Make a trade

Refuting

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Agree on the D & G, but also want 1 more middle 6 vet brought in as well.  As was the case this past offseason.  If they had 1 more F in the ranks from day 1, yes, it's likely one of Krebs, Quinn, or Peterka would've likely started the year in Ra-cha-cha.  Though that was a very unpopular thought this summer, how's that looking in hindsight?

Adding competition is rarely a bad thing & if that keeps Savoie or Kulich or whomever off the Sabres out of the gate, so be it.  In a best case they out perform that vet and either the vet gets risked on waivers or a different young guy spends some time in the A waiting for an injury callup.  In a worst case, the kid's ELC slides a year.  Not really a bad thing when you have a glut of guys at pretty much the same point contract-wise.

I hear you.  For me to F situation is very fluid.  It really depends on how how everyone does for the rest of the season.  At some point they will need to makes decisions on these guys.  Who will sink and who will swim?  Who do they want to keep and who do they want to move?  There literally will not be enough room for all of the young F’s to fit on the roster.

16 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Much as I would like to add one, I am not worried as much about an FA forward.  I believe that another goalkeeper is a necessity unless one of our prospects surprises after the NCAA Frozen Four.  But we need to have 7-8 D who are better than Bryson and who force Jokiharu to the 3rd pairing.  That is likely 3 D and 1 G from outside the organisation before we add the forward I want.  That is a tall order.

Samuelsson-Dahlin

Power-Lyubushkin 

Bryson-Jokiharju 

Jokiharju could already be on the 3rd pair (in a healthy lineup), they just seem to like him a lot.

I don’t think they need to add 3 more veteran D.  Bryson is fine as a 7-8.

29 minutes ago, Curt said:

Samuelsson-Dahlin

Power-Lyubushkin 

Bryson-Jokiharju 

Jokiharju could already be on the 3rd pair (in a healthy lineup), they just seem to like him a lot.

I don’t think they need to add 3 more veteran D.  Bryson is fine as a 7-8.

Agree.  1 more Lyubushkin quality and ideally signing Johnson too.  Bryson becomes the 7, Fitzgerald or Pilut or new guy the 8 with Johnson getting acclimated to playing against men & giving Henri or one of the Buusches a run for their money as the 6 down the stretch.

37 minutes ago, Curt said:

I hear you.  For me to F situation is very fluid.  It really depends on how how everyone does for the rest of the season.  At some point they will need to makes decisions on these guys.  Who will sink and who will swim?  Who do they want to keep and who do they want to move?  There literally will not be enough room for all of the young F’s to fit on the roster.

Even if everyone steps up, would like 1 more vet around as at least 1 of, if not both, Okposo & Girgensons will be limited by injuries if they're even re-signed.  Time catches up to all.  If it turns out a top 9 vet can't earn a spot out of camp, that really is a great problem to have.  It's more likely Rousek or Kulich or even Savoie don't get to the big club as quickly as they'd hoped.  But injuries happen & if there are legit YOUNG NHLers in Ra-cha-cha, well, again, 1st world problems.  It's been so long since they lost Thorburn & risked losing Pominville.  This team wouldn't even have to go there as a Hinostroza or a kid that doesn't need waivers can be sent down.

Want the training wheels off this year, doesn't appear that'll be reality frustratingly.  Don't see any way they can stay on next year.

16 hours ago, John Tucker said:

This may have talked about somewhere, but what about trading Ryan Johnson’s rights for a warm bodied defenseman?  Chances that he signs with the blue & gold seemed remote last I heard.  What might he fetch us?  Spitballing

What did you hear that would make you believe that it is unlikely that he will sign here? Even if he considers all his options after his college career, signing with Buffalo would put him in a good playing situation. It seems to me that it is more likely than not that he will sign with the Sabres. Portillo is an altogether didn't situation. I would be surprised if he signed here.

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

What did you hear that would make you believe that it is unlikely that he will sign here? Even if he considers all his options after his college career, signing with Buffalo would put him in a good playing situation. It seems to me that it is more likely than not that he will sign with the Sabres. Portillo is an altogether didn't situation. I would be surprised if he signed here.

I either saw it in another forum or Buffalo News last spring.  Dunno.  Regardless …ANY Sabres draft pick heading back to school for their senior year throws up red flags.  Playing time aside, the Sabres offer very little to any collegiate draft pick under the current CBA.  I can easily see Johnson signing somewhere on the left coast and close to home.  Heck, maybe the Sabres can package the rights to Johnson and Portillo for an NHL ready player.  I know we get a 2nd rounder as compensation if Johnson walks, but we are beyond waiting for picks to develop.  The longer KA holds out hope to sign one or both will only lower their trade value, one would think.  Again, just spitballing

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, John Tucker said:

I either saw it in another forum or Buffalo News last spring.  Dunno.  Regardless …ANY Sabres draft pick heading back to school for their senior year throws up red flags.  Playing time aside, the Sabres offer very little to any collegiate draft pick under the current CBA.  I can easily see Johnson signing somewhere on the left coast and close to home.  Heck, maybe the Sabres can package the rights to Johnson and Portillo for an NHL ready player.  I know we get a 2nd rounder as compensation if Johnson walks, but we are beyond waiting for picks to develop.  The longer KA holds out hope to sign one or both will only lower their trade value, one would think.  Again, just spitballing

I like you am speculating. But even if Johnson enters the free agency market and makes a judgment of which franchise would give him the best opportunity to play sooner in the NHL, it would be here. And from a competitive team standpoint it would be better for him to join a young team on the upswing than go with a more mature team on the downswing. Just my opinion. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I like you am speculating. But even if Johnson enters the free agency market and makes a judgment of which franchise would give him the best opportunity to play sooner in the NHL, it would be here. And from a competitive team standpoint it would be better for him to join a young team on the upswing than go with a more mature team on the downswing. Just my opinion. 

LA and Anaheim will both have room for him and he's from California 

Casey Mittelstadt. Henri Jokiharju and Anders Bjork to Columbus for Andrew Peeke, Jack Roslovic and a 3rd or 4th.  Peeke is a right handed shot defensemen, how similarly to Samuelsson, is a big boy.  He's got some skating ability, and limited offensive upside.  Roslovic is a player recently healhty scratch recently, still in his mid 20's who can play a bit up and down the line up.  For me this is acquiring Peeke, and still getting some value for Joker, who needs to be replaced.  I think it's realistic and possibly a fair enough deal . 

32 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Casey Mittelstadt. Henri Jokiharju and Anders Bjork to Columbus for Andrew Peeke, Jack Roslovic and a 3rd or 4th.  Peeke is a right handed shot defensemen, how similarly to Samuelsson, is a big boy.  He's got some skating ability, and limited offensive upside.  Roslovic is a player recently healhty scratch recently, still in his mid 20's who can play a bit up and down the line up.  For me this is acquiring Peeke, and still getting some value for Joker, who needs to be replaced.  I think it's realistic and possibly a fair enough deal . 

Trading a top 5 defender for a top 5 defender is counter productive 

1 hour ago, Rasmus_ said:

I’d be hesitant to trade Jokiharju in a deal like that.  He is still only 23 and I think there is potential there to be a #4 quality guy.  This deal would still leave Bryson as the #6.

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’d be hesitant to trade Jokiharju in a deal like that.  He is still only 23 and I think there is potential there to be a #4 quality guy.  This deal would still leave Bryson as the #6.

I know I am in the distinct minority here but I'm fine with Joki as a second pairing defender. And beyond his play, that I like more than others, it seems that Power is comfortable playing with him. I like Lyubushkin a lot because he adds an element of ruggedness to that unit. But I consider him more of a third pairing caliber of player than a second pairing type of player. What I would like to see is another defender brought in to pair with him as a third pair defender. I still believe that Joki has more upside to tap into. 

As a side note: The trading of Nylander to get Joki was one of the better trades this organization has made in recent history. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, tom webster said:

They definitely need at least one more defenseman similar to Mule. His play and its effect on the team illustrates two thing’s definitively.

1) he is very good

2) the team is much better when they have competent defenseman.

It’s why I keep saying acquire a veteran defensive D.  If I’m KA, I’m calling Van and making a deal for Schenn even if it includes a 2nd rd pick.  Bush is playing with some nagging injuries, Bryson is now out “week to week” and we need more real NHL depth.  Schenn is on a 1yr 850K deal and could be flipped at the deadline to recover any cost if management doesn’t want to keep him.  I think his presence would make Bryson expendable and make our D much more reliable and consistent.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

I know I am in the distinct minority here but I'm fine with Joki as a second pairing defender. And beyond his play, that I like more than others, it seems that Power is comfortable playing with him. I like Lyubushkin a lot because he adds an element of ruggedness to that unit. But I consider him more of a third pairing caliber of player than a second pairing type of player. What I would like to see is another defender brought in to pair with him as a third pair defender. I still believe that Joki has more upside to tap into. 

As a side note: The trading of Nylander to get Joki was one of the better trades this organization has made in recent history. 

I'm fine with Jokiharju also.  We all have our opinions, but I think Jokiharju, Olofsson, and Mittlestadt are better players than given credit for (more than a few posters here seem willing to personally drive them out of town to get rid of them).  Jokiharju, when I see him play, I see a guy who makes some, but not a ton of mistakes, who is versatile, and who makes the team a lot better when he is on the ice vs when he isn't and the 'third pair' guys take his spot.

Edited by mjd1001

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s why I keep saying acquire a veteran defensive D.  If I’m KA, I’m calling Van and making a deal for Schenn even if it includes a 2nd rd pick.  Bush is playing with some nagging injuries, Bryson is now out “week to week” and we need more real NHL depth.  Schenn is on a 1yr 850K deal and could be flipped at the deadline to recover any cost if management doesn’t want to keep him.  I think his presence would make Bryson expendable and make our D much more reliable and consistent.

Doubt Adams is bringing anybody in w/ the intention to flip him at the deadline.  So, though an ability to recoup some value might have merit in bringing a guy on an expiring contract in, don't see it moving the needle for KA.

And, after the Devils are in the rear view mirror, Pilut slots in in place of Bryson as they're essentially interchangeable.   Did want another D in the offseason brought in; thought we could see a move right before the season opened.  But after watching them play a month w/ Dahlin, Power, an injured Lyubushkin, & a bunch of 6-9's don't see anyway that their 6th being out for a month or so will move the needle.

And, much to your chagrin, they don't want Bryson expendable, they see something in him that makes them think he could grow into a useful contributor. 

49 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm fine with Jokiharju also.  We all have our opinions, but I think Jokiharju, Olofsson, and Mittlestadt are better players than given credit for (more than a few posters here seem willing to personally drive them out of town to get rid of them).  Jokiharju, when I see him play, I see a guy who makes some, but not a ton of mistakes, who is versatile, and who makes the team a lot better when he is on the ice vs when he isn't and the 'third pair' guys take his spot.

What a lot of people don't account for is that he is still very young. There's more growth potential than many are willing to acknowledge. I don't consider him to be a first pairing caliber of defenseman. But I do see him as a capable #2 player in the second pairing. And it appears that coach Don G. does also. If a better defenseman is brought in and he gets bumped down to the third pairing then that would indicate a high quality player was added to the roster. I would celebrate that addition. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.