Do you Believe

Crusader1969

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

No i do not believe I've heard this story countless times

We're on what year 11? on a rebuild 

I agree the first rebuild was a failure due to Murray’s impatience

the Philosophy completely changed with Adams came on board and he’s sticking to his plan   

so to me , this is just year 2.  

If you don’t have optimism for your team, why do you continue to watch? 

maybe there are some that just enjoy misery? 

11 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

the Philosophy completely changed with Adams came on board and he’s sticking to his plan   

Im hoping they get a real goaltender and a real coach. 

Once they get that maybe things will start to change 

• dislike 2

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

They better stick to it!

It was dumb to Fire Bylsma/Murray. They, also, were only two years in to trying to win.

Until they are not paying retired players to get to the cap floor, I have serious questions.

And they HAVE to make the playoffs next year.

The Sabres - Always Two Years Away.

Edited by SwampD

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Im hoping they get a real goaltender and a real coach. 

Once they get that maybe things will start to change 

I love Granato but I'm already seeing that he will have his ceiling and it won't be enough to get this team any further than bubble team.  Prove me wrong, Donny.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

It’s been a rough couple of weeks.  I’m just looking for anything to cling to with hope.  None of my teams are cooperating.

I thought I was losing my mind and my ability to count, so I had to double check it.  The Sabres are 1-5 in November.  The sky is no longer falling!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Prospects are nothing guaranteed until they can be key pieces of a playoff team.  Edmonton over the last decade is the perfect example.  

We aren’t even at the key pieces to a non playoff team stage.  We’ll still be wondering if Casey Mittlestadt is a prospect at 37 years old. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

The way I see it this whole conversation hinges on two goalies playing in the NCAA who may or may not be good in the NHL. Until there is an actual human goaltender on this team who is capable of stopping the puck on a better than average basis playoffs are a dream. On top of that the organizations utter lack of defensive depth has been lain bare this last couple weeks.

So apart from needing the two positions that require the most development and are seemingly the biggest crap shoots yeah things are just ducky.

When does a player stop being a "prospect?"  Dylan Cozens, for example, is in his third year in the NHL and is a full-time NHL player that plays a regular shift.  It he still considered a prospect?  This isn't to say that Cozens is not still a young player who can develop more and become a better player.

If a rookie comes into the league at age 18, plays a full-season with a regular shift at the NHL level, lights it up and wins rookie of the year, is that player still a prospect in their second season?

And, as to the original thread, yes, I still believe.  This young team was not going to play .700 hockey (or whatever pace they were on a couple of weeks ago) all season.  They around .500 and have had a bad run against some good teams (excepting Arizona, who, although playing better, does not qualify as a good team).  By all accounts, they are still playing hard and staying competitive.  From what I have read, they played strong, competitive hockey against Carolina, Tampa, Vegas, and Boston, but ultimately lost out to better teams.  If they play that way against most teams, they should pick up their fair share of wins.  The younger players will improve.  Not everyone has the talent/skill to be as a good as Thompson and Dahlin, but they are two examples of patience with young players paying off.  I expect a few others among the group of Peterka, Quinn, Krebs, Cozens, Power, Samuelsson, and others (not to mention draft picks in Rochester and juniors) to improve over time and be very good NHL players.  Goaltending does still need to be sorted out and if they don't sign Levi or Portillo (or both) for next season, moves will need to be made.

Although this 11 year period has been rough, you have to remember that they basically started over when they moved on from Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, Ullmark, etc.  Rather than short-circuiting it like Murray tried to do, they need to stick to the plan this time.  And I think that Granato is a good coach.  I hear people say that he's a good coach "for now" but not the guy to get us over the top.  That may be true, but how in the hell would anyone know that now?  The team has not been a real playoff hunt, or in a playoff game, since he's been with the team, nor would anyone expect them to be, given the rosters that have been in place.  They certainly did well in "high-profile" games last year.  For now, it's a developing team, and Granato is a good coach for that kind of team.  If they become a playoff team, then we can judge how Grantao does with that kind of team.  And if they don't eventually become a playoff team, Granato won't be around for us to find out how good or bad of a coach he is with that kind of team.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I thought I was losing my mind and my ability to count, so I had to double check it.  The Sabres are 1-5 in November.  The sky is no longer falling!

And 6-3 in October. MISINFORMATION tweet.

As for me, just bummed. We had the fancy stats to support it after 10 games this year.  Hoping Mule and Joker get us straight.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

And 6-3 in October. MISINFORMATION tweet.

As for me, just bummed. We had the fancy stats to support it after 10 games this year.  Hoping Mule and Joker get us straight.  

The entire post is screwed up for the Sabres.

6-3 in October.

1-5 in November.

7-8 overall (not 6-10, they haven't even played 16 games yet) w/ 4 very winnable games coming up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.