GDT: Boston at Buffalo, Nov. 12, 2022, 7pm, MSG, WGR

Eleven

53 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

To me the game shifted when Dahlin got hurt in the second period and we couldn’t clear the zone and get a change for a long time.  We finally did, Dahlin left the game, and Boston took over and scored on the next shift.   We never really challenged after that IMO.  We hit a few posts but could not score.  

But Boston DIDN'T score on that next shift.  The Rat Faced Git punched Lyubushkin in the face battling for position in front of the Sabres net on that next shift & Buusch got called for roughing reacting to it.

The B's then scored on the 3rd shift of the PP.

But the B's didn't dominate the end of the period beyond that goal & they didn't dominate the beginning of the 3rd.

And, again, IMHO, the game changed on the 5th shift of the 3rd when the B's started to consistently get the matchups they wanted.  THAT is where the game changed.  And that is on the coach stubbornly refusing to coach.

49 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Raining Fran Healy GIF by Travis

When I opened up this thread , going to be a lot of doom and gloom again 😛

A lot is over reaction or knee jerk. And the ones who don’t jump off the bridge with teeth and fists clenched yelling at the sky are “not fans” or they are “complacent” or they are “so beaten down they just don’t care enough” or they are “so used to losing that the lack of anger is a biproduct of being so used to it”  or blah blah blah 😂

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

A lot is over reaction or knee jerk. And the ones who don’t jump off the bridge with teeth and fists clenched yelling at the sky are “not fans” or they are “complacent” or they are “so beaten down they just don’t care enough” or they are “so used to losing that the lack of anger is a biproduct of being so used to it”  or blah blah blah 😂

And?

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

To me the game shifted when Dahlin got hurt in the second period and we couldn’t clear the zone and get a change for a long time.  We finally did, Dahlin left the game, and Boston took over and scored on the next shift.   We never really challenged after that IMO.  We hit a few posts but could not score.  

As you also point out in the highlighted segment what mostly changed the trajectory of the game more than anything were those near misses. We also did not capitalize on a few good scrambles around the net with the goalie in a vulnerable position. In my opinion not scoring more than not defending was the critical difference in the outcome. 

41 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But Boston DIDN'T score on that next shift.  The Rat Faced Git punched Lyubushkin in the face battling for position in front of the Sabres net on that next shift & Buusch got called for roughing reacting to it.

The B's then scored on the 3rd shift of the PP.

But the B's didn't dominate the end of the period beyond that goal & they didn't dominate the beginning of the 3rd.

And, again, IMHO, the game changed on the 5th shift of the 3rd when the B's started to consistently get the matchups they wanted.  THAT is where the game changed.  And that is on the coach stubbornly refusing to coach.

The game changed on the shift that Dhalin got hurt.  Up until then we were carrying the play.  Ok, we took a penalty, then they scored. 

Boston was all over us for the final 4:40 of the period and giving up a late goal is always bad.  

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The game changed on the shift that Dhalin got hurt.  Up until then we were carrying the play.  Ok, we took a penalty, then they scored. 

Boston was all over us for the final 4:40 of the period and giving up a late goal is always bad.  

No, they were "all over" the Sabres until they got the goal.  They were not all over them the last 70 seconds of the period, nor the opening shifts of the 3rd.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Except they did dominate. They started skating (they sleep walked through the 1st, trap game for them and you can see with Kinkaid in there they considered us less significant than Vancouver). They controlled the puck and physically dominated. Not really hitting, just strong on the puck, shielding with their bodies and totally dominating the front of the net and along the boards.

There is some truth to your point on match ups though. I don't think it was out coached. Once the Sabres fell behind Granato was more concerned with getting Thompson and his top players out there and Boston gave Bergeron more ice time. They shut open ice play down more and thus our chances became few and were mostly one and done shots from a distance.

With luck (maybe Pilut's post shot goes in, the high stick challenge was a high stick, maybe a bounce) this could have been close or a win, but only because Boston started crap (by their standards).  

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Fun game. Really enjoyed it and thought Buffalo looked good. They need some defense though. 

Dahlin and Tage are so good.

Sabres need to go to the front of the net more. Biggest complaint. 

If we're only allowed to enjoy wins, what's the point? Why even watch? Just check the boxscore.

You’ve taken my “if the only goal is the Cup, why watch?” to a comical extreme here. 

Only in Buffalo would we say “what’s the point?” if fun can only be found in *wins*. They really actually aren’t THAT hard to get. Like, 50/50 haha. 

Anyways, just teasing 

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

That's beside the point. It's the message you send. We're trying to build a winning culture here.

It's like Don is saying, "These kids aren't ready for the emotional jolt of giving up ANOTHER empty net goal and seemingly getting routed after a very close game to that point."

He'd surely pull the goalie if it were a playoff game.

It's unsettling to say the least. Always a day away.

Probably a symptom of winning not being the very top priority 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Raining Fran Healy GIF by Travis

When I opened up this thread , going to be a lot of doom and gloom again 😛

We’ve lost the plot if fans are being told to not be upset after 5 straight losses. The everything is always fine crowd takes it too far. It’s possible to remain optimistic overall but at the same time react to significantly poor results. 

There’s nothing wrong with a little balance 

No need to find yourself on a Team Stormcloud or Team Everything is Always Fine.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Toilet_Mop said:

There's nothing impressive predicting the Sabres are gonna stink when they have stunk for the last 12 years. You're not exactly going out on a limb there 

I just get such a kick out of watching guys develop into third and fourth line players.

We’re just two years away, right?

The Sabres are always just two years away.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You think Adams is or should fire the guy he just gave an extension to because... Trotz is out there? 

Talk about overreacting. 

I think they jumped the gun again on giving DG an extension. We shall see as this season progresses. Let's hope it doesn't regress!

Just now, eman said:

I think they jumped the gun again on giving DG an extension. We shall see as this season progresses. Let's hope it doesn't regress!

Well, DG can be fired at anytime, so it really doesn’t matter if it’s a one year or a ten year extension. It just simply doesn’t make a bit of difference. Just how I see it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Zamboni said:

Well, DG can be fired at anytime, so it really doesn’t matter if it’s a one year or a ten year extension. It just simply doesn’t make a bit of difference. Just how I see it.

Totally agree. As I stated in the post LGR4GM replied to: Barry Trotz is out there!

On 11/13/2022 at 5:30 PM, SwampD said:

Lol. Remind me again how often team sunshine and kittens has been right this past decade?

Idk have a problem with you bitching and moaning, I have a problem when those of us who aren't start getting called out for not falling in line and bitching and moaning with you and others. I can enjoy a game they lost without it being a losing mentality. Sorry you and others on here can't. GO team storm cloud! 

16 hours ago, Thorny said:

Exactly 

It’s not pessimism 

it’s realism 

Realism is understanding that the youngest team in the league that lacks defensive depth is going to struggle at times throughout the year. Pessimism is going after other posters who talk about good things they saw in a losing effort. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Realism is understanding that the youngest team in the league that lacks defensive depth is going to struggle at times throughout the year. Pessimism is going after other posters who talk about good things they saw in a losing effort. 

I’m enjoying watching the kids grow and learn.  I’m not enjoying the team losing every game for a two week stretch. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m enjoying watching the kids grow and learn.  I’m not enjoying the team losing every game for a two week stretch. 

Fully understand that. It has been frustrating the last 2 weeks considering I think they could have gone 4-1 fairly easily or at least 3-2 but failed. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.