The Sabres Power Play is a Problem.

Brawndo

I hate that damn turn and drop pass they do, not only was it terrible when we had better players doing it, it's even slower and more obvious right now. Every time I see Owen Power on the PP he is like an arthritic old man attempting that, by the time the trailer gets the puck to get "speed" the play is already squashed by the opposition. 

We play very tenative on the PP and idk why, we need to coach something up here that's different. Being 10% worse than the last place PP IS a major problem and one that will cost us valuable points in a playoff race. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I hate that damn turn and drop pass they do, not only was it terrible when we had better players doing it, it's even slower and more obvious right now. Every time I see Owen Power on the PP he is like an arthritic old man attempting that, by the time the trailer gets the puck to get "speed" the play is already squashed by the opposition. 

We play very tenative on the PP and idk why, we need to coach something up here that's different. Being 10% worse than the last place PP IS a major problem and one that already has and will continue to cost us valuable points in a playoff race. 

FTFY.  One legit post-setting up in the Habs zone PPG would've won the game as the Sabres would've been able to get a lead & force the Habs to try to press.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

We play very tenative on the PP and idk why, we need to coach something up here that's different. Being 10% worse than the last place PP IS a major problem and one that will cost us valuable points in a playoff race. 

All of this. They need to treat the PP like they do other rushes and skate it up and in as a unit. Hit the opposing blue line with speed and go from there. Also, they need to adjust the way they are rotating (or in most cases not) in the zone. I am so sick and tired of the two wings standing still waiting for Dahlin to decide which to pass to. Rotate into and out of the high slot and create confusion as opposed to static dumbassery. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Title should be the PP is crap. 

Too reliant on Dahlin so too easy to defend. Not enough screening net front presence, lost O zone face offs and poor passing which leads to lost possession. 

We are a speed team so we should have an even faster moving/passing PP. Skinner should not be part of it. Cozens should be on the first unit. 

It is amazing how people want to just act like things should click right away and it doesn't take time to shake off some rust and find their groove...especially with a young team incorporating new players.  

They are up to 14th now at a 23.5% clip, steadily climbing.  

Find something else to worry about, this isn't it.  

They are second in the NHL in scoring at 4.11 G/game, and the PP hasn't really been clicking on all cylinders yet...imagine what they could be like when it does...scary.

I'm confused. Wasn't our PP decent last year at 21.2% for the season?  According to NHL.com that tied us with Boston for 15th overall.  The biggest issue to me looks like a lack of opportunities.  We were at 24th in opportunities at 222 compared to Colorado at 279.  Obviously we weren't doing enough to force opponents into penalty causing mistakes.  In fact last year Colorado spent 50 seconds a game more on the PP than we did.

This season that has changed.  We are currently averaging 6:12 per game on the PP.  Up from 4:40 last year.  This places us currently 8th in NHL.  we are also up to 23.5% from 21.2% (good for 13th) and our 8 PPG are tied for 12th.  

I'd love to the see the PP score more often and agree we are a little predictable.  Still volume counts on the PP and if we continue to draw penalties, I think you'll see the % increase as the kids contribute more.  With TnT, VO and Quinn, we have 3 of the best shooters in the NHL.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

If PP came through against Boston we would of had a better chance of winning 

Quinn looked out of place there. But, I'm ok with him learning and taking his lumps 

They actually let him have the puck, they guarded the other 4,  thompson was watched close for his shot and Dahlin too.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It ain’t the PP, and it ain’t the D injuries.  It’s that TT is the only guy who is scoring.

They need quite a bit more from skinner, Tuch, Mitts, Cozens and KO.  Otherwise the losing will continue.  

This is not wrong.  We are a 2 man offense for the most part.  Need the rest of the team to get a little dirty and make it happen.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

It ain’t the PP, and it ain’t the D injuries.  It’s that TT is the only guy who is scoring.

They need quite a bit more from skinner, Tuch, Mitts, Cozens and KO.  Otherwise the losing will continue.  

Last game the PP let them down. They needed to put one in when Charlie M. took two penalties in a row. That was a big kill for the B's 

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think Comrie's save % is the biggest concern. You won't win many game at .885. 

Hopefully he improves.

21 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I think Comrie's save % is the biggest concern. You won't win many game at .885. 

Hopefully he improves.

11 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

A little difficult to have a good save percentage with the amount of odd man rushes we’ve been giving up 

I get the concern about Comrie, and the numbers are what they are, but I haven't been too concerned about the goals he's given up, with the notable exception of the GWG vs Tampa, which IIRC was a pretty soft one with about 6 min left.

It's not really fair to expect him to beat a real cup contender like the teams the Sabres have been playing if they only give him 1 or 2 goals in support.

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I get the concern about Comrie, and the numbers are what they are, but I haven't been too concerned about the goals he's given up, with the notable exception of the GWG vs Tampa, which IIRC was a pretty soft one with about 6 min left.

It's not really fair to expect him to beat a real cup contender like the teams the Sabres have been playing if they only give him 1 or 2 goals in support.

What do you think of his rebound control? How about his positioning? 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

What do you think of his rebound control? How about his positioning? 

I think both have been fine.  If someone cranks a one-timer on the PP after a good cross-ice pass and Comrie makes the save but gives up a rebound, it's not on him if someone sticks back the rebound for a goal.  That's on the D.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Hopefully he improves.

True.  But if the goals bouncing in off Sabres is even just 1/2'd, is it still a sub-0.900 S%?  (Not incredible, but close enough to average that some puckluck breaking his way could have the S% where they need it to be.)  He had had a crazy amount of bad luck in that regard.  Know there have been at least 6 like that, wouldn't dispute it if somebody were to say there were 12 like that.  And it seems Comrie is usually the victim of those goals.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.