Tage Thompson- Champion of Justice, Doer of Good, Enemy of Evil, Nurturer of Sick Puppies

JoeSchmoe

46 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Apparently some people don't realize it or you wouldn't have nonsensical posts like the one I replied to that started all this.

This is not a good argument.  Lots of people that have played organized sports have emotional, premature responses to trends that their teams experience, and lots of folks that never played have patient responses.  Not only that, definitions of patience do not correlate with sports participation and vary with context.

Any Venn diagram of unreasonable reactions and sports participation is going to be messy at best.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Do the Sabres get the Cup he won?

Do you think he'd have won a Cup here if he stayed?  Would we have even made the playoffs?  So yes he won a Cup, but I think we are closer to that goal today then at any time he was here.  

Amazingly this is the last year of ROR's contract he signed with us before the 2016-17 season.  It was structured correctly.  His income this year is 6 mill and that is about his value in the market right now I would guess (cap hit still 7.5).  His peek season was 2018-19 with 77 pts in 82 pages. (He also had 54 in 56 in 2020-21).  

It looks to be that Tage has long-term pt a game potential.  I was worried about a regression, but after last night he is back to a 15.4 shooting % and his overall game actually is taking another step, despite some early season games bad puck luck.  Only truly elite players can do what he did last night.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I just thing its a little  Idiotic that you can't have an opinion because you didn't play "the game " 

Of course you can, and I can have an opinion of it's comically bad from my experience of actually playing it.

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Savard ??

Yes!  Andre Savard in a 14-4 win for the Sabres,

Edited by matter2003

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Do the Sabres get the Cup he won?

This is sort of where Marek is coming down. STL already “won” the trade as they won the cup - it worked out for them, can’t take that away. 

But with the emergence of TT, he’s thinking and I agree with him that the trade can still end up working out, for us, too, in the long term. 

Mentioned that the play he was most impressed by yesterday wasn’t his points but him protecting the puck from Dylan Larkin during a particular sequence. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do you think he'd have won a Cup here if he stayed?  Would we have even made the playoffs?  So yes he won a Cup, but I think we are closer to that goal today then at any time he was here.  

Amazingly this is the last year of ROR's contract he signed with us before the 2016-17 season.  It was structured correctly.  His income this year is 6 mill and that is about his value in the market right now I would guess (cap hit still 7.5).  His peek season was 2018-19 with 77 pts in 82 pages. (He also had 54 in 56 in 2020-21).  

It looks to be that Tage has long-term pt a game potential.  I was worried about a regression, but after last night he is back to a 15.4 shooting % and his overall game actually is taking another step, despite some early season games bad puck luck.  Only truly elite players can do what he did last night.

With Tage’s emergence we are getting to (are at?) the point where we can, and might as well focus on how the trade has benefited us, but in truth it doesn’t eliminate the negative side of the equation. The move was still very damning for the team *at the time*, a time when we WERE trying to win, and nothing changes that. Botterill didn’t make the move with the intention of the team remaining bad and him subsequently losing his job. 

We dealt ROR at the *exact season* where Jack came off his ELC, took on his 10 mil deal, and went through the common-for-great-players 4th year development bump and elevated to point a game, bonafide first line C. At that exact moment, when we’d have finally had a true 1 AND 2C, we dealt a conn smythe level player and lined up Marcus Johansson behind JE instead. 

The trade was bad at the time, nothing will change that, despite KA and his team coming on board and transitioning Tage to C and salvaging Botterill’s trade.

That’s not to say I would necessary take it back: the multitude of butterfly effect moments over the last several years that brought us to this moment where we *appear* to be in the best spot we’ve been in a long time are vast and impossible to predict. 

But the old “I wouldn’t change anything”, while apt, doesn’t mean there weren’t wonky evaluations along the way.

I think now we are where we should be, and that’s the big thing. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

This is sort of where Marek is coming down. STL already “won” the trade as they won the cup - it worked out for them, can’t take that away. 

But with the emergence of TT, he’s thinking and I agree with him that the trade can still end up working out, for us, too, in the long term. 

This is, of course, the correct take. I was mostly clowning around upthread. OTOH, there's no disputing that STL hit an out of the park home run with that trade. That ball is still in flight.

The Sabres and Thompson are a great story all on their own - one that is still being written.

I have no need to go back and revisit the trade.

• Agree 2

Elliot Friedman on the show just said, re: the Tage contract, that because he was a bit older, he was close to free agency, and that part of what went into the Sabres thinking was it was either give up a big deal for him or they’d “lose him.”

Is this accurate? Haven’t heard this

Edited by Thorny

Basically he’s saying Tage would have Matthew Tkachuk’d the Sahres’ ass if we didn’t lock him up when we did. This is interesting.

He’s theorizing they got the idea/worry from Tkachuk, who was one year out from UFA, but honestly I bet you it was as much Reinhart, who did exactly the thing in question 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

I truly believe he wanted to be here long term but Buffalo didn't want him 

He could have been had LT when Adams first came on, Reinhart said as much.

The working theory though is that, by summer 2021, Reinhart made it known he was done 

41 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Elliot Friedman on the show just said, re: the Tage contract, that because he was a bit older, he was close to free agency, and that part of what went into the Sabres thinking was it was either give up a big deal for him or they’d “lose him.”

Is this accurate? Haven’t heard this

Haven’t heard this before, and I don’t think that was a sourced report.  I think that Friedman just has gotten the impression that a lot of NHL management really took notice of the Tkachuk situation and how that played out, and may be more inclined to lock up their younger players who are still a couple years from UFA when they get the chance.  I’ve heard Friedman follow that same line of thinking when discussing other contracts, maybe the Barzal deal if my memory is correct.

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He could have been had LT when Adams first came on, Reinhart said as much.

The working theory though is that, by summer 2021, Reinhart made it known he was done 

I still think we might have a shot at him as UFA, he liked buffalo and can't see Vancouver being good by then.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Haven’t heard this before, and I don’t think that was a sourced report.  I think that Friedman just has gotten the impression that a lot of NHL management really took notice of the Tkachuk situation and how that played out, and may be more inclined to lock up their younger players who are still a couple years from UFA when they get the chance.  I’ve heard Friedman follow that same line of thinking when discussing other contracts, maybe the Barzal deal if my memory is correct.

Makes sense. He specifically mentioned a lot of Ventura guys go that route 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Some people maintain both teams can't "win a trade."  An important aspect of any trade though is the time phasing.  The Sabres weren't ready to win when they dealt ROR.  We thought the were but they weren't.  The Blues were and ROR filled a critical need.  So yes they won the trade; they got exactly what they wanted from it.  But as it turned out, so did the Sabres... they got a foundational player who was not yet mature, and who is maturing just as the team is also maturing as a team.  Perfect for us too.  Win-..........Win.