GDT: Sabres at lightning 11-5-2022, 7pm WGR MSG

spndnchz

10 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Dan D sucks.  Win or lose he is brutal.  What was up tonight calling Clague, Hagel?  It was at least twice, and I didn’t even watch the whole game because I was flipping over to the WS. 

I think it’s a subtle attempt to kick the fans while they are down. We could’ve been announcing Bagel’s name for us, instead we get Clague. Brutal. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well it wasn't a blow out. It was much better than I expected. They are however, a better team than we are. Comrie held us in. 

It was encouraging that we still had speed in the third period of a back to back. Young legs and all that I guess. Good sign. 

As usual, however,  Tampa runs over one of our goalies and we do very little about it. Some things never change. 

I'd say Comrie showed quite a lot. I'm definitely thinking now that he might be a better signing than I thought. 

Tuch actually gave Kucherov a pretty big shot after that hit. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Is it safe to say level of excitement right now is inversely proportional to your tenure as a fan?

Have you really not seen this movie before?

Spoiler alert: they don't make it out of the woods.

I get the skepticism, but this team is different.

Separately -- my game notes:

- That was a really good, entertaining wire-to-wire hockey game.

- After the Sabres took the lead in the 3rd period I thought to myself that they came out and played with heart and determination, notwithstanding the back-to-backs on the road against strong opponents and the last-minute scratching of their leader and best player, and whether they would win would come down to mental toughness and execution -- and then Loobie had an awful turnover in the D zone that created the GTG, and Comrie, after saving their bacon all night, let in probably his worst goal as a Sabre on the GWG.  So they still need to learn how to win tight games against good teams.

- That was Skinner's best game of the season.

- If Cozens and JJP each had about 10% more finish, they could both score 25+ this season. 

- TT was better than he was vs Carolina, but they still could've used a bit more from him.

- Bryson had 26 minutes and Power had 28, and both held up reasonably well IMHO.  Fitzie only had 6 minutes and Pilut only 10, so DM must not be happy with them.

- Although Power did play well, there was still a pretty noticeable dropoff on PP1 -- he's not yet as good as Dahlin in that role (understandably -- no shame there).

- DM shook up the lines again in the 3rd period -- Skinner was on with Cozens and JJP I think, while TT was on with Zemgus and KO.

It sure would be nice to beat at least 1 of Boston or Vegas.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, nucci said:

I've never seen a fan base rationalize and accept losing like here.

Who is rationalizing and accepting losing? How about facing the reality that the Sabres, although handicapped with injuries to key players, played well against a Cup contending team that by any measure is better than your team. The Sabres didn't wilt in this ferociously contested game. They were in this game up until the end. 

If you can't recognize that this team is a step up, not only from a talent standpoint but also from a competitive standpoint from previous years, then you are lacking perspective. Not only is this an emerging team that still has a way to go to be a top tier team, but it is also an entertaining team. If last night's game wasn't an entertaining game played at a high level, then I don't know what high quality NHL games are. 

Carolina and Tampa are better teams than Buffalo . What these two road games indicate is that top tier teams have to play close to their max in order to beat us. Any fair-minded person would have to acknowledge that the Sabres are getting better. The organization made a lot of mistakes and put this franchise in a deep hole. This team has mostly gotten itself out of it and is presently moving in the right direction. Maybe you can't see it but I do.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Is it safe to say level of excitement right now is inversely proportional to your tenure as a fan?

Thanks Debbie Downer.  No one thinks this team is going to win the cup this year.  Even making the playoffs is highly unlikely.  
however , some of us are enjoying watching the young team find their way.  They literally are the youngest team in rhe NHL. That’s with a 41 year old Anderson skewin things.  

spoiler alert - they are going to have a lot of ups and downs as they go through the process 

why not just sit back and enjoy watching them get better rather than trying to ruin the experience for everyone else ? 

—- I’ve been a fan since the mid 70s    I’m extremely excited about this group of players and where they might end up in a few years 

Edited by Crusader1969

38 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Welp its happening same old Sabres. 

Who saw this coming 

Yea because losing to a team that’s been in the cup final the last two years and a team that’s a constant contender the last few years in fun, close games until the end means “same old Sabres.” 

5 hours ago, nucci said:

I've never seen a fan base rationalize and accept losing like here.

Missing your top 4 D has nothing to do with it 

2 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Our team is very skilled, very fast, and very young. Our goaltender played incredibly well and we still lost to a backup. I really don’t think there’s much of a silver lining in any of last night. They should’ve won plain and simple.

If this team is ever going to get out of the basement, these are the types of games they should win, inexperienced or not.

THEY PLAYED WITHOUT THEIR TOP 4 D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It's an 82 game season. Not every game is a Super Bowl referendum on who's better. They led early in the third and lost going away. I don't see how you change the culture of losing without peeling some paint in that lockerroom. I can't say it didn't happen. DG's comments suggest it didn't. I know that virtually every poster here would handed out juiceboxes. It roils my stomach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Punch checking in.  Just got back from The Legendary Blues Cruise #37 from San Diego to Baja Mexico and the Sea of Cortez.

I am tired.  We lost.  Dahlin did not play.  We are missing a lot of defensemen.  The teamed played hard.  Ran out of gas late in the 3rd.  Goaltending might not be good enough to consistently win.  Sick of losing to Tampa and Florida.  

Got it, going to bed now.  I am tired. 

@Pimlach sounds like you are having a blast. Enjoy, boys are playing hard, still learning v top tier teams (while staying in games). I am confident we will see continuing growth with time on task, and a healthy D core (a hidden benefit/ glass 1/2 full perspective:  AHL D that are up & 4,5,6 D men are all getting valuable experience which will help us in both leagues going forward). 

Enjoy your travels coach! We will batton down the hatches here. 😉Season 20 Episode 21 GIF by The Simpsons

• Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's an 82 game season. Not every game is a Super Bowl referendum on who's better. They led early in the third and lost going away. I don't see how you change the culture of losing without peeling some paint in that lockerroom. I can't say it didn't happen. DG's comments suggest it didn't. I know that virtually every poster here would handed out juiceboxes. It roils my stomach.

Will Ferrell Chill GIF

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Contempt said:

No, but I'd like to win games against competitive teams in our conference. call me crazy.

Patience my young Padewan.Star Wars Meme GIF

49 minutes ago, inkman said:

Missing your top 4 D has nothing to do with it 

THEY PLAYED WITHOUT THEIR TOP 4 D

@inkman thank youse for being a knowledgeable fan.

Good Mythical Morning Agree GIF by Rhett and Link

57 minutes ago, Digger said:

The Hockey Guy still believes in the Sabres making the playoffs.  I agree with him that the next couple of games will help us know.  Arizona, Vegas, Boston.

I don’t think next 3 games will define this team. Every game counts, yes, however, we are still hurting on D (injuries), and this shows our need to continue building in ECHL / AHL. We need to TRUST THE PROCESS.

Patience is key (for me too! 😉) as Meatballs / Appert & coaching staffs continue to develop the players in the organization. 

1 hour ago, Digger said:

The Hockey Guy still believes in the Sabres making the playoffs.  I agree with him that the next couple of games will help us know.  Arizona, Vegas, Boston.

For those of you who don't want to watch the whole video, this is cued up to his remarks about the Sabres:

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Meatballs are full of *****. I don't know who wins a silver tongue award between him and RaKru.

I enjoy your posts a lot although some are inside jokes that I don't get. 

DG is not the problem right now.  It is lack of experience and too many injuries in one position.   We have very few vets and the ones we have (Skinner, Girgs, Kyle) have never won consistently, if ever in the NHL.   

This team could be in some ways like the Islanders of the late 70's.  Lots of talent and young high-quality players that needed a few years to blend and learn how to win.  Of course, they had two excellent goalies and we have none yet.  

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Coaches talk to the players one way and to the media another.  

I don't think you can go ape$hit after every loss, there are 82 games.  

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Sure…. It makes a ton of sense to lambast your team playing down 3 of your top 5 D and with Bush playing somewhat hobbled. 

Id guess Granato was disappointed in blowing the 3-2 lead but in the present circumstances he isn’t going to crucify them. They were underdogs to begin with.

I hate losing; and it certainly seems to me that the team does too.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Welp its happening same old Sabres. 

Who saw this coming 

It's not the same old Sabres. 

There are still weaknesses, and there isn't enough depth to overcome all these defensive injuries but there are many positive signs.

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

He shoved him a bit but imo it was not enough. 

I'm really waiting for the game where we target Kucherov and hit him first. I've been waiting a long time............................

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I’ve been with them since ‘73 and am super excited. It all depends on one’s outlook. Enjoy whatever it is that you enjoy!

• Like (+1) 1

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT: Before this season many posters here were stating that 80 points and an entertaining style of play is what they expected. A few others were hoping that they would be at least in contention come springtime. Most were worried about the goaltending and it's a long season to make any definitive comments but so far it's been decent enough. While watching the game against Tampa Bay I found myself expecting a comeback and a win. While it was still in the 3rd period and the Sabres were ahead 3-2 I realized that my expectations were not at all consistent with my preseason thoughts. I am going to enjoy this season and have fun with watching the process, their maturation and overall growth. This team has a ton of young talent backed up by a pipeline full of additional talent. I'm thinking that it's going to take a few years for them to possibly win the Cup. Let's just enjoy their journey. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I get the skepticism, but this team is different.

Separately -- my game notes:

- That was a really good, entertaining wire-to-wire hockey game.

- After the Sabres took the lead in the 3rd period I thought to myself that they came out and played with heart and determination, notwithstanding the back-to-backs on the road against strong opponents and the last-minute scratching of their leader and best player, and whether they would win would come down to mental toughness and execution -- and then Loobie had an awful turnover in the D zone that created the GTG, and Comrie, after saving their bacon all night, let in probably his worst goal as a Sabre on the GWG.  So they still need to learn how to win tight games against good teams.

- That was Skinner's best game of the season.

- If Cozens and JJP each had about 10% more finish, they could both score 25+ this season. 

- TT was better than he was vs Carolina, but they still could've used a bit more from him.

- Bryson had 26 minutes and Power had 28, and both held up reasonably well IMHO.  Fitzie only had 6 minutes and Pilut only 10, so DM must not be happy with them.

- Although Power did play well, there was still a pretty noticeable dropoff on PP1 -- he's not yet as good as Dahlin in that role (understandably -- no shame there).

- DM shook up the lines again in the 3rd period -- Skinner was on with Cozens and JJP I think, while TT was on with Zemgus and KO.

It sure would be nice to beat at least 1 of Boston or Vegas.

I realize Boosh is dealing with a lbi but he put up the best possible screen of his own goaltender on the gwg without actually stopping the puck. Felt bad for him on that goal but felt worse for Comrie.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.