Tage Thompson- Champion of Justice, Doer of Good, Enemy of Evil, Nurturer of Sick Puppies

JoeSchmoe

He's looked awful so far.

In his younger years when a lot of people were down on him, I still saw some potential there. He'd show glimpses of his talent, but hadn't quite put it all together... Like he had Bambi legs.

Now, other than his one goal, I see nothing. He's only had 2 or 3 times this year (other than PP) where I can recall where he's got his shot off... which is his best weapon.  Last year you'd see 2 or 3 of those a game. Battle wise, he looks weak.

What gives? 

Edited by JoeSchmoe
Thompson got better- Much better.
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

I'm fine with him.  It is early.   he went 3 games without a goal, then had one, and now has gone 2 games. Streaky scorer, it happens.

Last season, he had 2(two) 4 game goal-less streaks, 2 6(six) game goal-less streaks, and a TEN game goal less streak.  After about 15 games if he has a total of less than 4-5 goals I'll be concerned then.  I will slightly disagree with you on one thing...it was every game where he looked good even if he didn't score. He did have periods of a couple games even last yer where he was totally invisible...but most of us let it slide because by then he already had some goals under his belt for the year.

What I DO see form him is he is lost in his own end. Its like he still hasn't figured out where he needs to be or what he shoudl be doing in the D-zone.....BUT...that is the same thing I saw last year.   He has to get better in the D-zone by a LOT but thats the same as last season also.

With his extension though, it is something to keep an eye on.  I'm not worried, but I COULD be in a month or so.

Edited by mjd1001

Given his excellent season last year, and his big payday, expectations are high.  I would agree that he started slow, but has picked up his play in the last few games.  If keeps playing well, the goals will go in/the stats will follow.  That said, I didn't see much of the game in Seattle last night, but from the looks of it, nobody played well.

I'd agree with that. Skinner is just running around all over the place and coughing up pucks at his worst. Maybe Granato tells him to just run free but he doesn't seem to understand team structure at all. Okposo plays like a player well past his prime. Still say the C was a mistake. At this rate he will have no trade deadline value either. 

Thompson imo is playing passive, a little lazy, and just kind of floating around too much. Lacks drive and aggressiveness which is kind of what the problem was 2 years ago. At this point, the one season reward contract is not looking like good value. This might still change. But he does need to step it up. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd agree with that. Skinner is just running around all over the place and coughing up pucks at his worst. Maybe Granato tells him to just run free but he doesn't seem to understand team structure at all. Okposo plays like a player well past his prime. Still say the C was a mistake. At this rate he will have no trade deadline value either. 

Thompson imo is playing passive, a little lazy, and just kind of floating around too much. Lacks drive and aggressiveness which is kind of what the problem was 2 years ago. At this point, the one season reward contract is not looking like good value. This might still change. But he does need to step it up. 

Okposo had a great season last year, I was expecting the captaincy to help keep that momentum going. He's not going to be traded this year, I don't think it's worth even discussing that. Trading him flies in the face of everything Adams has been preaching since he's been here.

Thompson / Skinner haven't looked great, maybe it's time to blow them up for a few games. 

Peterka - Thompson - Tuch

Skinner - Cozens - Hinistroza

Krebs - Mitts   - Olofsson

Girgensons - Asplund - Okposo

28 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Tage Thompson had 25 goals, 41 points at home last year, versus 13 goals and 27 points on the road. Last year he was better at home than away, let’s see a home stand before we judge too harshly. 

That’s not stopping anyone from judging too soon and harshly. 

TNT will be fine. 

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He just needs to keep working and shooting and the goals will come.  

The Power Play problems are related to this topic. 

He's had some neat set-ups but stuff isn't falling.  Skinners shot has been off all year.  They tried the line without tuch and they were getting jammed in their own end.  I'd kinda like to see someone like quinn on that line, or maybe krebs.    

They need to get faster and more creative on the power play and i think he's a part of that.  Get skinner out of there, get some guys with some jam and stop dancing around and get the puck in on net.