OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

I don't think this is true at all. Though I don't know for sure, I'd bet there are winter driving studies about ABS has reduced weather-related crashes.

It's also my experience, anecdotally of course, that those who are most fervently against ABS and the like also grossly overestimate their driving skills :nana:

Maybe :lol:

But I like driving in snow. I like the challenge. In my college days I'd go looking for the worst I could find. The day after I got my learners permit my dad took me over to the park and had me practice doing slides and skids in the fresh February snow. In a 1990 Caprice. With no ABS.

Of the cars I've owned over the years, my favorites in the snow, in order:

1. 1990 Caprice

2. 1999 Suburban

3. 1984 Delta 88

4. 2001 LeSabre

5. 1998 Plymouth Voyager

6. 2015 VW Golf

I haven't driven the 96 Roadmaster in the snow yet, but there's a reason I bought it to get me through when the Golf gets bought back on Saturday morning. :p

I feel I should say something about tires. Modern snow tires are the bomb. If I lived where it snowed a lot I would have them on all my cars. I narrowly made the decision to put all-seasons on Van-dor a couple weeks ago. If not for it requiring run-flat tires, I would have seriously considered putting snows on and then getting new rims and tires in the spring. What do yo think?

post-1315-0-69852500-1481837077_thumb.png

I feel I should say something about tires. Modern snow tires are the bomb. If I lived where it snowed a lot I would have them on all my cars. I narrowly made the decision to put all-seasons on Van-dor a couple weeks ago. If not for it requiring run-flat tires, I would have seriously considered putting snows on and then getting new rims and tires in the spring. What do yo think?

attachicon.gifVan-dor.png

Pretty snazzy for a mini-van, but still a mini-van.

You know you are old (sorry, a family guy) when ...

I regretted a bit today not getting snows on the Corolla, with a bit of snow, but the real problem was the lack of snow removal equipment on the roads.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

attachicon.gifVan-dor.png

Snow tires are worth every penny if you're serious about snow driving. 

Are we going to agree on everything today? :w00t:

Wait for it...

What's your opinion on "infotainment" centers? 

It's such a pain. I'm from the school of "pump yo brakes" so I know how to slow down like a grown up. Nothing worse than ABS trying to kick in while I'm doing the lords work with the brake pedal. 

Those tv's they put in cars to distract chet and muffy from the depressing reality of their real lives?  

Sounds like it's a terrible car.  :lol:

We are!

It was a 99, but I find the ABS system on my 2015 Golf to be just as invasive. I like to feel what my car is doing through the pedal. As soon as that ABS kicks in you lose all pedal feel.

Nothing worse than some dope in a front wheel drive car with their foot planted to the floor sliding towards you because they didn't slow down enough for a turn. I think most winter accidents happen while turning and/or going too fast. Eliminate ABS and you learn really quick all of the driving things you're doing wrong. ABS makes people bad drivers.

Yes!

It's true

Snow tires are worth every penny if you're serious about snow driving. 

And there's the clincher!

200.gif#18

Edited by Touched by Boyes

If you want to learn how to handle a car, learn how to drive in the snow with the worst car possible. For me it was a 91 Mustang with a 5 speed and highway tread. That'll sharpen your skills haha.

I had one of those, but it was a 1987.  My first car and I loved it, but it was horrible in the winter.  Rear wheel drive and light in the back, but I learned how to drive it well in the winter.

If you want to learn how to handle a car, learn how to drive in the snow with the worst car possible. For me it was a 91 Mustang with a 5 speed and highway tread. That'll sharpen your skills haha.

First car was a 99 Mustang with a bad axle. Threw bags of play sand in the back and that sucker still'd fishtail in light dew. Certainly learned! 

I had one of those, but it was a 1987.  My first car and I loved it, but it was horrible in the winter.  Rear wheel drive and light in the back, but I learned how to drive it well in the winter.

First car was a 99 Mustang with a bad axle. Threw bags of play sand in the back and that sucker still'd fishtail in light dew. Certainly learned! 

Yup, those care are definitely light in the ass. 

Great fun in an empty parking lot.  :D

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Wait for it...

Those tv's they put in cars to distract chet and muffy from the depressing reality of their real lives?  

We are!

Yes!

It's true

And there's the clincher!

200.gif#18

The VW Claims Rep at the buyback appointment today agreed with me on all points here. He owned multiple Roadmasters and his secret dream is to have a hearse. Apparently there's a HUGE hearse club around here called Ride In Peace. Their website is incredibad: http://slotcar64.freeyellow.com/rip_1.html

Apparently they partner with a group called Buffalo Zombies for Charity to do a car show every year. 

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloZombiesForCharity/

What world do I live in?  :lol:

I never posted the winter is coming 2016 edition on TBD TSW... I can usually predict weather with farmers almanacs, persimmons, foggy Augusts, standing water, wooly worms and iron wood.

Its gonna be wet up north. Cold in Midwest, but most elsewhere. Here innthe Carolinas from the old Dominion to the mid coast it'll be a mix of all things. The fog was plentiful. But the persimmons had knives in them. The iron wood half floats and wooly worms were all over the place. The farmers almanac seems spot on this farm in

It was 20° Saturday morning. Tomorrow it'll be 70°...

Lol you know I'm only teasing... I'm the pansy who wears granny biker gloves, a vest, and a (winter) scarf inside at work when it's 67 degrees! :lol:

Haha, you'd probably die inside my house. The thermostat better not kick on until it's 20 degrees outside. Hoodies and sweatpants, all winter long.