OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

Relevant to previous discussions about ABS and snow:

http://jalopnik.com/how-to-stop-on-snow-with-abs-brakes-1790269905

For me, this seems like one of those things I’m going to have to practice in a parking lot a couple times before I feel confident I won’t b-line into a tree.

I won't deny that some people are better off without ABS in the snow, but the vast majority drivers are like the author:  They haven't played around enough in the snow to trust their own abilities over the technology of ABS.

This becomes quite an interesting problem when you consider self-driving technology.  Can you program in the "soft braking" described in the article?  Having no experience with self-driving technology myself, it makes me wonder how self-driving cars "decide" how heavy they should be on the accelerator and the brake.

I won't deny that some people are better off without ABS in the snow, but the vast majority drivers are like the author:  They haven't played around enough in the snow to trust their own abilities over the technology of ABS.

This becomes quite an interesting problem when you consider self-driving technology.  Can you program in the "soft braking" described in the article?  Having no experience with self-driving technology myself, it makes me wonder how self-driving cars "decide" how heavy they should be on the accelerator and the brake.

Good thoughts about the self driving stuff. I really don't know how self driving cars are going to handle the unpredictable nature of winter driving. I think you'd have to program the systems to recognize when typical ABS pulsing isn't the right answer to a traction issue. Ideally you'd want the self driving car to brake with a more human touch. I don't know how that happens. How is a self driving car supposed to tell the difference between black ice, slush, deep snow, etc?

I'm just not sure I agree with this, even with those who think they are.

I'm just not sure I agree with this, even with those who think they are.

There are certainly people that have the ability to outperform ABS. I think Doohickie is on the right path though that the set of people that are better than ABS, in a situation that they can significantly outperform ABS, and (this is the big one) they're prepared and focused to perform maximum effort braking is vanishingly small. It's one thing to beat ABS in tests where the driver is ready to perform the maximum for each test, it's another to be that vigilant on your entire 40-minute commute home on a Wednesday night. I consider myself a student of the driving arts (ha), but I know that in panic braking situations I'm not that good.

A motorcycle magazine ran ABS vs. not tests awhile back and for that test, the best humans could do bested the ABS by 2 ft in stopping distance on dry pavement. On wet, only one guy could beat ABS consistently and when asked, he was using tricks like, "well, the manhole is only 2 ft wide so I can just let the front tire slide over that and it'll be fine, where the ABS detected the lock-up but didn't recover immediately when it got back onto pavement. My bike has ABS; I know that in an emergency it'll be better than me.

There are certainly people that have the ability to outperform ABS. I think Doohickie is on the right path though that the set of people that are better than ABS, in a situation that they can significantly outperform ABS, and (this is the big one) they're prepared and focused to perform maximum effort braking is vanishingly small. It's one thing to beat ABS in tests where the driver is ready to perform the maximum for each test, it's another to be that vigilant on your entire 40-minute commute home on a Wednesday night. I consider myself a student of the driving arts (ha), but I know that in panic braking situations I'm not that good.

A motorcycle magazine ran ABS vs. not tests awhile back and for that test, the best humans could do bested the ABS by 2 ft in stopping distance on dry pavement. On wet, only one guy could beat ABS consistently and when asked, he was using tricks like, "well, the manhole is only 2 ft wide so I can just let the front tire slide over that and it'll be fine, where the ABS detected the lock-up but didn't recover immediately when it got back onto pavement. My bike has ABS; I know that in an emergency it'll be better than me.

I've never ridden a bike with ABS. I don't know how I feel about that.

Haha, you'd probably die inside my house. The thermostat better not kick on until it's 20 degrees outside. Hoodies and sweatpants, all winter long.

:o No thank you, lol.

Teasing or not... this cold is kicking my ass.  I finally got some antibiotics; hopefully I'll be better by the holiday.

:( Feel better, Doohickie!

Buncha pansies... I went snowboarding yesterday and it was in the single digits outside. :P

Smack down Bio is my favorite Bio!

No pickup truck should ever again be produced with out at least rear ABS. The difference with and without is so great when empty that I would never ever think of getting one again without it. I currently have one with and one without, the non ABS truck is on it's last winter with me. 

No pickup truck should ever again be produced with out at least rear ABS. The difference with and without is so great when empty that I would never ever think of getting one again without it. I currently have one with and one without, the non ABS truck is on it's last winter with me. 

My Fiat 500 has the same problem.  It's so light in general, and especially in the back, that I probably would have wrecked it by now if it didn't have ABS :w00t:.  I think the short wheelbase makes it kind of unstable too.

I've never ridden a bike with ABS. I don't know how I feel about that.

Do be honest, it only seems to come up for me when the surface is chunky or bumpy, and even then all it feels like is bike mildly lurches forward a bit mid-stop. I've only noticed it a handful of times in the 73,000 miles I have on the bike. On dry or wet pavement, the tires these days are so good it doesn't even activate. This will throw you for a loop: my bike as servo-assist power brakes. Most people seem to hate them, but as this is my first street bike I don't mind them because I'm not used to anything else. And man, my bike may be under-powered and overweight (like me), but BMW didn't skimp at all on the brakes; they're *so* good and with ABS you can just grab all it without worrying.

In about 36 hours we went from -35c (wind chill) to +10c and back to -20c (wind chill) ... to me wind chill is all that matters.

Forgot to post this earlier this week: My house went from snow to 32 and rain on Saturday, to 55 and rain on Sunday, and back to 22 Monday morning.

Edited by MattPie

Do be honest, it only seems to come up for me when the surface is chunky or bumpy, and even then all it feels like is bike mildly lurches forward a bit mid-stop. I've only noticed it a handful of times in the 73,000 miles I have on the bike. On dry or wet pavement, the tires these days are so good it doesn't even activate. This will throw you for a loop: my bike as servo-assist power brakes. Most people seem to hate them, but as this is my first street bike I don't mind them because I'm not used to anything else. And man, my bike may be under-powered and overweight (like me), but BMW didn't skimp at all on the brakes; they're *so* good and with ABS you can just grab all it without worrying.

Forgot to post this earlier this week: My house went from snow to 32 and rain on Saturday, to 55 and rain on Sunday, and back to 22 Monday morning.

Mmmmm BMW bike tech is so nice. I think ABS makes a lot of sense on bikes. Locking up the tires on a car isn't going to throw you head first into traffic. Being able to just clamp on that front brake and let the ABS do the work must be awesome. 

Mmmmm BMW bike tech is so nice. I think ABS makes a lot of sense on bikes. Locking up the tires on a car isn't going to throw you head first into traffic. Being able to just clamp on that front brake and let the ABS do the work must be awesome. 

Yes I can see where bike braking needs to be a bit more sensitive to wheel lock. One of the many reasons I don't have any desire to ride a motorcycle anytime soon.

Mmmm global warming...

I think you are on to something there.  Just watch this global warming become a thing.

EDITED:

DAMN PHONE!!

(and I am not even on my phone, but I have learned to blame it every time)

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS