What did we do to deserve this?

PASabreFan

2 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

The president of my company has very little to do with how we go to market.  The owner manages the money side of things and has a large presence in human resources.   We just don't know exactly what they do other than they hire and fire.  

I get that fans like to guess what their knowledge and involvement is but it's impossible to know. 

image.png.943f17f7d8688af9cb6a1aabaf73eb46.png

15 hours ago, MattPie said:

They were both JAGs, one got lucky to be drafted by the Oilers and the other by the Islanders. By that point in the draft, three teams weren't even bothering to pick any more. In the 1st round 18 teams, by the 10th only 15 were picking, and after that fewer and fewer per round until Washington, NYR, and NYI were the only teams picking in rounds 16-25. Let's not pretend either of those two were anything other than a lucky break. Kind of like Olofssssson for the recent Sabres.

I've always wondered what a JAG is. Is it a Judge Advocate General? How about a Joint Action Group?  Or maybe Jobs for Arizona graduates? Jugglers Against Gravity? Seems to me that players who win multiple Stanley Cups aren't "Just another guy." These two added to the winning formula of their team. They didn't make crucial mistakes to cost their teams championships.

9 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

You're guessing, which is fine to have an opinion.  You have no actual knowledge of what Terry Pegula knows or to what extent he's involved in decisions. 

Terry went on The Instigators way back when they let him speak. He called in and mentioned that other owners were criticizing him for his summer 2011 spending spree. Tough titty, he said. "I wanted to do it. It was my decision."

There are none so blind as those who had a Daisy Duke poster.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Terry went on The Instigators way back when they let him speak. He called in and mentioned that other owners were criticizing him for his summer 2011 spending spree. Tough titty, he said. "I wanted to do it. It was my decision."

There are none so blind as those who had a Daisy Duke poster.

Yeah that Instigators episode from 11 years ago is proof,  nevermind.   I didn't realize you had that kind of inside knowledge until now.   

7 hours ago, Quint said:

I've always wondered what a JAG is. Is it a Judge Advocate General? How about a Joint Action Group?  Or maybe Jobs for Arizona graduates? Jugglers Against Gravity? Seems to me that players who win multiple Stanley Cups aren't "Just another guy." These two added to the winning formula of their team. They didn't make crucial mistakes to cost their teams championships.

JAG is a guy that's relatively easy to replace at the same level. So in this case we might just have a difference of the value of these guys to the team. All I'm saying is that there were probably dozens of guys in the league those years that if you swapped them out, the results would be almost exactly the same. I'm not saying any player, but plenty that put in the same spot would have performed as well.

1 hour ago, 7+6=13 said:

Yeah that Instigators episode from 11 years ago is proof,  nevermind.   I didn't realize you had that kind of inside knowledge until now.   

You lost me.

What inside knowledge?

He said it on the radio.

He wanted to take credit for his brilliance. I can see why he might deny it today.

Meddling? What meddling?

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Yes, they are in communication frequently 

Why?

Edited by PASabreFan

Wow, were all the rose colored glasses people (the vocal majority of the board all offseason) so wrong.  They aren't really trying to win now and it shows.  Their whole point of existence is to be young and cheap.  Ownership/management directive of being (artificially) at the cap floor ensures there will be no depth in case of injuries, as we're seeing.

To answer the question of what we did wrong, I think we let Terry off the hook too easily.  He's the worst owner in NHL history (putrid record and unprecedented playoff drought), but many fans put up with all this BS all because Buffalo.  We apparently don't deserve a good hockey team, but sure are glad our ***** team stays.  Our standards are way too low and we get what we allow and accept accordingly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f99cedf10375a5bc3c4653b7a114d99c.jpeg

Thanks for loving my hockey team Terry.  

You bought that? From a guy who wasn't smart enough to not mention he didn't know his beloved Sabres were bankrupt, for sale and in existential crisis in 2002-03?

I don't know what Gibby's up to. I hope he got to retire off of his bonus for the Where's Perreault? idea.

People think I'm a hockey guy. I'm a football guy. There just happened to be a hockey team for sale first.

If he's slowly smothering the Sabres with a pillow so the team can be moved without anyone caring, don't be shocked.

I'm glad people are starting to question what's really going on. I'd say it's flip a coin as to whether there's a real plan to win.

1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

Wow, were all the rose colored glasses people (the vocal majority of the board all offseason) so wrong.  They aren't really trying to win now and it shows.  Their whole point of existence is to be young and cheap.  Ownership/management directive of being (artificially) at the cap floor ensures there will be no depth in case of injuries, as we're seeing.

To answer the question of what we did wrong, I think we let Terry off the hook too easily.  He's the worst owner in NHL history (putrid record and unprecedented playoff drought), but many fans put up with all this BS all because Buffalo.  We apparently don't deserve a good hockey team, but sure are glad our ***** team stays.  Our standards are way too low and we get what we allow and accept accordingly.

The vocal majority of this board (whoever that includes) definitely did not think that the Sabres plan was to win now this season.  It was extremely obvious and most everyone agreed that this is a slow build and the team would be only incrementally better this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Curt said:

The vocal majority of this board (whoever that includes) definitely did not think that the Sabres plan was to win now this season.  It was extremely obvious and most everyone agreed that this is a slow build and the team would be only incrementally better this season.

I really hope that that isn’t just the story that fans (myself, included) were most likely to buy.

I hate that I am here now.

55 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I really hope that that isn’t just the story that fans (myself, included) were most likely to buy.

I hate that I am here now.

Regardless of motivations, this is certainly a slow build.

By the way, I don’t doubt the authenticity of the motivations.

• Agree 1

On 11/16/2022 at 9:34 AM, Curt said:

Nah. 

More than a few people were saying the team we saw to end last season was the real them. People were touting their record to end it endlessly. Saying they had established that as a consistent pace at this point. It’s pretty disingenuous to now be like “oh well the majority knew they wouldn’t come close to playing how they finished to end the year” 

Quite bogus tbh and an incorrect representation of the optimism of the offseason 

“Extremely obvious” we’d only be incrementally better? Your post almost reads as satire honestly because of how inaccurate the characterization was. Plenty predicted playoff bubble/the thought we could fight for a spot all year. 

What’s incremental improvement, 80 point? Most were sitting mid-high 80s or low 90s. 

And even BEYOND that, we are currently pacing for 68 points. 

- - - 

Leading option was: somewhere around 90 PLUS points and playoff bubble

Second option is modest improvement listed at 80-90 so let’s break it down the middle and say 85. So the board leaned towards a combination of 90 plus and mid 80s. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Nah. 

More than a few people were saying the team we saw to end last season was the real them. People were touting their record to end it endlessly. Saying they had established that as a consistent pace at this point. It’s pretty disingenuous to now be like “oh well the majority knew they wouldn’t come close to playing how they finished to end the year” 

Quite bogus tbh and an incorrect representation of the optimism of the offseason 

“Extremely obvious” we’d be incrementally better? Plenty predicted playoff bubble/the thought we could fight for a spot all year. 

To be honest the majority felt team would be improved. Also didn't think this was a playoff team. Team still can accomplish what the majority of us felt when season began. What they can't afford is multiple losing streaks of 5-7 games.

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

To be honest the majority felt team would be improved. Also didn't think this was a playoff team. Team still can accomplish what the majority of us felt when season began. What they can't afford is multiple losing streaks of 5-7 games.

Like I said, if you peruse the vote, it leans harder to playoff bubble and 90 points than anything else 

“Oh we knew it’d be like this, rebuilds take time. Baby steps.”

No bueno on the fan backtrack. People are literally allergic to maintaining expectations. 

Edited by Thorny

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Nah. 

“Extremely obvious” we’d only be incrementally better? Your post almost reads as satire honestly because of how inaccurate the characterization was. Plenty predicted playoff bubble/the thought we could fight for a spot all year. 

What’s incremental improvement, 80 point? Most were sitting mid-high 80s or low 90s. 

- - - 

Second option is modest improvement listed at 80-90 so let’s break it down the middle and say 85. So the board leaned towards a combination of 90 plus and mid 80s. 

Great post.  There was also a lot of scoffing when Vegas put our season point total O/U at 77.5, but Vegas knows what they're doing.  Should have been a sign.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Nah. 

- - - 

Ok, fine.  Looks like I was projecting my opinion that they would be a mid-80’s pt team onto the majority of the group.  I still think that they will be that.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.