Tage Thompson- Champion of Justice, Doer of Good, Enemy of Evil, Nurturer of Sick Puppies

JoeSchmoe

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not really disagreeing, but at it's heart, this is a "when do you believe" question.

Down the stretch last year he put up 15/8/23 in 23 games against Vegas, Colorado, St. Louis, Boston Toronto, Tampa, Florida, Carolina, the Rangers, Nashville, Washington Pittsburgh, Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota and Dallas.

If he gets just a goal and an assist in the next 5 games, does that mean he's not there yet?

How many times do we have to see something before it's real?

Well, I’d say I believe already that he has tools till Tuesday, and a great attitude, but I still need to see more before I know whether he can bring it when it counts and against the best competition. Last year‘s garbage-time performance, which was definitely impressive, plus 6 really good games this year, doesn’t quite do it for me yet when it comes to the latter.

I think he has the right stuff and I’m glad we gave him that contract. I just want to see more before I’m all in.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I’d say I believe already that he has tools till Tuesday, and a great attitude, but I still need to see more before I know whether he can bring it when it counts and against the best competition. Last year‘s garbage-time performance, which was definitely impressive, plus 6 really good games this year, doesn’t quite do it for me yet when it comes to the latter.

I think he has the right stuff and I’m glad we gave him that contract. I just want to see more before I’m all in.

I think first line minutes and performance over the last 90 games is who he is/will be . He’s been really good. And it appears you may agree.

It seems like you may worry that his performance would falter due to the pressure of playoff importance-level games. Does anything stick out to make you feel that way? 

I’m not really sure what this topic is supposed to be about anymore. If this is a everything about Tage Thompson topic for evermore, then I’m gonna look for a break in the conversation and lock this up to allow more specific topics about Tage to be made.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I think first line minutes and performance over the last 90 games is who he is/will be . He’s been really good. And it appears you may agree.

It seems like you may worry that his performance would falter due to the pressure of playoff importance-level games. Does anything stick out to make you feel that way? 

I think you can’t overlook the fact that over the 113 games since Ralph Krueger was fired Tage has yet to plateau - the arrow has continued to go up.

In his 25 games from when Ralph was canned until the end of the season:

• 7 goals, 12 points

In his 1st 30 games at centre:

• 10 goals, 18 points

In his 2nd 30 games at centre:

• 17 goals, 30 points

In the 28 games since:

• 18 goals, 34 points
Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

12 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

By the time we make the playoffs this season, Tage is going to be averaging 1G/1A per game. The playoffs will be a breeze. He'll earn a Conn Smythe to match ROR's. And all the puppies shall be healed.

It's pretty crazy that Thompson winning the Conn Smythe once only makes this trade even. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Can we stop posting this guy? It’s a parody account

The numbers in the tweet aren’t even *accurate*. I can only assume intentionally, as it’s a parody account

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Oopsm sorry, I'll remember that 

Ya there’s an account called Editor in Leaf that I believe is a serious account but is super super biased towards the leafs and generally makes ludicrous statements, so the editor in Sabre account purposely puts out extravagant and often intentionally misleading tweets to mock Leaf. 

Like it’s a fun account so maybe don’t avoid posting them totally but, people should know the context 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thompson is so good sometimes it is amazing to think this is the same player. Literally is like the Sabres version of Josh Allen with the Bills with a meteoric rise from nothing to star seemingly overnight.

The speed, quickness, accuracy and release on his shot might be one of the best I have ever seen. Dude rifles the puck and it looks like his stick doesn't even hardly move. It's almost like you have to watch the slow mo replay to see him shoot because the puck is off his stick so quickly. 

I don't even know how that is really possible.

Like the shot below(which is in slow motion)

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheChargingBUF/status/1576279966970695681

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Thompson is so good sometimes it is amazing to think this is the same player. Literally is like the Sabres version of Josh Allen with the Bills with a meteoric rise from nothing to star seemingly overnight.

The speed, quickness, accuracy and release on his shot might be one of the best I have ever seen. Dude rifles the puck and it looks like his stick doesn't even hardly move. It's almost like you have to watch the slow mo replay to see him shoot because the puck is off his stick so quickly. 

I don't even know how that is really possible.

Crazier than Allen by several orders of magnitude imo. Allen was a top 10 pick, TT was borderline not an NHLer two years ago at this time. Literally no one predicted this at that point. No one. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Crazier than Allen by several orders of magnitude imo. Allen was a top 10 pick, TT was borderline not an NHLer two years ago at this time. Literally no one predicted this at that point. No one. 

Yeah I guess when you put it that way you are right. With Allen you knew he had the talent to be amazing...even as a rookie he would do jaw dropping stuff a few times a game, he just wasn't consistent in his mechanics and still had a lot to learn.

Thompson looked like he was out there clueless as to what he should be doing.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

Yup. Tage Thompson shouldn't be on pace for 52g and 102 points. It defies all logic... and math. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Remember when we'd be yelling at him during games about trying to stickhandle and toe drag around opposing players?  I guess we were wrong.

Is it public knowledge how and who he trained with last summer and summer before that? I’d be interested to know