GDT - Canucks @ Sabres - Nov. 15, 2022 - 7:00 PM (EST) - MSG and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

My brother took this last night.  Real attendance is about half of paid. 

I never thought I would see this in Buffalo.   What happened to the optimism?  

image.thumb.jpeg.d75c961953cdda33697acd7df8c720a2.jpeg

What time was that taken, though? The swords are still up so it was obviously well before game start.

Edited by SwampD

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

What time was that taken, though? The swords are still up so it was obviously well before game start.

It may be early but he said the place was empty and quiet, especially with a Canadian visiting team n the house.  

He has 20 games, split with his son, and they are already frustrated to be losing 6 straight, 4 straight at home, and it’s 2 weeks to Thanksgiving.   

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Not well before the start.  It would've been roughly 7:02.  The refs have just come out onto the ice.  There'd still be a significant number of people not to their seats yet, but significant would be somewhere between 500-2,000; not 4-5k which still would've left the building only 3/4's full.

Tuesday nights are a tough sell, especially without a "name" opponent.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I thought DG's post-game presser was spot-on, as was Fairburn's description in the Athletic: 

They didn't want it bad enough and they got dominated at home by a crappy team.  It's happened too many times already this season, and we're only 16 games in.

That's a leadership and character issue.

Torts would have peeled the paint the locker room during and after that game, usually with results.

I wish I felt confident DG would get results here.

They haven't earned any optimism.  Last night was a disgrace.

This team is dying for a guy like Gare -- preferably a few of them.

Spot on and true. Granato said some accurate things but it still sounded like "learning opportunity" stuff to me. Torts, after a slack effort says things like "they keep playing like that and I will make their life hell". He has brought them in for a tough morning skate the day after a sucky effort. He can't fix Philly's lack of talent, but lack of effort is unacceptable there and I never feel that with Buffalo. It's always just learning and they never learn. 

imo they are learning to lose AGAIN. The leadership is lacking, the effort is lacking, and thus the results are also lacking. There's simply no feeling that this is improving in any way. 

Danny Gare? Ya, definitely. He brought it. Luce brought it. Ramsey brought it. The French Connection slacked and played soft now and again but the D was solid and tough and there were lots of grit players back then like Dudley who brought it every shift. 

That's why I mentioned Miles Wood with 6 goals in the discussion of New Jersey. He's no allstar, but he brings it. It's contagious. We used to have guys like that. For some reason this team feels we don't need any of them now. Makes me wonder if things would be better if Marcus Foligno was still here and perhaps even wearing the C. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He can't fix Philly's lack of talent, but lack of effort is unacceptable there and I never feel that with Buffalo. It's always just learning and they never learn. 

imo they are learning to lose AGAIN. The leadership is lacking, the effort is lacking, and thus the results are also lacking. 

So which is it? The Sabres lack effort, or they don't? 

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're reading that wrong. Lack of effort is unacceptable in Philly under Torts. 

I never feel that that is the case here in Buffalo. 

They DEFINITELY lack effort on many occasions and at some point of most games.

I see. 

I'm not so sure it's a lack of effort rather than not being taught proper defense. It seriously feels like none of them were taught how to play defense, they just stand around in our zone, not sure what to do. 

You can give a full effort but still be terrible at something 

1 hour ago, Toilet_Mop said:

I see. 

I'm not so sure it's a lack of effort rather than not being taught proper defense. It seriously feels like none of them were taught how to play defense, they just stand around in our zone, not sure what to do. 

Did not seem like a full 60 minute effort.  That's 3 times in only 16 games and twice in 4 games.  Both are unacceptable.

And can understand to large degree Granato's not railing on guys for mistakes.  But would be perfectly fine with him ripping them new one's for lack of effort.  And, he really needs to start bringing that on occassion.  Honestly, him throwing a tantrum and bag skating them for good cause (or making them all hit the bikes before hopping on their charter last night - a bag skate is a bad idea on the morning of a btb) likely would get a better reaction than a Tortorella doing the same.  Everybody expects Torts to go psycho every so often.  But the nice science teacher losing his #### could get a reaction.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Did not seem like a full 60 minute effort.  That's 3 times in only 16 games and twice in 4 games.  Both are unacceptable.

And can understand to large degree Granato's not railing on guys for mistakes.  But would be perfectly fine with him ripping them new one's for lack of effort.  And, he really needs to start bringing that on occassion.  Honestly, him throwing a tantrum and bag skating them for good cause (or making them all hit the bikes before hopping on their charter last night - a bag skate is a bad idea on the morning of a btb) likely would get a better reaction than a Tortorella doing the same.  Everybody expects Torts to go psycho every so often.  But the nice science teacher losing his #### could get a reaction.

I can agree with this. As long as he doesn't do it all the time because then the players will start to ignore it or resent him 

I think the best thing about Granato is that he keeps his cool and generally understands his players and the lack of experience. He seems to have a deeper knowledge than past coaches and I can always appreciate how articulate he is 

Someone like Tortorella would fry this team and it wouldn't work. Tortorella does have a great track record and I agree he is a good coach but those antics don't work on every player and I'm not surprised it doesn't 

This losing streak sucks hard but I do feel Granato is a smart coach who will figure it out and I do still think the Sabres will turn around. 39 wins was my prediction before the season started I'm sticking with it 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Toilet_Mop said:

I see. 

idk, I've watched every game so far this year. I see flat performances. They don't dig down when behind, they don't give extra. They basically don't break a sweat. When's the last time you saw them come off the ice sweating and exhausted? 

Standing around is just that, standing around, and looking for somebody else to do the work. Even Cozens, who is the least of the offenders is often trying to block shots with his stick instead of his body. So yes, they need to learn to play D, but they also have to be willing to do what it takes.

37 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

I can agree with this. As long as he doesn't do it all the time because then the players will start to ignore it or resent him 

I think the best thing about Granato is that he keeps his cool and generally understands his players and the lack of experience. He seems to have a deeper knowledge than past coaches and I can always appreciate how articulate he is 

Someone like Tortorella would fry this team and it wouldn't work. Tortorella does have a great track record and I agree he is a good coach but those antics don't work on every player and I'm not surprised it doesn't 

This losing streak sucks hard but I do feel Granato is a smart coach who will figure it out and I do still think the Sabres will turn around. 39 wins was my prediction before the season started I'm sticking with it 

Screw the players if they ignore it. That'll simply mean we have the wrong players. The players should NOT be okay with losing either.

9 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

It's the goaltending not the defense.

All teams have defensive lapses. The stats show, we're actually pretty good at NOT giving these up. 

Our goaltending on the other hand is less reliable than most of the league.

The defence is absolute a$$. It stinks. It is, and has been (along with prior goaltending, the achilles heel of this club the past several seasons) Watching these Sabre games and seeing the numerous odd man rushes, 2 on ones, 3 on two's and clear cut breakaways is alarming. I think our goaltenders have actually done a decent job stopping most of those from ending up in the net. Way too porous D!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.