What did we do to deserve this?

PASabreFan

On 11/12/2022 at 11:05 AM, Quint said:

The drafting of Taro was a sign of the times. The #1 and 2 overall that year was Greg Joly and Wilf Paiement and there were 25 drafting rounds. Imlach may have been making a joke, but the joke turned out to be on the Sabres for going with the fictional Japanese player, who was drafted #183 in the '74 draft. Dave Lumley (2 Stanley Cups) was drafted # 199 and Stefan Persson (4 Stanley Cups) was drafted #214. 

They were both JAGs, one got lucky to be drafted by the Oilers and the other by the Islanders. By that point in the draft, three teams weren't even bothering to pick any more. In the 1st round 18 teams, by the 10th only 15 were picking, and after that fewer and fewer per round until Washington, NYR, and NYI were the only teams picking in rounds 16-25. Let's not pretend either of those two were anything other than a lucky break. Kind of like Olofssssson for the recent Sabres.

On 11/11/2022 at 11:18 AM, pastajoe said:

Buffalo is like the Moses of the sports world. We are allowed to get a peak at what the promised land looks like but are never allowed to cross into it. 

I think of the Bills and Kyle Williams.  I think Kyle Okposo and Zemgus Girgensons will be similar:  May make the playoffs but never get a true taste of being a contender.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:08 PM, TampaSabresFan said:

We've been through goalie hell since then

We were in goalie hell while Ullmark was here.  He was injured/recovering from double hip surgery while he was here, was just showing what he was capable of before he left.  But we haven't had stable goaltending since Miller.  Part of that was by design (the tank).  But when they started to get serious they didn't have sufficient goaltending in the organization.  They were invested in Ullmark and UPL.  Ullmark left and UPL is still in development.  they grabbed Comrie who was developed outside the organization; a decent move but not a splash.  He still might pull it together but so far doesn't seem consistent enough to be an every day goalie.  He has a notable weakness with his catching glove which has become apparent after just a short stretch of games with the Sabres.

Maybe Devon Levi is goalie heaven but until he gets here we won't know.

On 11/12/2022 at 10:05 AM, Quint said:

the joke turned out to be on the Sabres for going with the fictional Japanese player, who was drafted #183 in the '74 draft. Dave Lumley (2 Stanley Cups) was drafted # 199 and Stefan Persson (4 Stanley Cups) was drafted #214. 

Do you honestly think that the Sabres would have drafted Lumley or Persson with 183 if the Sabres had picked an actual person?  It's not like anyone knew those two players would be destined to be NHLers otherwise they would have been drafted much sooner.  With those two players it was literally a case of getting lucky with a draft pick.  Yes I get the the "you miss every shot you don't take" but the Sabres probably would have picked someone like Jean Bernier who chose to play in the WHA anyway.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/12/2022 at 7:02 PM, Marvin said:

Welcome back!

I would like higher-end reserves on defence.  I think the franchise has a shortage of defenceman who do the boring things well.

I think we'd be okay if our 7-8 D were Joki and Bryson (or Fitzgerald or Clague) and we had a top 6 of Dahlin, Muel, Power, Bush, and two other "top-4 level" defensemen.  Jokie and Bryson are okay but the Sabres would be much better if they represented the level of our depth players on D rather than top-6.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:52 PM, PASabreFan said:

Have we no evidence?

Do you always answer a question with a question?

24 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think we'd be okay if our 7-8 D were Joki and Bryson (or Fitzgerald or Clague) and we had a top 6 of Dahlin, Muel, Power, Bush, and two other "top-4 level" defensemen.  Jokie and Bryson are okay but the Sabres would be much better if they represented the level of our depth players on D rather than top-6.

Do you always answer a question with a question?

Maybe he's secretly ron swanson 

AN OBSERVATION: Usually meddling owners like Dan Snyder and GM Jerry Jones keep themselves in the public spotlight and revel in media attention. Terry Pegula does not seek out that attention. While that doesn't preclude Terry Pegula from meddling behind the scenes I see no recent evidence that he does more than look out for the overall health of his businesses. With that said, he did get involved in the hockey department when he first purchased the Sabres and made what appeared to have been an emotional decision in the Rex Ryan hiring. It's been quite awhile since those occurrences and anyone harping about his interferences or meddling should show some recent proof or hop in their Gran Torino to take them to the local Senior Citizen Center for lunch. 

• Like (+1) 1

I get the sense that Kevyn's communication skills keep the Pegulas at arm's reach.  Although I don't have direct evidence I think he wanted to relieve Krueger of his duties right from the start and move Eichel but the Pegulas didn't want him to.  They came to a compromise that he would do what he could to "win now" with Eichel under Krueger, signed Hall and Staal, and gave it an honest go.  When that failed he prevailed on the Pegulas to move forward with his original plan (although Eichel's neck injury complicated the trade situation).  He's briefed the Pegulas on his plan, gotten their buy-in, and effectively communicates such they they are letting him run with his plan and he communicates the team's progress and major moves to them and gets their concurrence.

I get the sense that Murray and JBot ran more "open loop" in that they heard what the Pegulas wanted but didn't communicate effectively back to them, and I think this is where the "meddling owner" narrative started.  If an employee doesn't effectively communicate to the boss and information is only flowing one way, it looks like the ownership is mandating things (meddling).

Even though Kevyn is executing his plan, his communications skills made it the Pegulas' plan and he gets their support without them meddling, providing he stays within the parameters of "the plan."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, grinreaper said:

AN OBSERVATION: Usually meddling owners like Dan Snyder and GM Jerry Jones keep themselves in the public spotlight and revel in media attention. Terry Pegula does not seek out that attention. While that doesn't preclude Terry Pegula from meddling behind the scenes I see no recent evidence that he does more than look out for the overall health of his businesses. With that said, he did get involved in the hockey department when he first purchased the Sabres and made what appeared to have been an emotional decision in the Rex Ryan hiring. It's been quite awhile since those occurrences and anyone harping about his interferences or meddling should show some recent proof or hop in their Gran Torino to take them to the local Senior Citizen Center for lunch. 

I better write something. You know damned well my doctor took away my license and a previous male aide stole my precious Grande Pierre.

Why are the Sabres in a development phase that's slower than molasses? Is it KA's plan or Terry's? Did the triple E mantra precede KA as GM or did he conjure it up?

The owner is clearly making strategic decisions instead of his hockey people. It's at least the third time he's done so in a major way. (Spend Now, Tank, Go Young and Cheap.)

If that's not meddling for 11-plus years, what is?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I better write something. You know damned well my doctor took away my license and a previous male aide stole my precious Grande Pierre.

Why are the Sabres in a development phase that's slower than molasses? Is it KA's plan or Terry's? Did the triple E mantra precede KA as GM or did he conjure it up?

The owner is clearly making strategic decisions instead of his hockey people. It's at least the third time he's done so in a major way. (Spend Now, Tank, Go Young and Cheap.)

If that's not meddling for 11-plus years, what is?

I'm sorry that Doc Adams took away your license but other than Miss Kitty he was always the wisest person on that show. I'm sure he knew what he was doing and realized that even old goats put themselves in danger when traversing the treacherous ledges on the mountainside. 

"Why are the Sabres in a development phase that's slower than molasses?" You state that the Sabres are in a development phase but then go on and state that there were 3 different stages. If nothing else, Terry Pegula has been open to changing the Sabres approach based on the evidence. You know, he's learning from experience as he ages. Of the three approaches which one do you prefer? Since you haven't espoused any different approach than one of those three I must assume that you either have a preference or just are happy to bitch and complain. Your response above basically claimed ownership of the Gran Torino. 2nd gear is to the right and up top. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

You're guessing, which is fine to have an opinion.  You have no actual knowledge of what Terry Pegula knows or to what extent he's involved in decisions. 

I mean he did make his wife the team president having nothing against her just my issue she has zero experience. 

Let hockey people take care of the team and please take a back seat 

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I mean he did make his wife the team president having nothing against her just my issue she has zero experience. 

Let hockey people take care of the team and please take a back seat 

The president of my company has very little to do with how we go to market.  The owner manages the money side of things and has a large presence in human resources.   We just don't know exactly what they do other than they hire and fire.  

I get that fans like to guess what their knowledge and involvement is but it's impossible to know. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

The president of my company has very little to do with how we go to market.  The owner manages the money side of things and has a large presence in human resources.   We just don't know exactly what they do other than they hire and fire.  

I get that fans like to guess what their knowledge and involvement is but it's impossible to know. 

So you dont think they talk to her about roster movements or trades ? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.