GDT: Sabres at lightning 11-5-2022, 7pm WGR MSG

spndnchz

Well it wasn't a blow out. It was much better than I expected. They are however, a better team than we are. Comrie held us in. 

It was encouraging that we still had speed in the third period of a back to back. Young legs and all that I guess. Good sign. 

As usual, however,  Tampa runs over one of our goalies and we do very little about it. Some things never change. 

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Time for Comrie to show us what he has.  If the Sabres can get a couple of goals early, Elliott won't be on his game.

Looking forward to this one as it could go as you say or the boys could actually pull it off.  Or somewhere inbetween.  

I'd say Comrie showed quite a lot. I'm definitely thinking now that he might be a better signing than I thought. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, grinreaper said:

Just so you know, I resisted the urge to tell you to use your noggin. Of course the blonde hair on their heads could have come out of a bottle, but if it's that important to everyone here I'll volunteer to look into it. 

Now just wait a G-D minute...even IF such technology exists (I'm skeptical), how do you explain almost EVERY single Sabres mom using it? That would be...a new cliché? Next thing you're going to tell me is that they all have their hair cut ABOVE the shoulders (and probably even shorter). 

12 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Now just wait a G-D minute...even IF such technology exists (I'm skeptical), how do you explain almost EVERY single Sabres mom using it? That would be...a new cliché? Next thing you're going to tell me is that they all have their hair cut ABOVE the shoulders (and probably even shorter). 

I'll look into it when i do my inspections. 

Punch checking in.  Just got back from The Legendary Blues Cruise #37 from San Diego to Baja Mexico and the Sea of Cortez.

I am tired.  We lost.  Dahlin did not play.  We are missing a lot of defensemen.  The teamed played hard.  Ran out of gas late in the 3rd.  Goaltending might not be good enough to consistently win.  Sick of losing to Tampa and Florida.  

Got it, going to bed now.  I am tired. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Agree with Soundgarden. Levi will need to prove it at the AHL level for a time.  It would be nearly unprecedented to go from college hockey to the NHL immediately. All aboard the Comrie train for at least the end if next year. 

I agree. I'm just praying for a miracle. This team is very young and having a top tier goalie would def give them the push they need. Comrie has been great, but with no defense right now, he isn't getting much help. Sabres still need a top notch goalie. 

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Dan D sucks.  Win or lose he is brutal.  What was up tonight calling Clague, Hagel?  It was at least twice, and I didn’t even watch the whole game because I was flipping over to the WS. 

When this team is consistently good, having Double D as the play by play is going to be tough to deal with. He seems like a very nice man, but he doesn't elevate the experience one iota. Listening on the radio is so freaking confusing

Edited by Stads
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Our team is very skilled, very fast, and very young. Our goaltender played incredibly well and we still lost to a backup. I really don’t think there’s much of a silver lining in any of last night. They should’ve won plain and simple.

If this team is ever going to get out of the basement, these are the types of games they should win, inexperienced or not.

6 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Our team is very skilled, very fast, and very young. Our goaltender played incredibly well and we still lost to a backup. I really don’t think there’s much of a silver lining in any of last night. They should’ve won plain and simple.

If this team is ever going to get out of the basement, these are the types of games they should win, inexperienced or not.

That backup always played well against us though.    And for now we are out of the basement.

Well, tough loss. I thought Conroe did poorly on the first goal. Was a bit to relaxed and not ready for it. Otherwise he was excellent. None of the others were on him. 

Our back checking was not so great. And our passing resulted in too many bad turnovers. Especially the one in the 3rd period. Just set them up. 

And we missed several good chances. Especially Peterka and Skinner.  Chances were relatively even.  

That said, we were without 3 starting, quality defensemen and our best player. So there is that. Some fans like to say “no excuses” but that matters. What if Aho doesn’t play two nights ago? Different outcome. What if Kucherov and/or Stamkos were out? Different outcome. 

Still not a top tier playoff team by any means. But you can see a lot of the talent. We played two of the best teams. Not at their level but if all D are healthy … Add some physicality to the players. Another year of experience. Add one bigger forechecking forward who can shoot. We are going to be competitive. 

Key this year is not losing the mental toughness that comes when we lose a couple of games  

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is it safe to say level of excitement right now is inversely proportional to your tenure as a fan?

Have you really not seen this movie before?

Spoiler alert: they don't make it out of the woods.

Well, I’ve been a fan since 1970. 

I like this young team. Need some growth and another piece or two but this is the most positive I’ve felt in well over a decade. Probably since 2007 (and that team was loaded with a lot more players in their mid-late 20s and early 30s. So this team is at least 3-4 yrs away from that maturity and experience. While needing to add younger players). 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.