GDT: Sabres at lightning 11-5-2022, 7pm WGR MSG

spndnchz

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Pilut & Fitzgerald were -3 last night.  They seem to always be on the ice when even strength goals are being scored against the Sabres.  You can't afford that big of a drop when you lose a few D players.  It's that simple.

Tonight could be more of the same.. one of them needs to leave the lineup and I'd start with Pilut who doesn't appear to add any value.  At least Fitzgerald will hit someone.. except last night.

Oh well.. I'll still be watching and hoping for a better outcome.

I don’t know how many teams cans lose 3 of their top 6 D without significant drop off. Injuries suck.  The Sabres were healthy when they sucked.  Looks like it’s some adversity they need to overcome.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres were dead last in FO% last season at 46%, Toronto lead the league at 55.1.

This is where it gets really interesting, the Team that finished 28th was at 47.3 and they won the Stanley Cup last year. 

This season the Sabres rank 24th at 46.6 in FO%, two of the teams behind them are Colorado and Tonight’s Opponent Tampa Bay.

They certainly do need to improve Faceoffs, particularly on the PP,  but as the Avs prove, puck retrieval after losing one, is just as important, if not more so. 

Tonight should be an interesting test for them.

Do you have a stat for faceoffs won/lost in the offensive zone on the PP and in the defensive zone on the PK? Those are the ones that really matter and make a difference. It's never just about winning face offs, it's about winning key and important face offs. 

Tampa has had our number for years now. They usually try to go after Dahlin. It will be interesting to me to see if that happens and/or how we respond.  Stamkos will have a big night if we don't have better coverage in the D zone tonight. 

I hate to be pessimistic but I think we might get blown out in this one. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Do you have a stat for faceoffs won/lost in the offensive zone on the PP and in the defensive zone on the PK? Those are the ones that really matter and make a difference. It's never just about winning face offs, it's about winning key and important face offs. 

Tampa has had our number for years now. They usually try to go after Dahlin. It will be interesting to me to see if that happens and/or how we respond.  Stamkos will have a big night if we don't have better coverage in the D zone tonight. 

I hate to be pessimistic but I think we might get blown out in this one. 

Time for Comrie to show us what he has.  If the Sabres can get a couple of goals early, Elliott won't be on his game.

Looking forward to this one as it could go as you say or the boys could actually pull it off.  Or somewhere inbetween.  

16 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

Sabres are 3-5 in their last 8 games against Brian Elliott, 2 shutouts, but they scored at least 5 goals in all 3 wins. 

Which is why it's important to get after Elliott early.  If he's on, it'll be a long night.  If he isn't, it'll be fun.

38 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Do you have a stat for faceoffs won/lost in the offensive zone on the PP and in the defensive zone on the PK?

Faceoff data for each game is published on the Game Recap page at Sabres.NHL.com.  It's at the bottom of the right hand column.

image.thumb.png.9f9b18ee36b750995b0590d1ba46846e.png

The Summary shows how the team and each player did in different situations:

image.thumb.png.86837faa4eb70bbb1cfaf12702795f7b.png

image.thumb.png.e502c49e37fd6413b1b40298cf34165f.png

And the Comparison shows how they did head-to-head against each opponent:

image.thumb.png.5b66526d3dcfb4081453a145014218e9.png

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.