Tage Thompson- Champion of Justice, Doer of Good, Enemy of Evil, Nurturer of Sick Puppies

JoeSchmoe

59 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I just overheard this at the coffee machine, and it's a fun bit of trivia. Maybe I can even get @PASabreFan to play.

Thompson's 6-point game is one of - what is now - ten such games in franchise history. (The record is a 7-point game - done once.)

WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, can you name the other five players (excluding Thompson) who've had a 6-point game as a Sabre?

(Including the 7-point game would not change the number of players to be identified in response to the question.)

I didn't hear it or look it up so I am going to try it:

LaFaontaine

Mogilny

Hawerchuk

Perreault

Turgeon?

Edited by matter2003

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I didn't hear it or look it up so I am going to try it:

LaFaontaine

Mogilny

Hawerchuk

Perreault

Turgeon?

Just looked it up...got 2 out of the 5 right...but since those players both had 3 6 point games(and one of them a 7 point game!) do I get extra credit?  Or no because I picked the low hanging fruit?  😂

20 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Phil Housley? 

nope...

Of the 3 I missed:

-one was a major PP goal scorer back in the 80s and early 90s and also in the HOF

-one was on the Sabres broadcast team at some point

-one was an older brother of a much more famous player that played for the Blackhawks and put up 8 100+ point seasons and was elected to the hockey HOF.

Edited by matter2003

Gare?

32 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

one was an older brother of a much more famous player that played for the Blackhawks and put up 8 100+ point seasons and was elected to the hockey HOF.

And this could be about seventeen different Sabres if you just take out the word "Blackhawks."

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

nope...

Of the 3 I missed:

-one was a major PP goal scorer back in the 80s and early 90s and also in the HOF

-one was on the Sabres broadcast team at some point

-one was an older brother of a much more famous player that played for the Blackhawks and put up 8 100+ point seasons and was elected to the hockey HOF.

Vaive, right? I looked at 1990 roster, has to be him

Jim Lorenze? Doubt this, but broadcast team 

No clue on Blackhawks connection 

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Vaive, right? I looked at 1990 roster, has to be him

Jim Lorenze? Doubt this, but broadcast team 

No clue on Blackhawks connection 

Nope, not Vaive.  Same timeframe tho. He went on to finally win a cup and everyone here was thrilled for him.

Yes!! Jim Lorentz is one of them.

I actually forgot that player was a Sabre also...

Edited by matter2003

The hints were very necessary to get the last 2. The Jim Lorentz one is a real outlier. There's gotta be footage of him out there talking about it.

I would have been hard-pressed to remember that the 5th player to notch 6 points in a game even played for the Sabres (or was a big deal in the NHL - I was a kid at the time and didn't follow NHL stuff super closely).

13 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Insert foot into mouth.

It's OK to not dramatically overreact to the first 5 or 6 games of the year ya know. Not everyone is going to be in midseason form from game 1. 

You can really tell who actually played sports and who didn't on this board 

Foot In Mouth GIF

Oh so you're that guy lol.

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm quite curious enlighten me how it helps.

Because back in my time Hockey was very different than it is today 

Because you know you aren't always going to play your best, game to game or even half to half or period to period. Things are going to happen no matter how good you are.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Because you know you aren't always going to play your best, game to game or even half to half or period to period. Things are going to happen no matter how good you are.

You got all this information because you played the game..

I knew I should have played more Street hockey 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Awesome! (+1) 1