don't have all the facts 100% correct, and maybe it's the 4 or 5 IPAs talking, but please try to catch my overall gist. 

It seems every year, you hear of all these natural disasters throughout the US, whether it's Hurricanes in the south, wildfires in California, tornados across the plains and Midwest... Etc...  A lot of these places are much more affluent than the Western NY area, and at the same time pay a lot less tax. Then every five years or so, Buffalo gets absolutely POUNDED by a storm that would absolutely cripple any other part of the country. Yet time after time, Western NY'ers dig themselves out. No FEMA disaster money... No help from the rest of the country... They know where they live and spend the necessary tax money to take care of themselves.

I think the areas that live in areas that are prone to other types of natural disasters should pay an additional tax or insurance to pay their own fair share of the FEMA money, that one day they'll be cashing in on. Places like WNY should be exempt, or pay a lot less, because they seem to do a good job of taking care of themselves. 

Just my thought. Best wishes to everyone going through it right now, though I'm sure as always, you'll come through just as you always do.

These storms rarely wipe out large chunks of the infrastructure, though. Digging out and taking a break from life for a few days is pretty much all it takes to get back to normal. No rebuilding is necessary.

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If there is no base, don’t they have to groom it first? I remember a buddy of mine during Monday night ski club went on to one of the closed trails during one of the lake effect events. He got really messed up when he wiped out and went right through all the powder and landed on the frozen ground. He basically landed on nasty concrete.

This is probably true, it doesn't look groomed at all, just a big pile of fluff as of right now. 

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

These storms rarely wipe out large chunks of the infrastructure, though. Digging out and taking a break from life for a few days is pretty much all it takes to get back to normal. No rebuilding is necessary.

Looking at the US Power Outage map there are only 3300 customers out in all of New York State. That is a minor thing as far as storms go.

Good luck and stay safe everyone.

Edited by French Collection

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

The point I was trying to make was that it's not free to dig yourself out. It's a fact of life living in Western New york. If the disaster prone areas spent a similar amount of money paying for some sort of public infrastructure insurance, instead of relying on FEMA it would be more fair.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Anyone that's never skiied fresh powder should not attempt! It's almost a different sport. 

But there's lots of factors at play. Fluffy light snow, you'll go right through about 2 feet of it. It takes pretty good technique to be able to float in it.  That heavy wet crap won't let you sink too deep, but it will also grab your skis and try to take you down. 

Oh, and closed trails are closed for a reason! 😛

I'm just saying, I'd grab the Backcountry gear and I'd be hiking all day today to ski fresh lines. (But mountain ops crews are probably there and they'll definitely be kicking people out for attempting this, so I probably wouldn't get far.)

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Indabuff said:

Looks like one is headed for us this weekend.   Piss poor timing Mother Nature.

“Looks like” being the key word. Buffalo weather is so hard to get right 3+ days out. I’m not gonna worry about it until 8-12 hours before it’s supposed to “hit”. I hope all the hype is just that …. Hype.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I got home last night from storm restoration work in upstate NY and the company I work for has been called back to work possibly through the holidays because the utilities expect significant outages and a shortage of staff.

Water-laden snow with the warm up and expected winds is what I fear. 

There may actually be a blizzard coming this weekend and it's supposed to be the equivalent of a Cat 3 hurricane in terms of how low the pressure gets.

Crazy!! Once in a generation storm system...

Heavy Snow likely as well...first from the actual storm system and then from heavy lake snows once it passes...new model runs showing 3-4' potential from Erie, PA to the snow belts east of Buffalo. Buffalo Metro likely 15-20"...whiteout conditions with winds 65+ mph at times.

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.