Is the 13th Man Set?

Taro T

For 10 games we saw a different player sit a pair of games and then rotate back into the lineup.  By the rotation, it's Hinostroza's turn to get back onto a line, but according g to Heather Engel he was still the odd man out.

Does this mean Vinny is officially the 13th man?  If so, presuming they continue to stay healthy up front, does that remain the case and he needs to wait for an injury to dress again or does it just mean his stay in the pressbox will extend to say 4 games rather than 2 and a kid will still sit but only for 1 game rather than 2 u til somebody eventually does miss a game with an injury?

Edited by Taro T

I think Donny is sensitive to the team's vibe.  For instance, did you notice he put Tuch back on the Thompson line in the third period last night, and Okie was back with Gus?  I didn't quite catch how the rest of the lines settled out but he was tinkering.

I think the 13th forward is also a tweak he will use to give the team a boost.  When they need Vinny, Vinny will play.  The hard part right now is- who does he replace?

Also, having such a high quality 13th forward means that minor injuries that a player might try to play through can be rested.  There's little to no drop off with Vinny in the lineup.

• Agree 1

I don't know why, I love what he brings to the team and it's not like has hasn't been productive with 5 assists so far.

Good problem to have tho...and I think it may be more because he is a vet and Granato doesn't want to mess with the young players who have been finding their groove the last few games...much easier for Hino to sit out 3 or 4 games and come back in and pick up where he left off from than to disrupt the young guys who might find it much tougher to do that.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Vinnie was the 13th forward the Day he re-signed.  He, Bjork and Sheahan (and Malone) are here in case the rookies falter and or we have a rash of injuries.  Rousek and Weissbach are also playing themselves into a position to get a callup.  

Well, yes and no.

When everybody is playing to their potential, he is the 13th F.

But, at least according to his coach, 60% of the time this year to date he has been made the 12th (or even up to the 9th) F.  And it wasn't even a week ago that his coach was explaining his philosophy on playing & sitting young players; in order to sit someone, Hinostroza rolls into the top 12.  He could easily have dressed in 9 of the 10 games without anybody batting an eye provided the player sitting wasn't their best young defensive F.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don't quite understand this rotation thing.  You're telling me that setup this rotation from day 1 and Peterka wasn't a part of it but Quinn was?  I'm not sure I buy that.  Is it actually a rotation if someone can graduate from it that quickly?

Pretty sure only Granato fully gets it.  But through the 1st 10 games, any F that sat, sat for 2 games then was back in the lineup.  If Engel is correct & Vinny is again the odd man out tomorrow, the rotation is getting scrapped or at a minimum adjusted.

Maybe it just means Granato doesn't think any of the young players are at a point where watching is better than doing right now.

But, from a growth perspective, Hinostroza is the guy to have sitting.  The Q the fans are interested in is that also the same guy to have sitting from a win games perspective.  Through 8 games it didn't look that way.  Through 10 games, it kind of does.

Vinny is a good player and a contributor.  I have not been following that closely, but was Quinn the guy that was rotating sitting out with Vinny?  Quinn has played much better the last couple of games and his production is picking up.  Granato may want to keep Quinn in there so that his development continues, plus Quinn has more upside than Vinny.  Quinn (and Vinny) aside, as mentioned above, the offense has been hot lately and they've won 3 straight, so Granato may just want to keep things rolling with a winning formula.  Sometimes you don't fix something that isn't broken.

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Vinny is a good player and a contributor.  I have not been following that closely, but was Quinn the guy that was rotating sitting out with Vinny?  Quinn has played much better the last couple of games and his production is picking up.  Granato may want to keep Quinn in there so that his development continues, plus Quinn has more upside than Vinny.  Quinn (and Vinny) aside, as mentioned above, the offense has been hot lately and they've won 3 straight, so Granato may just want to keep things rolling with a winning formula.  Sometimes you don't fix something that isn't broken.

Rotation went:

Hinostroza

Krebs

Quinn

Asplund

Hinostroza

each for 2 games.

Thanks.  I was not aware of that rotation.  I still stand by the notion that if they have won three straight games with big offensive production that it makes sense to stick with what is working.  And Hinostroza is the oldest of this group and has the most NHL experience under his belt, so the younger players' development is more important than his playing time and/or feelings.  Vinny's ceiling has likely been reached, but we don't know the ceiling of these other players, although it is likely higher than Vinny's.  All of this is said with the understanding that I am a Hinostroza fan and am glad he's on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Meatballs wants to get the young players as many games as he can get em. 

He, and the Sabres, want them playing in all situations to gain experience. 

Hiney-Stroka will have to hit his stroke every 6 games or so unless or until an injury occurs. 

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

I think Meatballs wants to get the young players as many games as he can get em. 

He, and the Sabres, want them playing in all situations to gain experience. 

Hiney-Stroka will have to hit his stroke every 6 games or so unless or until an injury occurs. 

If I had to guess and assuming Vinnie gets back in the lineup, Krebs sits next.  He only played 10 minutes against Pitt (a team low).  Quinn and JJP aren't coming out any time soon.  Quinn is making a difference on the PP and JJP is improving with each game.  Also with the D banged up, Asplund should stay in the lineup.  We could be down to a rotation of 2. Vinnie and Krebs.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If I had to guess and assuming Vinnie gets back in the lineup, Krebs sits next.  He only played 10 minutes against Pitt (a team low).  Quinn and JJP aren't coming out any time soon.  Quinn is making a difference on the PP and JJP is improving with each game.  Also with the D banged up, Asplund should stay in the lineup.  We could be down to a rotation of 2. Vinnie and Krebs.

I think Hiney knows his role.

The kids have to play, even Krebs. 

Agree on Asplund. The only part of the rotation I didn't understand is Asplund being in it in the first place.  

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

Wonder if they play Vinny here on the back to back to have a fresh set of speedy legs.

The other side of that is, who comes out for him?

Krebs only had 13 minutes last night (and averages under 12). Maybe Quinn, as he had 16 (but usually averages about 12.5), Peterka had 14 (and typical averages about 13).

You would think the young guys who are in their early 20's are the ones who could go back to back, especially when they have been getting limited ice time.

10 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The other side of that is, who comes out for him?

Krebs only had 13 minutes last night (and averages under 12). Maybe Quinn, as he had 16 (but usually averages about 12.5), Peterka had 14 (and typical averages about 13).

You would think the young guys who are in their early 20's are the ones who could go back to back, especially when they have been getting limited ice time.

Best guess is Hinostroza continues to sit tonight, but really don't know.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Hinostroza needs to be in the lineup.  He's better than Krebs and Girgensons.  5 points in 6 games and he's a healthy scratch, smh 

A minor nitpick with your assessment on Girg up to this point in the season. He was directly responsible for the empty net goal against Pitt that sealed the win this week. He scored tonight.  He’s a heart and soul glue guy. While he averages 20 points a year, he’s got five points in the first twelve games this season and can be trusted to protect a one goal lead late. That’s not a spot Hiney usually is one the ice for.  

But I would agree that I am fine with Hiney drawing in for Quinn or Krebs on a given night.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.