2022 College Football

Taro T

Thinking about the Bills brought me back here. When Kirby Smart took over in Athens one of the first things he started doing was recruiting linemen. Offensive and Defensive linemen. Sure Mark Richt did as well but Georgia was always just a bit smaller and less physical than Alabama, or Florida, or maybe even South Carolina in a particular year. 

Now the o-line and d-line isn't sexy and it doesn't win you Heismans or get the media talking much, but it does something else. It allows you to physically impose your will on other teams. For years Alabama was king of the trenches and yes they have talent elsewhere (everywhere) but they won up front and that helped them win consistently. Lets look at Saturday, Tennessee had all the momentum going into that game but you know what they didn't have? A better offensive or defensive line than UGA. Kirby has recruited some of the best linemen in the country and it shows. Idk if Georgia has the horses to win it all this year (you still need high end talent other places) but idk what team in this country has a better line. It reminds me of the Michigan game last year when all the talk was about how Hutchinson was going to be a major problem for Georgia... he wasn't. They either doubled him and let everyone else win their 1v1 reps or just made plays away from him because they had talent all across the front. 

Think about this. Georgia's front 7 lost starters at DE, 2 DT, and a LB in the first round alone last year. They lost 2 more LB during the draft as well. 6 players gone up front and the UGA defense barely registered it (they also saw a CB and S drafted). That's all on the recruiting trail as well as having some great coaching to make those recruits good football players. 

On 11/8/2022 at 8:51 AM, LGR4GM said:

Think about this. Georgia's front 7 lost starters at DE, 2 DT, and a LB in the first round alone last year. They lost 2 more LB during the draft as well. 6 players gone up front and the UGA defense barely registered it (they also saw a CB and S drafted). That's all on the recruiting trail as well as having some great coaching to make those recruits good football players. 

They also lost quality D to the transfer portal.  All told they lost 28 players from last year’s Championship roster and didn’t bring in any transfers.

As Hyatt the WR for TN said post game, GA is the most physical team they played this season.  

Are you ready to move back yet?

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They also lost quality D to the transfer portal.  All told they lost 28 players from last year’s Championship roster and didn’t bring in any transfers.

As Hyatt the WR for TN said post game, GA is the most physical team they played this season.  

Are you ready to move back yet?

No desire to move back. I enjoyed Athens and like visiting but no desire to raise my family there if I am being honest. 

How bout them dawgs though?

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No desire to move back. I enjoyed Athens and like visiting but no desire to raise my family there if I am being honest. 

How bout them dawgs though?

They have been a hard to watch at times this year. Like they are going through the motions someones or get bored after the beating the snot out of less competition.  Then when they need to they flip the switch and become a bulldozer grinding teams into submission.  They are also kind of like the Sabres with talented youth everywhere mixed with some solid veterans. Actually in GA’s case high end vets.  They really haven’t played a complete game since Oregon.  Some of that is on Kirby running out the clock, but with the stakes growing I’m hoping to see the team in Oregon mode for the rest of the year.  I think the TN win was a huge boost for some of the younger guys in the secondary who played great against NFL quality receivers.  

I’m in full out rooting for TCU.  I really don’t want to play TN or Oregon again.

• 2 weeks later...

Another week and more chaos.

Michigan, OSU, USC and TCU needed everything they had to survive potential upsets.  No. 1 slept walked to a boring victory over Kentucky.  Tenn and UNC didn't survive.  UNC lost to a lousy GA Tech team, probably destroying the ACC's hopes of landing in the CFP.  Tenn got destroyed by a SC team that lost 48-7 to Georgia, likely ending their title dreams.

Other pieces of Chaos.  10 Utah lost to 12 Oregon.  14 Ole Miss loses to unranked Arkansas.  Navy tops 20th UCF.  Louisville dumps No. 24 NC State and Oklahoma tops 22 OK state. 

So I guess the CFP will remain Georgia, OSU, Mich, TCU with LSU, USC and Clemson rounding out the top 7.  Alabama at 8?  

Also nice win for my Hoosiers over the jerks from Michigan St.  

• Like (+1) 1

Rivalry week is here

Top games - Michigan vs OSU; ND vs USC

other key games - Purude vs IU - If Purdue wins they may go to the Big 10 championship game.  Ga vs Tech & TCU vs Iowa St - teams trying to stay unbeaten. Clemson vs SC - Clemson needs to win to stay in the CFP contention, but SC just beat Tenn.  Oregon (9-2) vs Oregon St (8-3) - should be a fun game to watch.  Kansas St vs Kansas - K St win gets K St into Big 12 championship vs TCU.  Tulane vs Cinn - winner goes to a big bowl game.  Lastly Bama vs Auburn in a game that once meant something.  

I am sitting in an airport.  Like many people who sit in airports, I am looking for something to do.  That thing, today, would be the Ohio State - Michigan game.  Every time I have looked up at the screen--and I have been in this airport for two hours so far (my parents had an earlier flight)--there is a commercial.  It is worse than the NFL.  And the NFL is unwatchable except for the Bills.  It's that bad.  College football is the worst.

21 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I am sitting in an airport.  Like many people who sit in airports, I am looking for something to do.  That thing, today, would be the Ohio State - Michigan game.  Every time I have looked up at the screen--and I have been in this airport for two hours so far (my parents had an earlier flight)--there is a commercial.  It is worse than the NFL.  And the NFL is unwatchable except for the Bills.  It's that bad.  College football is the worst.

I agree on the commercials.  It’s worse when the teams score fast, like in the Michigan vs OSU game. All those fast scores lead to way to many commericals.

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I have actually changed my sports viewing habits because of commercials. I know people have said they would, but I have gotten to the point where I have.

I dont watch much NFL anymore. Even the Bills, I watch most of the games but not all. Most sports on weekday evenings, I'll watch a show or a movie instead. We do pay the extra money for our streaming services to get the ad-free versions.

Auto racing is the best example for me. For most of my life I was a Nascar fan. Still am a little.  I'd watch most races through the year. But then commercials seemed to get worse and worse. I remember the Daytona 500 this past season, there were SO many commercials in the first hour of the race, I tuned out for a while and Twitter was full of people saying they never remember so many commercials. So other than a couple races, I simply don't watch Nascar anymore. I DO watch Formula one. And its not becasue  of 'drive to survive'. About 10 years ago, I stumbled on a race on TV and I noticed....the races last usually under 2 hours, and ZERO commercials during the broadcast.  I now watch 4-5 times more F1 than I do Nascar.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I have actually changed my sports viewing habits because of commercials. I know people have said they would, but I have gotten to the point where I have.

I dont watch much NFL anymore. Even the Bills, I watch most of the games but not all. Most sports on weekday evenings, I'll watch a show or a movie instead. We do pay the extra money for our streaming services to get the ad-free versions.

Auto racing is the best example for me. For most of my life I was a Nascar fan. Still am a little.  I'd watch most races through the year. But then commercials seemed to get worse and worse. I remember the Daytona 500 this past season, there were SO many commercials in the first hour of the race, I tuned out for a while and Twitter was full of people saying they never remember so many commercials. So other than a couple races, I simply don't watch Nascar anymore. I DO watch Formula one. And its not becasue  of 'drive to survive'. About 10 years ago, I stumbled on a race on TV and I noticed....the races last usually under 2 hours, and ZERO commercials during the broadcast.  I now watch 4-5 times more F1 than I do Nascar.

I just saw Michigan run a play.  Now it's more ads.  

F1 always was better than NASCAR, and GP is better than both.  None of them are sports, though.

NFL is Bills only, for me.  And even then, I spend a lot of time either doing crossword puzzles or talking with friends, depending on whether I'm watching at home or with people.

Edited by Eleven

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I just saw Michigan run a play.  Now it's more ads.  

F1 always was better than NASCAR, and GP is better than both.  None of them are sports, though.

NFL is Bills only, for me.  And even then, I spend a lot of time either doing crossword puzzles or talking with friends, depending on whether I'm watching at home or with people.

Watch pretty much everything on a 1/2 hr - 1 hr delay and then skip through the ads.  For NFL usually don't care about the 4PM football games so since we're usually caught up by then, watch a quarter of one, then watch a quarter of another skipping commercials in both.  This puts us far enough ahead to skip commercials & the annoying parts of FNiA & the commercials of the late game.

For Sabres, start watching the pregame around the realtime puckdrop & it gets us to the end of the game commercial-free.

Watch Amerks pretty much real-time, but switch to something else during commercials as we can see the game on the laptop connected to the TV so we can see when the commercials/intermission are over.

Have recorded all the WC so far, so just pick a game we're interested in & watch it straight through skipping the 1/2 time show.  Have avoided discussions of the games, so they're live to us.

Wifey is the big college sports fan & she likes watching live so there are usually 2 games on at once & we flip games when one is at a commercial.  If they both are in commercial, go to her 3rd game.

GA, Michigan and TCU take care of business.  USC makes a statement.  Clemson, LSU, and OSU lay an egg and Oregon choked.  

CFP top 4 have to be GA, Michigan, TCU and USC.  Is there anyone else with a claim? OSU? Alabama? I don’t think so. Tenn beat Bama, shouldn’t they be ranked ahead of them? 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

GA, Michigan and TCU take care of business.  USC makes a statement.  Clemson, LSU, and OSU lay an egg and Oregon choked.  

CFP top 4 have to be GA, Michigan, TCU and USC.  Is there anyone else with a claim? OSU? Alabama? I don’t think so. Tenn beat Bama, shouldn’t they be ranked ahead of them? 

GA, Michigan, TCU, and USC are the 4. I suppose someone could implode during conference championship week but the top 3 I think are locks. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, LGR4GM said:

GA, Michigan, TCU, and USC are the 4. I suppose someone could implode during conference championship week but the top 3 I think are locks. 

Considering these are the only 4 teams deserving of a shot to win the thing, why exactly does college football need a 12 team playoffs besides money?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

So you went from watching OSU-Mich to F1 & the NFL in the airport?

No, I went from watching commercials to boarding a plane!  They had Ocean's Eleven on the plane.  I felt honored.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The cheesy original or the cheesy remake?  (Had to be the remake, right?)

The remake, which was better than the original.  Sometimes it happens that way (Brosnan's Thomas Crown was better than McQueen's) and sometimes it doesn't (Ghostbusters).

Edited by Eleven

On 11/27/2022 at 10:36 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Considering these are the only 4 teams deserving of a hot to win the thing, why exactly does college football need a 12 team playoffs besides money?

The 12 team playoff is trash. 8 is the magic number and probably always has been. It adds 1 extra game and no one needs to see Kansas State play Georgia. With 12 you have a freaking 4 team bye week in which 5 plays 12 and then you actually get to what I am talking about, what a freaking waste. 

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The 12 team playoff is trash. 8 is the magic number and probably always has been. It adds 1 extra game and no one needs to see Kansas State play Georgia. With 12 you have a freaking 4 team bye week in which 5 plays 12 and then you actually get to what I am talking about, what a freaking waste. 

Unfortunately, the networks want those 4 extra games & the conferences are more than happy to give them to them.

Personally would say 6 is about ideal.  When's the last time 7 had a legit claim on the championship?  But that would never fly when there's 2 or 6 more games to be played.

23 hours ago, Taro T said:

When's the last time 7 had a legit claim on the championship?

I think about March Madness and how lower seeds sometimes advance, and a No. 8 seed has actually won the tournament, Villanova in 1985.  As a No. 8 seed, that means that 28 teams were ahead of them (seeds 1-7 in each of the 4 regions).  It's rare but it can happen.  A #3 or worse wins the NCAA Basketball tourny over 20% of the time.  A #3 seed is an overall ranking of somewhere between 9 and 12.

The point is, if you bring more teams into the CFB playoffs, there will be more upsets.  It happens in basketball, it can happen in football.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.