GDT: Canadiens @ Sabres, 7pm 10/27/22, msg wgr

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Will trust Yerdon more than Engel.  (Referring to who is playing where.  They have the same personnel on each unit at least.)  Would prefer Engel's deployment but doubt it is what they're actually doing.

And still would like to see more changes than just bouncing Quinn into Mittelstadt's role & Mitts into Krebs spot.

Hmm. As everyone's stated above, we get so few power plays, why not get the one-timer set up from both sides with TT and VO on the top unit with Dahlin? Then, Quinn can use his right-handed shot as the backup to TT, and Krebs/Mitts can be on the opposite side as the feeder. Having Quinn on the right limits the ability to take a cross-ice one-timer.

Removing Asplund from the lineup...  I don't get it. The team doesn't need a kick in the pants from the Seattle game, just another game to cleanse that free. If they're completely flat again, sure, then make a little change in lineup. Although it wasn't Asplund going slow on a change that took Quinn's 1st goal off the board.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Always been leery of that first game back at home after an extended road trip. Can anyone tell me why that is?

Always suspected it's from getting too relaxed from having to be "on" all the time when traveling.  They're finally back in their comfort zone & routine and just not wired like they are when they're being forced out of their routine.  And they probably subconsciously expect things to be a little easier at home (the crowd is on their side, they have to good dressing room, they typically have the last line change, etc., etc.) so maybe they don't amp up quite as much as they typically would.

Plus, doesn't it always seem like the 1st day back at work after a vacation or a long work trip everything drags?  You need that good night of sleep after getting back to normal to really feel "right."  Doubt that just because they're pro athletes that it works all that much differently for them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Interesting.  I don't think Quinn has earned that spot on PP1, but I'm not sure VO has earned it yet either, and regardless the PP needs a jolt.

Also interesting that Aspie, who I thought was playing fairly well, is getting scratched.  I'd guess it's more of a send-a-message move by DG than a statement on Aspie.

43 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Sorry, I am in full panic mode. Our defense is a mess. Maybe that doesn't matter against Montreal, but I'm in fear the season could go right down the tubes now.

I feel your pain and would note that we've earned the right to panic, having watched this team crash and burn after good starts multiple times in recent years.

• Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Because Skinner is.

(Not saying that's the right call, but that's why.)

i don't see skinner's puck skills as being sufficiently precise for a power play 1 unit. i'd prefer olofsson there.

45 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Asplund getting benched is a shocker.

for sure. i do not understand.

49 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

In early years of the EA NHL franchise one of the color guy comments was about "avoiding a loss on the dreaded first home game after a road trip" which you'd hear on repeat. Maybe?

My weariness of the first home game after long road trips precedes EA by decades. I’m inclined to believe as @Taro T implied; that players need to re-acclimate to their home time zones and surroundings after a long western trip. I’m not confident that happens with only one day to do so. Hoping I’m wrong about that tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  Says pretty much anybody not wearing a letter & not on the 1st line could be a game day decision.

Don’t agree with this at all.  Mittlestadt practically begged for the press box with his lazy line change.  I love Meatballs but this feels odd to me.  Asplund has done little wrong and has ridiculous analytics.  Krebs and Quinn in the lineup are two giant holes.  I hope they produce because this could be a recipe for disaster. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Don Granato on WGR talked about sitting players down because he doesn't want any player to sit for an extended period of time. He stressed that this is not a punishment due to poor play or sending a message to anyone in particular. It's simply rotating players in and out because currently there is a surplus of players. I wouldn't read too much into who is watching the game from the box. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Sorry, I am in full panic mode. Our defense is a mess. Maybe that doesn't matter against Montreal, but I'm in fear the season could go right down the tubes now. 

Was it over when the Germans bomber Pearl Harbor ??

NO !!

It's not over until we say it is ...

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Don Granato on WGR talked about sitting players down because he doesn't want any player to sit for an extended period of time. He stressed that this is not a punishment due to poor play or sending a message to anyone in particular. It's simply rotating players in and out because currently there is a surplus of players. I wouldn't read too much into who is watching the game from the box. 

He said that about younger and less experienced players.  He mentioned that some benefit can be gained from watching from the press box for an overall panoramic view.

None of the top 6 forwards will be sitting.  Nor the top 4 D.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

You are benching a Selke candidate for a kid who has showed nothing 5 on 5 and leaving in two guys, Casey and Vinny, whose lazy play led to one goal against and one goal taken off the board. Tage, Tuch, Dylan and Asplund should not be part of any random rotation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If that’s what he said, it doesn’t make any sense. There isn’t a “surplus” of players as good as Asplund, just because you have a 13th man who’s an NHLer doesn’t mean you need to rotate OUT your best 2 way players 

Hopefully not a conscious message of resetting the expectations, to players and fans. Don’t really understand not fielding the best roster 

- - - 

Having said all that: Canadian team. Easy W. 

Habs 2

Sabres 3

Edited by Thorny

9 minutes ago, tom webster said:

You are benching a Selke candidate for a kid who has showed nothing 5 on 5 and leaving in two guys, Casey and Vinny, whose lazy play led to one goal against and one goal taken off the board. Tage, Tuch, Dylan and Asplund should not be part of any random rotation.

The coach feels that it is important that the youngsters (Krebs, Quinn and JJ) don't sit for consecutive games. Casey certainly blundered on that particular play, but for the most part his effort and contribution has been positive. As for the play of Vinny it has also been more than satisfactory. He gives you a veteran presence on a team laden with youngsters. (It should be noted that Vinny has done some time upstairs.) Even before the season started the HC was upfront on how he was going to handle the excess in forwards: He was going to rotate players. And that's exactly what he is doing. You are simply exaggerating the meaning and impact of a one game sit-down. And it should be known that I am a fan of Asplund. His assignment in the company box for this game will not hurt him or the team. 

22 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Selke candidate?

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The coach feels that it is important that the youngsters (Krebs, Quinn and JJ) don't sit for consecutive games. Casey certainly blundered on that particular play, but for the most part his effort and contribution has been positive. As for the play of Vinny it has also been more than satisfactory. He gives you a veteran presence on a team laden with youngsters. (It should be noted that Vinny has done some time upstairs.) Even before the season started the HC was upfront on how he was going to handle the excess in forwards: He was going to rotate players. And that's exactly what he is doing. You are simply exaggerating the meaning and impact of a one game sit-down. And it should be known that I am a fan of Asplund. His assignment in the company box for this game will not hurt him or the team. 

If we think Asplund is non-negligibly better than his replacement, it’s not logical to think the team won’t be hurt in this one individual game.

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

If that’s what he said, it doesn’t make any sense. There aren’t a “surplus” of players as good as Asplund, just because you have a 13th man who’s an NHLer doesn’t mean you need to rotate OUT your best 2 way players 

Hopefully not a consciously message of resetting the expectations, to players and fans. Don’t really understand not fielding the best roster 

- - - 

Having said all that: Canadian team. Easy W. 

Habs 2

Sabres 3

The coach is exactly doing what he said he is going to do as far as rotating players. The issue for him is not having young players out for an extended period of time. And that's exactly what he is doing. As I stated to @webster guyAsplund is one of my favorite players. This one game sit-down will not hurt him or the team. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

If we think Asplund is non-negligibly better than his replacement, it’s not logical to think the team won’t be hurt in this one individual game.

For the coach and the organization there is a big-picture aspect to this rotation related to player development. He had made a decision before the season started on how he was going to handle the young players. He's determined to not having players such as Quinn, JJ and Krebs sit out a number of consecutive games. And that's exactly what he is doing. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Are we still not trying to win? Are we still building for some glorious future? Lineup decisions in the NHL should have one goal in mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The coach is exactly doing what he said he is going to do as far as rotating players. The issue for him is not having young players out for an extended period of time. And that's exactly what he is doing. As I stated to @webster guyAsplund is one of my favorite players. This one game sit-down will not hurt him or the team. 

Good poster but this thing you occasionally do of simply regurgitating what the coach said, as an argument, is a pointless run around. The point here is that me, and I assume Tom, are disagreeing with the coaches evaluation that Asplund, one of our better players, should be removed. 

You’ve simply re-stated a few times Granato’s intention to cycle guys: we know this already. 

I’d be interested to hear JOHN’s argument for why Asplund should be out of the lineup, SPECIFICALLY, rather than another player. one of many he’s performing better than 

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Are we still not trying to win? Are we still building for some glorious future? Lineup decisions in the NHL should have one goal in mind.

Sitting Asplund down for one game in order to allow another young player ice time is not going to hurt the team's ability to win this game. The coach is expressly doing what he said he was going to do. Relax. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.