Make a trade

Refuting

I think it's time. We have an exorbitant amount of prospects, players and 5'10 wingers who are all the same. 

I get the long term approach, but how many picks do you really need to acquire? Tim Murray did it backwards he traded everything like a madman which was highly entertaining but in the end, he was a crazy man. I give him credit for trying to win RIGHT NOW but he had to go. Still not sure why he traded Neuvirth. But to make no trades at all, and to only trade for picks and prospects is clearly not working. 

I don't dislike Granato or Adams. A full and complete rebuild is the right idea, which is what they're doing. Hope is great, and apart of hockey, but you can't sell hope forever. 

It's clear we need something to shake this roster up a bit, nothing insane, but something. I would take insane though. Nothing would make me happier than to acquire a Shane Doan type. So let's hear your best trade ideas, heck even the somewhat crazy ones. A trade would get this place AMPED and rightfully so. 

I would trade two firsts Mittlestadt and Jokiharu for Bo Horvat and if they wanted a bit more, do it 

MAKE A TRADE ADAMS 

idk if there is interest at this point from other teams or the timing is right. I agree with the idea from a Sabres perspective, but the only thing I see teams wanting right now is salary dumps so they have cap space at deadline time. Guys like Craig Smith in Boston will be available but guys like that aren't going to help. 

I'd trade a forward prospect for a defensive prospect though since we didn't draft any of the upper round ones. maybe somebody would be into that. idk which teams have too many D prospects though. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

idk if there is interest at this point from other teams or the timing is right. I agree with the idea from a Sabres perspective, but the only thing I see teams wanting right now is salary dumps so they have cap space at deadline time. Guys like Craig Smith in Boston will be available but guys like that aren't going to help. 

I'd trade a forward prospect for a defensive prospect though since we didn't draft any of the upper round ones. maybe somebody would be into that. idk which teams have too many D prospects though. 

Agree about timing because no ones desperate yet, but if you could make a player for player trade, what would it be? Do you have a specific guy in mind? Like wow he'd be great on the Sabres or something to that effect 

If you think that Cozens, Krebs, Quinn, and/or Peterka aren't going to get much better anytime soon then go ahead and try to make a trade for this teams sake.

But if you still have confidence that 2 or 3 of the above are going to take anything more than a small step forward this year, then I'd rather wait for that to happen (again, if you THINK it is going to happen)

A healthy Jokiharu doesn't seem to be a first pair D-men, but he is OK on the 2nd pair. At least "OK" enough compared to what will fill that spot if you do trade him away. I'd rather not do that.

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

If you think that Cozens, Krebs, Quinn, and/or Peterka aren't going to get much better anytime soon then go ahead and try to make a trade for this teams sake.

But if you still have confidence that 2 or 3 of the above are going to take anything more than a small step forward this year, then I'd rather wait for that to happen (again, if you THINK it is going to happen)

A healthy Jokiharu doesn't seem to be a first pair D-men, but he is OK on the 2nd pair. At least "OK" enough compared to what will fill that spot if you do trade him away. I'd rather not do that.

Okay I see your point on Jokiharju but still don't think he's anything special at all. Have Vancouver add Schenn in there 

I say Vancouver because they're off to a bad start and they might also like to shake things up a bit. I'd say their roster is better right now than the Sabres. And isn't Horvat unlikely to sign? I'd take him in a second. Boeser has zero goals on the season but has been proven effective in the past 

To BUF:

Boeser, Horvat, Schenn 

To VAN 

Two firsts (or 5 don't care seen enough Mittlestadts and Nylanders) 

Jokiharju 

Quinn 

Peterka 

And could even take more than that but I'd do it 

• Disagree 3
  • dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

Okay I see your point on Jokiharju but still don't think he's anything special at all. Have Vancouver add Schenn in there 

I say Vancouver because they're off to a bad start and they might also like to shake things up a bit. I'd say their roster is better right now than the Sabres. And isn't Horvat unlikely to sign? I'd take him in a second. Boeser has zero goals on the season but has been proven effective in the past 

To BUF:

Boeser, Horvat, Schenn 

To VAN 

Jokiharju 

Quinn 

Peterka 

The other thing to consider is...while some 'break things down and start over' chat still lingers in Vancouver, a lot of it in the Canadian press has died down.  They are 5-4-1 in their last 10, Hughes is back after missing some games and is more than a point-per-game guy from the Defense, Petterson and Miller are starting to play really good and they are only 4 points out of the last playoff position in the West.  

They have a tough stretch of games coming up, but if they can keep their recent play going, espeically with Hughes back and playing great, they might just end up in a playoff race.

They need two NHL defensemen. They can be 4-6 types but they need to be reliable guys. I'll take late 20s with at least one more year of term after this one but I'm not taking a boat anchor.

If they want to swap a forward prospect for a d prospect I'm also good with that. Krebs for example. If someone likes him for a similar tier defensive prospect I'm in.

I don't think Mittelstadt brings much back so you only move him to make room for someone or to dump a contract

• Like (+1) 1

I’d definitely take on a boat anchor, just as long as someone of high quality is also coming back, preferably a defenseman. KA is hoarding all this cap space with the assumption that he’s likely going to have to use it to sign all our players over the next few years. However, it doesn’t look like any of them (outside of Dahlin) is going to break the bank. 

49 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I’d definitely take on a boat anchor, just as long as someone of high quality is also coming back, preferably a defenseman. KA is hoarding all this cap space with the assumption that he’s likely going to have to use it to sign all our players over the next few years. However, it doesn’t look like any of them (outside of Dahlin) is going to break the bank. 

Maybe he's saving it for Kane 

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, Toilet_Mop said:

To BUF:

Boeser, Horvat, Schenn 

To VAN 

Jokiharju 

Quinn 

Peterka 

My God is this one of the most lopsided poorly constructed trades ever listed on the forum. 

no man GIF

• Haha (+1) 3

To BUF:

Boeser, Horvat, Schenn 

To VAN 

Jokiharju 

Quinn 

Peterka 

Hard no on that trade. Just my op

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Cozens?  Power?

To BUF:

Boeser, Horvat, Schenn 

To VAN 

Jokiharju 

Quinn 

Peterka 

I have to agree with Liger - lopsided beyond belief.  Horvat is a UFA in 2023.  Use the Giroux trade as a comparable.  Leader, Center and traded at the deadline last year to Florida.  Slightly older. What did the Flyers get in return? Owen Tippet (High draft pick, 23, hasn't played a full season with 21 points as career high), a 2024 first round pick (two years away) and a 2023 3rd rounder.   So if I knew I could sign Horvat to an extension and thought it was the right move, would I give them Mitts, 2024 3rd round + 2025 1st and Mitts, sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Contempt said:

They need two NHL defensemen. They can be 4-6 types but they need to be reliable guys. I'll take late 20s with at least one more year of term after this one but I'm not taking a boat anchor.

If they want to swap a forward prospect for a d prospect I'm also good with that. Krebs for example. If someone likes him for a similar tier defensive prospect I'm in.

I don't think Mittelstadt brings much back so you only move him to make room for someone or to dump a contract

Wonder if Chris Pronger can still play? 

9 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

I have to agree with Liger - lopsided beyond belief.  Horvat is a UFA in 2023.  Use the Giroux trade as a comparable.  Leader, Center and traded at the deadline last year to Florida.  Slightly older. What did the Flyers get in return? Owen Tippet (High draft pick, 23, hasn't played a full season with 21 points as career high), a 2024 first round pick (two years away) and a 2023 3rd rounder.   So if I knew I could sign Horvat to an extension and thought it was the right move, would I give them Mitts, 2024 3rd round + 2025 1st and Mitts, sure. 

That's more logical. 

11 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Who is Liger? 

4 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

I think our prospects are over valued 

Corey Pronman of the Athletic just ranked the Sabres with the absolute best prospect pool in all the NHL.   Under 22 years.  So while our team may be struggling, there is unanimous sentiment that the prospects are well above average. 

• Like (+1) 2

I like Horvat

SCHENN and Boeser, less so. I don't think trading Quinn and JJP for them is wise. 

1 minute ago, Toilet_Mop said:

Nah. Everything's on the table when you've been terrible for 12 years 

Tim Murray felt that way. It's why Brock Boeser isn't a Sabre already. 

• Disagree 1

Something that we've heard a lot of over the years is that the Sabres are poor at developing their own players. Usually the criticism has to do with rushing them to the big club and putting them in a position that ruins their confidence. Right now the Sabres are being deliberate with their young players and focusing on getting them to play the right way and expecting that approach to eventually turn into wins. I've seen them dominate for stretches this year, even during this losing streak but breakdowns, puck luck and stretches of poor play have done them in. I personally believe that the players we have or most of them can progress to the point that they are really good players. I'm not saying that we shouldn't make a deal for the right defenseman or power forward or a center who is really good at faceoffs but it would be foolish to send multiple prospects away for one player. Management has made the decision to go for a rebuild and the Sabres have a ton of prospects that could turn this team into a powerhouse. Stopping short of playing this out to the point of really seeing things through to the development of our prospects could be just as bad as Murray's attempt at a shortcut. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.