GDT: Buffalo at Carolina, Nov. 4, 2022, 7pm, WGR, ESPN+, ESPN++, The Playboy Channel, and your favorite illegal streaming option.

Eleven

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Our power play is an issue.

…this is a recording…

They aren't great but other than this game was trending on the right direction. Let's stop pretending they hadn't scored a PP goal in like 6 of their last 8 including a couple games with 2. They were 11th in the NHL coming into tonight. That's above average.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

There was your measuring stick game.

Sabres played tough, but that was a playoff team, and a playoff team game.  Sabres don’t quite measure up yet.

Expect more of these than not from here on out.  Will be interesting to see if the Sabres are ready to evolve their game to counter it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Well, first and foremost I was entertained. Couldn't say that very often last year so I take that as progress. 

We are clearly not near their level though - yet. We can skate with them, maybe our goaltending is as good or close but they do all the little things well and we really don't. idk the final stat, but what did they say about Thompson on face offs? 20 something percent? I know some people think they don't matter, but a stat like this does. Staal was tasked with shutting down Thompson and he did it perfectly. Thompson has to learn in coverage like that he simply HAS to use his body more but that's not him so I guess you hope somebody else can step up and they really didn't. 

They cut off the lanes, clogged the spaces and kept us to less dangerous shots and chances. Our D zone coverage on the other hand was poor. We still chase the puck too much and leave too many guys wide open for cross passes and one timers. We need to learn better defense. 

Still, luck and we might have stolen one in the third. It wasn't a blow out. I'm not overly discouraged. be nice if we threw a few more checks now and again. We kind of let them dictate the flow as we do too often. Let's see how they bounce back or if they do tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 6

Well, I'm off the hook.  I couldn't watch the game--I don't get ESPN+ and my parents won't let me watch the Playboy Channel, even if it's hockey and even though I'm a grownup.  SO I don't know what happened.  But they lost, my streak is broken, and someone else can start a GDT in 15 minutes.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• SDS locked and unpinned this topic
  • SDS unlocked this topic
14 hours ago, SwampD said:

Our power play is an issue.

…this is a recording…

It is.. but the Canes PK is exceptional too.

The real problem was the -3 of Pilut/Fitzgerald.  They give up goals when they are on the ice. It's downright scary when they are on the ice. 

Other than that the game was okay.  The Sabres looked slow compared to Carolina and certainly didn't win puck battles as often as Carolina did. I think they began to press and then started turning the puck over more.  All in all they didn't get blown out and with an improved D core they might have faired better.  We'll also call BS on a few penalties that gave Carolina some PP goals.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.