Golden Knights at Sabres 11-10-22 7PM

North Buffalo

2 minutes ago, Believer said:

Granato ducks a post game interview… sends out Tage and Mitts… 

Predictable press questions and predictable player responses… Someone should have asked “What did the Coach have to say about the game??… The team effort??”

Maybe it’s better that Granato ducked instead of offering up his tired platitudes about learning and growth opportunities even while losing. Maybe he’s actually pissed instead of confusing effort with results for a change. It’s great we have players that won’t quit, but it’s players that just aren’t good enough, regardless. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sabres are better on the road. Maybe next year they should hold off on that west coast “bonding” trip until later in the season and actually learn how to be a team at home.

You sure about that?

Home record 4-4.

Road record 3-3.

Their 3 game streak of 45+ shots / game were all at home.

They've had 1 horrible road game - Seattle.

And 1 horrible home game - Arizona.

Seems they're pretty similar both home & away.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You sure about that?

Home record 4-4.

Road record 3-3.

Their 3 game streak of 45+ shots / game were all at home.

They've had 1 horrible road game - Seattle.

And 1 horrible home game - Arizona.

Seems they're pretty similar both home & away.

They were terrible against the Habs, and for 5/6ths of the Chicago game too.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Believer said:

It’s early in a long season… Adams needs to do his job… Put a package together… Get a veteran RH Defender with a TakeNoCrap attitude from a winning program… who can help the team and our young defenseman

Nah.  They're not in "win now" mode just yet.         

Adam's plan is to build from within, draft well and develop his own prospects.    He's done that, but there just isn't enough depth yet at some key positions, namely defense.    We know that, they know that, the entire league knows that and the opposition takes advantage.     That's pro hockey. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

56 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

And to the D if you’re going to stand in front of our goalie and try to block a shot get in front of the frigging thing and stop it. For gawds sake don’t flamingo and deflect the feckin thing past our goalie. End of rant.

Dylan Cozens has had 3 goals go in off him the past 2 games.  Luckily one of them was called back due to an offside challenge.

I understand he's a competitive kid who's trying to get in the way of pucks, and some of that is bad luck....     but that said, sometimes the best play (if you're too far away from the shooter) is to get out of the way so your goalie can get a clear look and you don't accidentally deflect the puck on your own net.      He'll learn from it.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I’m in Vegas and this team has been playing unbelievable right now. Eichel  can just play and doesn’t have to worry about being the teams savior They are a veteran group with tons of leaders. I will tell you who really is underrated is Chandler Stephenson. He’s great in the faceoff dot, fast, is a great passer and a lot of the little things he does you won’t see on the score sheet. 
Now from what I watched this year of Buffalo is that they need alittle more sandpaper on this team. Comrie isn’t the answer in goal.  I’m not sure if Granato is the one to get this team to a different level. I would have never given him that extension so quickly. I like the future of this team but not sure if the fans can endure more seasons of no playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Believer said:

Four games in a row… not a Sabre among the three game stars… No Sabre worthy or a cost of losing??

The three stars is *****. It’s make believe.  It’s nothing  official .  In most cities it’s marketing. Do you not think Tage was a star of the game and one of the best on the ice? 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 1

Pietrangelo saved a half dozen goals by himself being that much better than a JAG

We have Clague , Bryson, and Fitzgerald out there getting run over by their fourth line

We all knew we were in trouble once half our defenseman went down. This is what that looks like.

This one definitely stings tho. If the team is struggling I still disagree with blundering the forward lines that did work. Tuch and Thompson being separated is a crime. 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

I see a lot of people in this thread writing the Sabres off for the year. Do what you want, but I'll keep watching. I get it. Losing to Eichel like that sucked. If you take a step back however, did you really expect the Sabres to win that game? Vegas is one of the best teams in the league and is on a 9 game win streak. Frankly I thought the Sabres didn't look too bad considering. They certainly didn't play the uninspired brand of hockey they've shown over the past 10 years.

This year isn't about winning the cup, it's about the development of the youngest roster in the league. If you'd told me before the season that they'd be 7-7 through the first 14 I'd have probably been happy. People expecting playoffs are bound to be disappointed, but those who temper expectations will most likely enjoy the ups and downs of the season.

Quinn should be playing though.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 2

So, i did not get a chance to watch..... I know i asked you folks to hold the fort and not let Vegas win.... You all failed me!!!!!! 😁 I felt bad checking my phone at a wake, but i still did anyways! But some thoughts....

- We have had hot starts before, but we all know we are not on the same level as VGK, the Canes, and Lightning, it should not surprise you we lost. Expect another loss against Boston

- We have a lot of young kids and they need to gel. We need to give them time. We are not expected to make the playoffs and there was a reason for that. 

- Comrie has some crappy luck and another goal off of a Sabre??? I did hear he made some insane saves, but not having Muel and Joki is really hurting the D. It also sounds like Bush is playing hurt. The replacements are smaller non defensive so results are expected.

- Again i will say, TT Boy is for real!

I think we need to stop getting non physical players and add some grit, and yes even on the defensive side. I honestly believe they are playing hard as a team, but we are just not there yet. Yes i thought the hot start would be different this year, but reality just gave us all a slap in the face to wake us up. Just be patient, new kids, and they are growing. We have more bright spots then dark ones. If you want to worry, worry about the Bills! They are the ones that are really screwed.

Thanksgiving.  We’ll know what we really have around the last week in November.  That will likely be enough sample size post-every team is feeling things out.

There are some disappointing elements of our play that seem to be recurring frequently enough to resemble a pattern.  Odd man rushes being the worst of them. Not responding to our key players getting hammered is another.

Im not going to pull the eject lever until we see what happens when Mule returns and sends a AAAA D man back to Rochester.  But the excessive odd man rushes were happening when Mule was in the lineup as well.  Right now I am perceiving the issue as a fault in DGs system rather than a player growth issue.  

Im becoming disappointed in Granato. Part of player growth is getting them to adapt to what the other teams change on the ice.  I am not getting the impression that DG is changing things system-wise to adapt to the opponent or personnel we have on the ice.  I think that is a big mistake.  We have enough players with 3+yrs as a pro that we should be able to expect them to handle adjustments based on personnel and opponents.  I feel like DGs coaching balance is too far to the side leaning “make mistakes”, and not enough towards “its time to learn how to do what it takes to win”.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

• SDS unpinned this topic

I didn't watch the game last night so I can't fairly comment on it. However, I did see the clips of the game. Without getting into the circular good or bad guy argument about him (my minority position is well known) what is evident to me is that Jack was right in his steadfast stance regarding his surgery preference. From the few glimpses of him from a variety of games it seems as if he has completely regained his physical capabilities. In one broadcast on another game it was pointed out following his surgery and successful results two other players had a similar procedure done. It seems that Jack was right on the treatment issue. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

A fun and then tough game to be in the arena for. The crowd reaction from the breakaway saves on Eichel were laugh out loud enjoyable. No big deal - just fun.

Over the past few games, I can't shake the sense that the Sabres just look like a young team trying to find its way. They're a team capable of flying high when things are going right, but then they skid into a ditch when things aren't clicking. 

Watching the game live, I just got this persistent sense that Las Vegas was a more durable, sturdy, "heavier" team. Grizzled vets and such.

More than anything, I want this team to stop taking on water. The Boston game probably ain't where that's gonna happen. But they gotta get right and string together a few wins, and soon.

• Like (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.