GDT: Boston at Buffalo, Nov. 12, 2022, 7pm, MSG, WGR

Eleven

Didn't read the rest of this thread, so don't know if somebody already made this observation.

Thought it would be a mistake playing the Mittelstadt line against the Bergeron line, but that was a brilliant decision.  They gave them almost no scoring opportunities & still got some chances of their own.  Though, obviously they couldn't finish any of them.  But it had Boston so frustrated they moved Pasternack back onto the top line late in the 1st IIRC.  Actually all 4 line matchups were inspired.  Thompson's line vs Hall & Kreji with Cozens line against Coyle and the Asplund line against their big banging line.

You knew Boston wanted to have Bergeron going against Thompson as when they got caught out there on a Dahlin stretch pass that didn't work and went for icing that B's line couldn't hop the boards quickly enough.  Can't recall if they got any shots on net that one, but they had a couple of shot attempts.  And Power's crosscheck in the 1st which led to the SH goal came when Boston got Bergeron vs Tage. 

And, until Dahlin blocked a shot off his boot, the B's had all of 10 shots through ~35 minutes.  Yeah, the B's tied it after Lyubushkin went for roughing and the top 2 PKing D weren't available.  But through 40 the Sabres had for the most part outplayed them.

At that point, Granato got outcoached.  The B's started the 3rd with the Hall line, so Buffalo started Tage's line & they were followed with Bergeron vs Mitts.  So far so good.  But then with the 4th line change, the Bergeron line took the ice next but rather than flip to Mitts, Granato put the Thompson line out.  They couldn't slow that top line & the B's started to control play.  They also managed to get Cozens line rather than the 4th line out against their heavy line.  Another mismatch.

Totally get that Granato doesn't want to play scared, but not sure how getting favorable matchups at home is showing fear.  Getting an advantage is smart, not fearful IMHO.  Really believe the Sabres could've won if he'd've kept forcing the better matchups.

If they play like this on Tuesday, it'll be a loooong night for the Nucks.

A couple other observations.

Only 40% of the fans were B fans.  Expected we might've been outnumbered before the game started.  Not the case - cool.

The reverse retro unis seem strange on TV but are REALLY sharp in person.

No passengers at all today.  Mitts & Krebs had maybe their best games of the year.  Tuch was doing good things.  No idea why the linesman called him off-side on the PK at the end.  He played it perfect & everybody was onside by the time he touched it.  

The Sabres were fast tonight.  Players seemed comfortable in knowing where their linemates & D partner were going to be.  Though never felt comfortable watching Bryson & Fitzgerald on the ice together.  Very glad watching them head to the bench after their shift was done.  They played pretty well overall, but had their moments.

Right before the Cozens line got the myriad of chances early in the 3rd (no idea how Kincaid kept them all out) it really looked like the B's had scored.  Was expecting a call from TO stopping play at any moment.  So obviously it wasn't in, but would really like to see it again.  The B's fans near us were absolutely certain it had gone in.

Had no idea why Granato challenged the puck getting played with a high stick & then they showed the replay and have no idea why the goal wasn't overturned.

Bad end result, but fun game overall.  Just wish they'd've continued getting the matchups in the 3rd.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 5

Fun game. Really enjoyed it and thought Buffalo looked good. They need some defense though. 

Dahlin and Tage are so good.

Sabres need to go to the front of the net more. Biggest complaint. 

3 hours ago, nucci said:

it was a loss

If we're only allowed to enjoy wins, what's the point? Why even watch? Just check the boxscore.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Marvin said:

I am more aggressive than you.  I would have pulled the goalkeeper at my first chance under 3:00.  Like you, I would have pulled the goaltender at 3-1.

To be clear I agree on the early pull.

I'm still mad about throwing in the towel.

Of course this was always the way back in the day. If you went down by two with even five minutes to play, the announcers, the coaches, everyone thought it was over.

That decision and the goalie pulls... Don sure comes off as a dinosaur.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

To be clear I agree on the early pull.

I'm still mad about throwing in the towel.

Of course this was always the way back in the day. If you went down by two with even five minutes to play, the announcers, the coaches, everyone thought it was over.

That decision and the goalie pulls... Don sure comes off as a dinosaur.

It usually is, what is the percentage of winning after pulling the goalie down two goals ?  1 % ?

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It usually is, what is the percentage of winning after pulling the goalie down two goals ?  1 % ?

That's beside the point. It's the message you send. We're trying to build a winning culture here.

It's like Don is saying, "These kids aren't ready for the emotional jolt of giving up ANOTHER empty net goal and seemingly getting routed after a very close game to that point."

He'd surely pull the goalie if it were a playoff game.

It's unsettling to say the least. Always a day away.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Didn't read the rest of this thread, so don't know if somebody already made this observation.

Thought it would be a mistake playing the Mittelstadt line against the Bergeron line, but that was a brilliant decision.  They gave them almost no scoring opportunities & still got some chances of their own.  Though, obviously they couldn't finish any of them.  But it had Boston so frustrated they moved Pasternack back onto the top line late in the 1st IIRC.  Actually all 4 line matchups were inspired.  Thompson's line vs Hall & Kreji with Cozens line against Coyle and the Asplund line against their big banging line.

You knew Boston wanted to have Bergeron going against Thompson as when they got caught out there on a Dahlin stretch pass that didn't work and went for icing that B's line couldn't hop the boards quickly enough.  Can't recall if they got any shots on net that one, but they had a couple of shot attempts.  And Power's crosscheck in the 1st which led to the SH goal came when Boston got Bergeron vs Tage. 

And, until Dahlin blocked a shot off his boot, the B's had all of 10 shots through ~35 minutes.  Yeah, the B's tied it after Lyubushkin went for roughing and the top 2 PKing D weren't available.  But through 40 the Sabres had for the most part outplayed them.

At that point, Granato got outcoached.  The B's started the 3rd with the Hall line, so Buffalo started Tage's line & they were followed with Bergeron vs Mitts.  So far so good.  But then with the 4th line change, the Bergeron line took the ice next but rather than flip to Mitts, Granato put the Thompson line out.  They couldn't slow that top line & the B's started to control play.  They also managed to get Cozens line rather than the 4th line out against their heavy line.  Another mismatch.

Totally get that Granato doesn't want to play scared, but not sure how getting favorable matchups at home is showing fear.  Getting an advantage is smart, not fearful IMHO.  Really believe the Sabres could've won if he'd've kept forcing the better matchups.

If they play like this on Tuesday, it'll be a loooong night for the Nucks.

A couple other observations.

Only 40% of the fans were B fans.  Expected we might've been outnumbered before the game started.  Not the case - cool.

The reverse retro unis seem strange on TV but are REALLY sharp in person.

No passengers at all today.  Mitts & Krebs had maybe their best games of the year.  Tuch was doing good things.  No idea why the linesman called him off-side on the PK at the end.  He played it perfect & everybody was onside by the time he touched it.  

The Sabres were fast tonight.  Players seemed comfortable in knowing where their linemates & D partner were going to be.  Though never felt comfortable watching Bryson & Fitzgerald on the ice together.  Very glad watching them head to the bench after their shift was done.  They played pretty well overall, but had their moments.

Right before the Cozens line got the myriad of chances early in the 3rd (no idea how Kincaid kept them all out) it really looked like the B's had scored.  Was expecting a call from TO stopping play at any moment.  So obviously it wasn't in, but would really like to see it again.  The B's fans near us were absolutely certain it had gone in.

Had no idea why Granato challenged the puck getting played with a high stick & then they showed the replay and have no idea why the goal wasn't overturned.

Bad end result, but fun game overall.  Just wish they'd've continued getting the matchups in the 3rd.

(I watched the game on TV.) Even with a large segment of the fans rooting for the opposition there was an electric atmosphere caused by a capacity crowd that was fully engaged. I thought the Sabres outplayed the Bruins until that part of the third period when the momentum irretrievably shifted. Their best players, who are experienced players, came through. The Sabres had their chances but they just can't seem finish. How many times has Olofsson hit the post this season? In this game there were plenty of scrambles in front of the opposition goalie where he was down and vulnerable but couldn't be capitalized on. 

The difference between the Sabres and many good teams is that there is less margin of error. When the Sabres have injuries, as all teams do, we simply don't have the reserve talent to absorb the lost. I just hope that the mounting losses don't dispirit the team and fanbase. At times it can be tough to take and excruciating to be in the midst of a growing and learning process. However, standing back and trying to put things in perspective the quality of play is better than prior iterations. 

I felt like Boston never believed they were in danger of losing this game.  Although there were good stretches where we tilted the ice, it seemed like when they really needed to, Boston sent the next line onto the ice and removed the danger.

And also when they needed to, Boston grabbed another gear and accomplished what they need to.  

The Sabres never relented, which is a good sign, but it still felt like men against boys when Boston decided it was time to stop farting  around.  Another sign that we are a clear step behind at least Boston level of competition.  We’ll see how the next handful of games go.  It should be at least 1 tier down from Boston.

Loved that little 3rd period battle that Cozens was engaged in.  I assume he took a slash to the wrist.  And really made sure whatever happened was paid back.  He put on a couple of doozy body checks the following shift.

31 minutes ago, Weave said:

I felt like Boston never believed they were in danger of losing this game.  Although there were good stretches where we tilted the ice, it seemed like when they really needed to, Boston sent the next line onto the ice and removed the danger.

And also when they needed to, Boston grabbed another gear and accomplished what they need to.  

The Sabres never relented, which is a good sign, but it still felt like men against boys when Boston decided it was time to stop farting  around.  Another sign that we are a clear step behind at least Boston level of competition.  We’ll see how the next handful of games go.  It should be at least 1 tier down from Boston.

Loved that little 3rd period battle that Cozens was engaged in.  I assume he took a slash to the wrist.  And really made sure whatever happened was paid back.  He put on a couple of doozy body checks the following shift.

Whenever they needed a jolt, they just reunited the best line in hickey for years, Pasta-Bergeron-Marchand. We can barely match them defensively with Okposo and there is no way we can match them offensively.

You can really see how young the Sabres are when playing Boston.

11 hours ago, tom webster said:

It really comes down to perspective. As fans it’s been 12 years of frustration. If you just started watching 3 or 4 years ago most of us would be thrilled with the direction the team is heading and be extremely excited for the future. Personally, I’m were you are at for about 15 minutes after the game ends. After that, I start to get extremely excited for where they seem to be heading.

I woke up this morning, read the sports page, and I’m still pensive about where they are going this season.   They can play better, there is more upside, but they won’t be surprising any teams this year.  Are they a lottery team or will they compete for a playoff spot?   We still don’t know.   

We played a pretty good game last night but still lost to a backup and still failed to score in crunch time.  Seemed like the  Bruins could turn it on whenever they wanted.  

The center spline is weak but at least there is a pipeline of prospects at center.  The defensive depth is not adequate and not much in the pipeline yet.  The goaltending has been below average as usual and who really knows if and when the prospects will be ready. 

The GM seems content to go with what he brought to the party.  Don’t expect to see any significant acquisitions. 

The next 6 games stretch is big for this team.  Can they get back over .500, or will they fade away starting at Thanksgiving?  

We are drawing about 8,000 fans to home games.  My brother said there were about 40% Bruins fans in his section and maybe overall.  Other than the hockey diehards like us, the fans are not buying in right now.  Once the football season in Buffalo ends (February)  will the Sabres be relevant enough to attract more fans?  It’s important that they stay in the race this year. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Its the same ***** every year  Start off hot people get excited talking nonsense .

And we end up here Back at the bottom of the barrel

something has to change and I don't know what

1 hour ago, postseasonblues said:

Still ahead of the Senators and Blue Jackets in the east. 

By 3 points honestly embarrassing how long we have  Been rebuilding and it's the same f****** b******* 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

(I watched the game on TV.) Even with a large segment of the fans rooting for the opposition there was an electric atmosphere caused by a capacity crowd that was fully engaged. I thought the Sabres outplayed the Bruins until that part of the third period when the momentum irretrievably shifted. Their best players, who are experienced players, came through. The Sabres had their chances but they just can't seem finish. How many times has Olofsson hit the post this season? In this game there were plenty of scrambles in front of the opposition goalie where he was down and vulnerable but couldn't be capitalized on. 

The difference between the Sabres and many good teams is that there is less margin of error. When the Sabres have injuries, as all teams do, we simply don't have the reserve talent to absorb the lost. I just hope that the mounting losses don't dispirit the team and fanbase. At times it can be tough to take and excruciating to be in the midst of a growing and learning process. However, standing back and trying to put things in perspective the quality of play is better than prior iterations. 

To me the game shifted when Dahlin got hurt in the second period and we couldn’t clear the zone and get a change for a long time.  We finally did, Dahlin left the game, and Boston took over and scored on the next shift.   We never really challenged after that IMO.  We hit a few posts but could not score.  

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Fun game. Really enjoyed it and thought Buffalo looked good. They need some defense though. 

Dahlin and Tage are so good.

Sabres need to go to the front of the net more. Biggest complaint. 

If we're only allowed to enjoy wins, what's the point? Why even watch? Just check the boxscore.

I'm different. I don't enjoy losing. I watch because I like hockey. I'm confused around here

• Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, nucci said:

I'm different. I don't enjoy losing. I watch because I like hockey. I'm confused around here

Makes more than a few of us… 

Pegula is unmoved… Adams is unmoved… Granato is unmoved… All ok with our incremental progress…

Imagine our best young developmental players are frustrated… Most have been on winning amateur teams… Losing streaks are likely new to them, my bet… 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.