OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

The man is talking temps in C not F. It's cold, but not THAT cold. 

And if you want cold, you need to go no further than the upper Adirondacks near Lake Placid...

tomorrow the high/low is supposed to be -9/-25 F not C, and wind on top of that making wind chills 45-50 below zero.

image.thumb.png.71a95a1a3a618787174bde5c3c472ff5.png

That's still unnecessary.

-16 and feels like -27 right now.

That's +3 and -17 for yous degrees F heathans.

Going to be -23 and feel like -39 early tomorrow morning and not much better all day and Sunday.  Monday may be okay.  Hope we don't lose power (high winds too).

That's -9 and -38 for yous guys.  Very near the -40 equalization.

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Going to be -23 and feel like -39 early tomorrow morning and not much better all day and Sunday.  Monday may be okay.  Hope we don't lose power (high winds too).

For being so far north you are pretty mild in comparison to some places...

Rght now in Lake Placid, NY it's -24 F with a wind chill of -48F...low is suppose to be -31F with a wind chill of -55F

Even Buffalo is 7F with a low of -2F 

Edited by matter2003

I spent all last week in Quebec and it was unseasonably warm for being late January. We had a couple cold days, but this whole cycle of warmth (global warming, whatever you call it) is awful. 

My first year really into skiing and the hills have been mostly junk, even next week it's going to be in the 40s, in FEBRUARY IN BUFFALO! I remember February being the longest month ever in the past for it being brutally cold and snowy, now, I may need an umbrella, unreal. 

10 hours ago, matter2003 said:

For being so far north you are pretty mild in comparison to some places...

Rght now in Lake Placid, NY it's -24 F with a wind chill of -48F...low is suppose to be -31F with a wind chill of -55F

Even Buffalo is 7F with a low of -2F 

Being right on the Atlantic (literally ... I can see it from my office window and can walk to it in not even 1 minute) helps moderate things.

That said, we have been having a mild and relatively dry winter.  Rain more than snow.  We have been having more and more tropical storms in the last few years.  Hurricane Juan (2003) devastated the area and it was a new thing.  Since then we have had many more hurricanes and near hurricanes than ever.  We have had torrential rains and winds when advisories had to be issued in January this year.

@Wyldnwoody44 is right in that something is going on ... global warming / changing is a thing that is real.  How much impact we are having can be debated and in the end it doesn't really matter.  Our time on the planet is just a blip.  Our planets time in the universe is just a blip.  Earth will be here long after we humans have died off in the next mass extinction.  A new Earth will replace this one eventually.

Anyway, this extreme cold is not the norm, but the norm is changing quickly.

17 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Hope you're doing fine on the East coast NS.

Pretty cold this morning in Ontario at (-18 C) but a clear crisp day otherwise and roads are good for travel.

Every year when it gets this cold I miss my old wood-stove.  Nothing like a nice wood fire to warm up with.  

2 minutes ago, Digger said:

Pretty cold this morning in Ontario at (-18 C) but a clear crisp day otherwise and roads are good for travel.

Every year when it gets this cold I miss my old wood-stove.  Nothing like a nice wood fire to warm up with.  

-36 here last night, -14C now.

There were still embers in the wood stove this morning to get it going again. There is no heat like it.

Stay safe everyone.

• Thanks (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Digger said:

It was bad all night, but is better this AM.

It's actually warming up rapidly and will be +3 (feels like -3) this afternoon with the wonderful *mixed precipitation* ... now that's more like it.

Wood stove was burning all day yesterday and into the night.  Let it die down overnight, but still toasty in here.  I am working in my office this morning (taking a bit of a break to catch up here) so I have not started the fire yet.  it may be too warm out later this afternoon to light a fire, but will be burning this evening / night.  I agree, there is nothing like it.  You need to get one installed, my friend.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This winter sucks horribly. It never snows in the Poconos as it is, but this is ridiculous. We're under 10 inches on the season. We average 68 inches. We can't even make snow on the mountains because it's 50 degrees everyday. Awful. Just awful. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

So last week North of Buffalo, we had an ice storm that turned our property into a skating rink. I had 3 cars in the driveway and a good foot of hard ice formed all around the cars. Refused to melt. My daughter and I went out today for a good couple hours and chopped the still melting ice with our warm weather. 

We have another storm coming Friday night with 8-12 inches of snow predicted. My snow blower would have been wrecked if I used it without clearing these rock hard mountains of ice all over my driveway. Glad it's finally done but I'm old and now sore as all hell from doing that. 

Aging Old Man GIF by A&E

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Welcome to spring storm season in Texas.  @RochesterExpat, @Redneck, @Spoonman and I are all in the pink area.

Meanwhile, 23 years ago in Fort Worth....

We have the championship for 8U hockey in Plano today at 6pm and it's business as usual. I am not thrilled about a 90 mile drive in this weather.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

On 2/13/2023 at 6:59 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Snowfall Warning for this afternoon and overnight,

25cm ... 10" expected.

Keep in mind that this is Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and not Buffalo, New York, USA.

25cm is a lot for us in one go.

Strong winds from the North to boot.

@Sabres Fan in NS going to outhouse between periods tonight.

Snow Winter GIF by National Geographic Channel

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Welcome to spring storm season in Texas.  @RochesterExpat, @Redneck, @Spoonman and I are all in the pink area.

Meanwhile, 23 years ago in Fort Worth....

@Doohickie@RochesterExpat& @Redneck

Fort Worth:  National Weather Service: SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING in effect for this area until 6:30 PM CST for DESTRUCTIVE 80 mph winds. Take shelter in a sturdy building, away from windows. Flying debris may be deadly to those caught without shelter.

13 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

@Doohickie@RochesterExpat& @Redneck

Fort Worth:  National Weather Service: SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING in effect for this area until 6:30 PM CST for DESTRUCTIVE 80 mph winds. Take shelter in a sturdy building, away from windows. Flying debris may be deadly to those caught without shelter.

I just got back from walking the dogs.  The tornado sirens lit up while we were out.

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I just got back from walking the dogs.  The tornado sirens lit up while we were out.

FYI @DoohickiePete Delkus (local weather guy) said they are ‘storm sirens’ now not Tornado. Advising of heavy weather / winds. New to me too…..