GDT - Sabres @ Senators - Nov. 16, 2022 - 19:00 (EST) - MSG, TVAS, SN and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

At this point, Adams HAS to make a move to solidify the roster. When they were winning, I can understand not wanting to block young guys with "just a guy" veterans. But that approach isn't working right now. Losing will poison a culture and undo any good done quickly if isn't curtailed. You have A TON of cap space and a deep pool of prospects. There's no reason you can't dip into that to supplement your rebuild with a guy that can be a part of that future you keep talking about. Go get somebody like Jakob Chychrun.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's a salient point. Winning isn't supposed to be such a precious commodity that we want to save it for later. It's not an endangered resource. A .500 team is like bottom 3rd of the league, it's really, really not very hard to construct a team that can win ~ half its games or, more accurately, attain half the available points. 

Agree but deluca .500 isn't that meaningful of a connotation to me if it's simultaneously of the NHL .500 variety at the same time. I just call that NHL .500 then 

No, no, no.  We've been told for years that DeLuca 0.500 is some mythical wonderment that means a team is good.  Surely, it must be.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

There seems to be this belief that they need to build a long lasting dynasty, that they need to build a team that will somehow just grow together and form a core that will dominate together for however long they play in the league. What they need to do is just put together a competitive team with a goal of making the playoffs, then add and build from that.

Man, this resonated with me. Especially given the recent draft capital they’ve spent. The young players are coming.  Make this team better now!

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No, no, no.  We've been told for years that DeLuca 0.500 is some mythical wonderment that means a team is good.  Surely, it must be.

When we were 7-3, if I was told I had to endure a seven game losing streak, I know I’d much prefer to be 7-3-7 instead of 7-10-0. 

Edited by K-9

34 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

There seems to be this belief that they need to build a long lasting dynasty, that they need to build a team that will somehow just grow together and form a core that will dominate together for however long they play in the league. What they need to do is just put together a competitive team with a goal of making the playoffs, then add and build from that.

Forget seems to be, they've outright said it

I was at this one. Many Sens fans expected to lose, they are down on their team. They didn’t realize how bad the Sabres have been.
Sabres PP needs to change, quicker passing, move players around, shoot and crash the net. Do something!

JJP was a bright spot, just could not finish.

I was right behind the Sabres bench and was saddened by watching Dahlin break his stick like Jack used to.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda but Skinner scoring early may have changed the outcome. They have been chasing other teams almost every game.

They need a spark.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I was at this one. Many Sens fans expected to lose, they are down on their team. They didn’t realize how bad the Sabres have been.
Sabres PP needs to change, quicker passing, move players around, shoot and crash the net. Do something!

JJP was a bright spot, just could not finish.

I was right behind the Sabres bench and was saddened by watching Dahlin break his stick like Jack used to.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda but Skinner scoring early may have changed the outcome. They have been chasing other teams almost every game.

They need a spark.

And I thought the prior game was an embarrassment.  

Thank g-d Adams and Granato got their extensions.  They are certainly doing a great job right now.  

PS the Devils have won their 10th straight.  Guess what folks a rebuild can actually work.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

It takes a true hockey genius to run a power play where everybody stays wide and all you do is move the puck around the perimeter. Possession numbers must be quite good. Analytics and all that. 

I am mildly amused that I am reading all these angry and negative comments about various aspects of the team that are all things I've been saying off and on for years now and have been mostly dismissed and called a pessimist and so forth. I'm not the type to say I told you so but I think maybe I do understand hockey after all. Pegula does not. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ok, another stinker.... Like i said, heavy forecheck team and we are a paper tiger. How many crushing hits did we take last night? How many times did we go in front of the net? How many times did we clear our own crease? This team is not willing to go into the dirty areas and play only on the perimeter. Both in our own end and theirs. Getting Muel back will help our end, but we are not going anywhere unless this team grows a pair and gets in their goalies face. We make the opposing minder so comfortable that they must love playing us. (With the exception of TT blistering  rocket of a shot) We have been hitting a ton of posts and have been getting our chances, but we do not make it hard on any goaltender but our own. This team also looks lazy going into the offensive end. I am sure this is not what Granato teaches them. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And I thought the prior game was an embarrassment.  

Thank g-d Adams and Granato got their extensions.  They are certainly doing a great job right now.  

PS the Devils have won their 10th straight.  Guess what folks a rebuild can actually work.  

It can. Maybe Lindy Ruff might have something to do with that? People here wrote him off on these pages, but Lindy is a good coach and his teachings seem to be paying dividends in the swamp! Amazing what good coaching can do.

• Like (+1) 1

Dylan Cozens is not anywhere close to being Zemgus 2.0 because he is significantly better. 

3.59 expected goals at five-on-five for Dylan Cozens

Dylan Cozens has 3.59 expected goals at five-on-five this season, according to Natural Stat Trick. That’s the third-best mark on the team. He has 11 points this season and eight of them have been at five-on-five. It feels like he could have even more points given how often he’s around the net. He leads all Sabres who have played every game with a 52-percent expected goal share when he’s on the ice. He also has the most hits of any Sabres forward. He’s become one of the Sabres’ most consistent even-strength players this season and may end up as the next player Kevyn Adams identifies as part of the core going forward. He’s a restricted free agent at the end of next season, but the Sabres will likely look to lock him up to a contract before that.

https://theathletic.com/3906204/2022/11/17/sabres-numbers-dylan-cozens-tage-thompson/?source=emp_shared_article

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

At this point, Adams HAS to make a move to solidify the roster. When they were winning, I can understand not wanting to block young guys with "just a guy" veterans. But that approach isn't working right now. Losing will poison a culture and undo any good done quickly if isn't curtailed. You have A TON of cap space and a deep pool of prospects. There's no reason you can't dip into that to supplement your rebuild with a guy that can be a part of that future you keep talking about. Go get somebody like Jakob Chychrun.

More like make a move or two just to fill some holes.  This is not a time to solidify the roster, that is an off season job.  Bringing in a solid veteran on D is a start.  Finding a forward that will bang people and create is much harder to do.  

Not surprising, they lack veteran leadership.  The few that are playing hard must take charge and make the others more accountable   Too many are just running through the motions.  

Comrie is hurt, UPL is up sooner than expected.  The slide is just starting.  Maybe UPL and a few new vets can help stop it.  This looks like last year except the expectations were much higher this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, eman said:

It can. Maybe Lindy Ruff might have something to do with that? People here wrote him off on these pages, but Lindy is a good coach and his teachings seem to be paying dividends in the swamp! Amazing what good coaching can do.

And yet the fans in New Jersey were calling for his head mere months ago. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

Ok, another stinker.... Like i said, heavy forecheck team and we are a paper tiger. How many crushing hits did we take last night? How many times did we go in front of the net? How many times did we clear our own crease? This team is not willing to go into the dirty areas and play only on the perimeter. Both in our own end and theirs. Getting Muel back will help our end, but we are not going anywhere unless this team grows a pair and gets in their goalies face. We make the opposing minder so comfortable that they must love playing us. (With the exception of TT blistering  rocket of a shot) We have been hitting a ton of posts and have been getting our chances, but we do not make it hard on any goaltender but our own. This team also looks lazy going into the offensive end. I am sure this is not what Granato teaches them. 

See now this I would agree with but it isn't because we are small. It is about willingness and effort. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Gotta say I enjoyed listening to Vanek on Rivet & Peter's podcast the other day. They all mutually complained about how our roster has mostly skill guys with finesse but only 4 to 6 spots to put them and when will Adams decide to start diversifying the roster.

I never cared for their show when on WGR, but this is spot on. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.