Auston Matthews is softer than charmin...what a joke

matter2003

Here is my 'impression' of Matthews and the Leafs. I could be wrong, but this is from a lot of direct and subtle observations on my part, reading a about the leafs, and hours and hours and hours of listening to Toronto sports talk:

-many players in 'todays age' don't veiw themselves as players of a sport who happen to get paid, but rather view themselves as a 'business' that, all aspects of it must be taken care of like a busines and it exist to make money and enhance their lifestyle out of the sport.  That isn't everyone, but there are more people like that now than in the past.   Well, with the Leafs, Matthews is that way for sure.  The top 5 things in his hockey career are:  1.) Austin Matthews.  2.) Austin Matthews.  3.) Austin Matthews.  4.) Austin Matthews  5.) The team he plays for and his current teammates, whether that is the Leafs today or whatever team pays him more in the future.

Just my impression. I get that from Matthews.  I got that from Eichel.  I DON'T get that as much from McDavid, Ovi, Crosby (even though he was a crybaby early in his career) or other current guys like Pastrnak, Draisatl, or McKinnon (even though he can be a jerk in other ways.)

I'm almost hesitant to say this, but I'll do it anyway.  Eichel and Matthews are Americans who grew up from the time they were teenagers to be told they were 'generational'.  I wonder if our 'american culter' (love it or hate it) took over things for them and for the last 10-15 years of their life, from the time they were kids, they were told to value the 'business' of their game more than the game itself.  Again, it can and probably does happen with most stars, but with these 2 it seems more apparent than with others form my casual observation.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Agree that AM is softer than charmin.

I don’t think he needs to drop the gloves but skating away is pretty wimpy. He is 6’3 210 for Pete’s sake, a little bit of face washing would prevent some of the abuse and he would get more respect.

Like @Weavesaid, he has a very punchable face.

I can’t wait until he bails on the Leafs so I don’t have to see him all over the news here.

Matthews didn’t skate away.  He stood perfectly still as there was a flurry of activity going on around him.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Or you could have a star player who takes care of himself and earns respect for that. Just saying.

So he took a bad penalty due to a clean hit he took. Congrats to him.
I would rather have my team play today’s game. You’re stuck in the 70’s. That’s fine. We just disagree. 

If anything changes in that video annoyed me it was Matthews just standing around smirking while his teammates got to into a scrum just off to his side. If you are willing to stir up ####, then at minimum you should aid your teammates by keeping the numbers even and grabbing a body. He has no requirement to fight but standing smugly  isn’t helping Giordano or Bunting in the slightest. It’s akin to a noble sending peasants to fight on his behalf while he scoffs at their squalor. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I would rather have my team play today’s game. You’re stuck in the 70’s. That’s fine. We just disagree. 

No. That's not about the 70s. The penalty doesn't matter. The fact is Lindgren took a run at him and he responded by taking a run back at Lindgren. Knocked him out of the game actually. It's not about the Bruins or the 70s, it's about standing up for yourself and not being pushed around. That still holds in 2022. 

Have you noticed Mitts shove and whack guys back lately? Do you hate that too? Is that 1970s?  I love to see that from him. A player last year I thought might be too soft for the NHL but this year he seems to be ready to play. or maybe it's just the Rob Ray style brush cut who knows? 🙂

The question that any leader on a sports team should ask is What would Josh Allen do?

The players on the Bills, whether on offense or defense love #17 because he doesn't proclaim by words or actions that he is on a pedestal. He makes 4 times what Mathews makes but is truly a leader and his teammates recognize and are willing to run through a wall for him. If you want to travel down the road by yourself go play tennis, not a team game. 

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Yeah I don’t want anyone on the Sabres pulling what he did. That’s some ***** *****. 

On 11/4/2022 at 11:16 AM, inkman said:

I just wouldn’t bring it up as some internet tough guy.  

On 11/4/2022 at 12:48 PM, inkman said:

Drugs are a hell of a thing 

I don’t think I’m alone in saying that nothing you have said in this thread has made any sense. That was just absolutely confusing.

On to other things: I wonder how Steve Dangle is going to lose it this week with the way his Leafs are going.

Edited by FogBat
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.