GDT - Sabres @ Senators - Nov. 16, 2022 - 19:00 (EST) - MSG, TVAS, SN and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

See now this I would agree with but it isn't because we are small. It is about willingness and effort. 

We are not small.  We look like average size.  The old adage it is the size of the fight, not the size of the fighter, that is most important.  

Admittedly for me, being an older veteran fan, I want to see us acquire forwards in the mold of Rick Dudley and Danny Gare (not that either was very big, but they played like they were, and they gave us an honest day of work almost every game).   The teams that have these kinds of players, tough and gritty and also with skill, they are not giving them up.  Cozens is in this mold, and he has to prove he has the scoring skills, but he is on his way.   

We might have a few players that fit that mold in our system right now (size is easy to find, size with NHL speed and skill is not).   We just can't trade for them because the fans want to.   Not without giving up a lot.  Look at the Florida trade for Tkachuk, they gave up a great player in Huberdeau plus a very solid player in Weeger  and they traded with a team that thought they could not re-sign their guy.  Then of course we have to contend with no trade or limited trade clauses, which puts Buffalo at a disadvantage.  Free agency, same thing.  

11 hours ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

At this point, Adams HAS to make a move to solidify the roster. When they were winning, I can understand not wanting to block young guys with "just a guy" veterans. But that approach isn't working right now. Losing will poison a culture and undo any good done quickly if isn't curtailed. You have A TON of cap space and a deep pool of prospects. There's no reason you can't dip into that to supplement your rebuild with a guy that can be a part of that future you keep talking about. Go get somebody like Jakob Chychrun.

He won't cares way too much about rebuilding every year

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eman said:

It can. Maybe Lindy Ruff might have something to do with that? People here wrote him off on these pages, but Lindy is a good coach and his teachings seem to be paying dividends in the swamp! Amazing what good coaching can do.

A very good coach. And one who has had many, many kicks at the can (deservedly so). No surprise he can have success again. But he is what he is. A very good coach who's had up and down records since leaving Buffalo. And most importantly precious little playoff success.

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

When we were 7-3, if I was told I had to endure a seven game losing streak, I know I’d much prefer to be 7-3-7 instead of 7-10-0. 

Well, that's just because you don't understand that those are the exact same thing.  Heck, being 7-3-7 is probably worse because it gives the fans a false impression that the team is good.  Just get back on that 82 point pace (providing they aren't so pathetic as to lose a game in OT rather than regulation, they'd then need an 83 point pace to be good) & all will be well. 

And remember, it would be better to be 10-10-0 from here than to go to 9-3-8 from your theoretical 17 game start.  All hail the DeLuca 0.500!

• Haha (+1) 1

Ruff had long worn out his welcome but his team's were at the very least competitive all those years, never bottom of the barrel type. I wouldn't anoint him yet, though. 

He failed with Dallas while Seguin and Benn were still very much in their primes. All it takes is one losing streak for the wheels to fall off. It's still very early in the season and most teams are still figuring it all out, even the veteran so called good teams from years past. 

Losing 7 games in a row stinks, heck even losing 3 in a row stinks, but all it would take is a 5 game winning streak and bang the Sabres are 12-10. We'd all feel great about that, and it is possible. 

Start changing your November ways now and win the remaining games in November. Then we'll have a chance again 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

…but all it would take is a 5 game winning streak and bang the Sabres are 12-10. We'd all feel great about that, and it is possible. 

Start changing your November ways now and win the remaining games in November. Then we'll have a chance again 

@TOR
@MON
STL
NJ
TB

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

@TOR
@MON
STL
NJ
TB

We can beat all of them 

We always have Torontos number, they'll probably be taking us lighter than they usually do. Beat Toronto, in their house, and set the stage mentally to continue the streak. All it takes is one win to start up again 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

Ruff had long worn out his welcome but his team's were at the very least competitive all those years, never bottom of the barrel type. I wouldn't anoint him yet, though. 

He failed with Dallas while Seguin and Benn were still very much in their primes. All it takes is one losing streak for the wheels to fall off. It's still very early in the season and most teams are still figuring it all out, even the veteran so called good teams from years past. 

Losing 7 games in a row stinks, heck even losing 3 in a row stinks, but all it would take is a 5 game winning streak and bang the Sabres are 12-10. We'd all feel great about that, and it is possible. 

Very true.   No better team to start the turnaround then beat the Leaves.  

45 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

A very good coach. And one who has had many, many kicks at the can (deservedly so). No surprise he can have success again. But he is what he is. A very good coach who's had up and down records since leaving Buffalo. And most importantly precious little playoff success.

True but very good coaches are always in demand. I think,as far as Buffalo was concerned he had been here so long it was time maybe for change. Unfortunately he is better than we've had since.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Well, that's just because you don't understand that those are the exact same thing.  Heck, being 7-3-7 is probably worse because it gives the fans a false impression that the team is good.  Just get back on that 82 point pace (providing they aren't so pathetic as to lose a game in OT rather than regulation, they'd then need an 83 point pace to be good) & all will be well. 

And remember, it would be better to be 10-10-0 from here than to go to 9-3-8 from your theoretical 17 game start.  All hail the DeLuca 0.500!

Wait. So now we live in a hockey world where 20 points in the standings is better than 26?

Edited by SwampD

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

And yet the fans in New Jersey were calling for his head mere months ago. 

And they chanted "We're sorry Lindy" just recently. Apology was accepted by Mr. Ruff. All is well in NJ!

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

at least he gets there..........

9 minutes ago, eman said:

And they chanted "We're sorry Lindy" just recently. Apology was accepted by Mr. Ruff. All is well in NJ!

Good to hear. I look forward to the chants of “We’re sorry Donny” when we turn the corner with Granato. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, eman said:

NJ without any stars with 28 points and we with 9ml. Skinner and with 14...

Edited by Berg

16 hours ago, K-9 said:

Good to hear. I look forward to the chants of “We’re sorry Donny” when we turn the corner with Granato. 

Here's hoping! Personally, I like the guy.

12 hours ago, Berg said:

NJ without and stars with 28 points and we with 9ml. Skinner and with 14...

Watched NJ beat the Leafs in OT last night. Totally bought into Lindy's system and extremely hardworking young guys. They deserve their success.

On 11/16/2022 at 9:17 PM, Thorny said:

I don't believe my own sh*t half the time but I'm really, honestly, starting to think there's merit to my theory that until the team says, "eff it, our goal is to win, that's it, whatever it takes, take care of the rest later", they won't. They need an EKG after the willingly low expectations that have been set, year after year. 

We've heard of self-fulfilling prophecies, right? Those are actually things people talk about for a reason. 

If "winning isn't the goal, anyways", wins won't come. 

The covid shortened, disaster 2021 season with Taylor Hall doesn't represent a good faith sample size of "going for it". It's certainly much smaller than the sample size of "development years" that have lead to zilch. 

Well Terry Pegula started with his “reason for existence is to win Stanley Cups”.  Then they spent money foolishly. They never understood the game and how it works.  They probably alienated themselves within the league with their comments and actions.

The league and each team is run by former players.  Some become coaches, some become GMs and execs.  Its a community of its own. Different than the NFL, less lavish, less diverse, and much harder to make big money in. 

You have to do much more than say you want to win.  You can’t just say it and it happens.  You have to be willing to do the things it takes to win.  For Pegula, that would be hiring the right people and getting out of the way.  So far they can’t find the right people and they continue to impose restrictions.    

Instead the new mantra is “efficient and economic”.  Which so far means minimize  financial losses. They do not bring in $$ so they won’t spend $$$.  The spend to the cap floor, not the ceiling.  

The Sabres brand has been ruined since they took over.  The hockey side needed a remake and they lacked the experience, skills, and vision to do it correctly.  Their Pittsburgh and Penn State connections never helped.  

There is no urgency to win or improve .     It is not an organizational goal.  

So far the Pegulas have fixed up the Locker Room and bought the team a dog.  

• Agree 1

On 11/17/2022 at 7:39 PM, K-9 said:

I hope you are correct on this.  Let’s see if Donny can finish the season with more points than last season.  That is a modest goal 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.