Lyubushkin is back at practice 11/3

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Good news, but not surprising.  Granato said before the past couple of games that Lyubushkin has a tremendous pain threshold and did not willingly come out of the lineup.  Will be interesting to see if he's back in the top 6 at tomorrow's morning skate.  And if so, is it Pilut or Clague that sits.  Pilut got more ice time late, so would guess Clague is the odd man out.  But who knows.

The bigger story IMHO is Hinostroza is still the 13th man.  Which would imply the "they're all equal, nobody sits because they need to sit, but everybody needs to play" era may be coming to an end.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Good news, but not surprising.  Granato said before the past couple of games that Lyubushkin has a tremendous pain threshold and did not willingly come out of the lineup.  Will be interesting to see if he's back in the top 6 at tomorrow's morning skate.  And if so, is it Pilut or Clague that sits.  Pilut got more ice time late, so would guess Clague is the odd man out.  But who knows.

The bigger story IMHO is Hinostroza is still the 13th man.  Which would imply the "they're all equal, nobody sits because they need to sit, but everybody needs to play" era may be coming to an end.

I'm not taking asplund out again.  As for Quinn and JJP, whenever their legs seem to lag - thats when you sit them for a game or two to put hino in the lineup for some extra juice. 

34 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I'm not taking asplund out again.  As for Quinn and JJP, whenever their legs seem to lag - thats when you sit them for a game or two to put hino in the lineup for some extra juice. 

Their legs won't be dragging for a while.

Now, they may still have the occasional game where they're simply overmatched.  But don't know that it'll get them a trip to the pressbox again.

It's funny.  2 games ago, was sure Krebs would be odd man out on the 2 game road trip, but now that's highly unlikely.  The kids seem closer than all but the most optimistic of optimists were expecting back in training camp & earlier.  Sweet.

• Like (+1) 2

• nfreeman changed the title to Lyubushkin is back at practice 11/3
6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Will be interesting to see if he's back in the top 6 at tomorrow's morning skate.  And if so, is it Pilut or Clague that sits.  Pilut got more ice time late, so would guess Clague is the odd man out.  But who knows.

I thought Clague has for the most part played well.  Better than some of our top 6 D in recent years.  I think Kevyn didn't just sign random available Dmen over the summer; they were probably scouted and selected based on analytics as potential NHL Dmen, knowing that the cupboard was a little bare.

5 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

At some point forwards will get dinged up and need a few games off.  Nice to think the replacement is someone of Hinestroza's level.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Let him sit another game, I know we need him but he needs to get back up to speed first.

I'd be OK with this.

If he really thinks he is ready to go, I'm also OK with playing him but the first game no PK time. just give him 3rd pairing minutes for a game or two.  The last couple games the Sabres have had some D-men that have gotten 10 and 12-13 minutes.  Lyubushkin, when he is healthy and plays the whole game, usually gets 16-20 minutes.  Bring him back and commit to giving him 12 or 13 minutes for the first game, see how it goes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I thought Clague has for the most part played well.  Better than some of our top 6 D in recent years.  I think Kevyn didn't just sign random available Dmen over the summer; they were probably scouted and selected based on analytics as potential NHL Dmen, knowing that the cupboard was a little bare.

At some point forwards will get dinged up and need a few games off.  Nice to think the replacement is someone of Hinestroza's level.

To the 1st thought, with the exception of Lyubushkin (& Tischke) the Sabres definitely had a type they were bringing in.  Clague, unlike most of them actually had some NHL experience.  He has looked decent after his 1st game.  So, their 9 can actually be counted on for a game or 2 if they lose 3 D again.  Wouldn't want to count on him for much more than that.  Remember, Butcher actually was adequate for about 4 games before he turned back into Will Butcher last year.

To the 2nd thought, absolutely.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Hayden Bjork and Eakin.  Played like 150 games for the sabres last year.... 2 are in the AHL, and one is in... Switzerland?  Throw in some more games for Jankowski, Murray, Caggiula.  The amount of pure AHL talent that played here last year is a bit stunning.  

Sheahan is in Rochester who i like more than everyone else above.  Not to mention Hinostroza.

People will get banged up but I'm interested to see where people slot in during those absences.  

Edited by Drag0nDan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.