GDT:Sabres at Calgary Flames 10/20/22 9:30pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

I only watched the first period and saw the goal scoring clips so I can't fairly comment too much about the game. But even just watching the first period there are a couple of things that struck me about this team. One of them is that this young team is resilient after facing some adversity. After Calgary scored the first goal the Sabres didn't wilt against a good team on the road playing in front of a full house. They quickly came back and answered with their own score. This team can play through adversity.

Another thing that struck me is that the passing is accurate and sharp. They quickly moved the puck out of the zone with some impressive medium to long stick to stick passes. Considering that some of the lines haven't play together for too long that is quite impressive. 

If both Cozens and Mitts play well that is a good sign for the team and an indication that the talent is spread out throughout the lineup. There is so much more balance in this lineup compared to the Jack and Reinhart era. 

A big overhanging issue for me entering the season is what was the meaning of last year's successful season ending? Could it be carried over or was it simply a team playing loosely because the games had no playoff implications and there was no pressure? It's still early in this season but I starting to believe that there is a carryover, and it should have positive implications for this season. 

Hinostroza is becoming one of my favorite players. I wouldn't categorize him as a primary player but he is a player who provides energy to this team. 

Coaching matters. The HC knows his players and how to fit them together. He adroitly tinkers with the lines.  DG moving Tuch back into the first line has made a difference. 

Acknowledging the small sample size, Comrie looks good and is likely to be a primary goalie. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Just hope no one gets crazy and wants to start trading away the future for the hopes of a better playoff run. If we make the playoffs just dance with the players that got us there. Maybe add some D depth but not at expense of future prospects 

I don't want them to do this either, but it's 100% certain that there will be at least 1000 posts advocating for it.

Separately -- my game notes:

- What a great win!  Unquestionably their best game of the season.

- Comrie might be the real deal.  That was another excellent, calm performance with numerous good saves at key times.

- Best games of the year for a number of guys, including Mitts, TT, Power, Bryson and Vinnie.

- Bryson was criticized in here a fair amount during the game, but I thought he played well overall, and in difficult circumstances -- over 22 min of ice time, on the road against a very good team, and with the pairings jumbled due to Joki's injury.  He eluded the forecheck with quick skating moves quite a few times, although on a few occasions after doing so he made lousy passes -- so that is something to work on.  Still, I thought he acquitted himself very well for the #6 guy.

- For that matter I thought Fitzie played pretty well in a challenging situation too.

- As others have noted, the reshuffled top 2 lines look much better.  Skinner and VO still need to start scoring, but those 2 lines produced much more O-zone time and scoring chances than their predecessors did in the 1st couple of games.

- Another strong game from the Cozens-JJP pair. 

- Ice time was very evenly distributed among the forwards, with everyone between 13:21 (Zemgus) and 18:46 (TT).

- Zadorov's hit on Skinner was a dirty play and was suspension-worthy IMHO.

- TT has been much more effective the last couple of games, but as others have noted, his shooting percentage does seem to have regressed.  He's missed a number of shots (like that rocket that hit the crossbar) that would've been goals last season. 

- If they can keep playing like that, and get Skinner, TT, VO and Quinn lighting the lamp, they will be a major problem.

- I'm guessing Comrie goes vs Vancouver on Saturday and Anderson vs Seattle on Tuesday, so Comrie can rest before the long trip home on Wednesday and then play at home on Thursday.

Go Sabres.

• Like (+1) 6

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is the type of win the helps a young team gain long-term confidence.  

Right?  Connor mcdavid and oilers on the road and then the undefeated, legit presidents trophy threat flames on the road two nights later?  They can beat anyone. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 10/20/2022 at 9:47 AM, LabattBlue said:

Since the Sabres made me look bad with my prediction on Tuesday, I will go with the same prediction for tonight…

Don’t have a good feeling about tonight…

CGY 6
BUF 2

I am two for two.  Same prediction for tomorrow’s game coming up.  😂

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I thought you checked out a while ago?  Faker! 😄

The plan was to go to bed at the end of the 2nd period and then that 2 second ref play happened. I was tossing and turning about it and realized, who am I kidding, I won't be able to fall asleep unless I see how this turns out. Thank goodness they ended up winning.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

- Comrie might be the real deal.  That was another excellent, calm performance with numerous good saves at key times.

- Bryson was criticized in here a fair amount during the game, but I thought he played well overall, and in difficult circumstances 

Good post. I especially agree with the term bolded above. I think that Dahlin used it in his post-game interview -- or maybe he said that the d-corps can be calm because of how Comrie plays (he'll get the first shot and then they just need to focus on dealing with any rebound).

I also liked Bryson's game a lot as well - what I saw of it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I don't want them to do this either, but it's 100% certain that there will be at least 1000 posts advocating for it.

Separately -- my game notes:

- What a great win!  Unquestionably their best game of the season.

- Best games of the year for a number of guys, including Mitts, TT, Power, Bryson and Vinnie.

- Bryson was criticized in here a fair amount during the game, but I thought he played well overall, and in difficult circumstances -- over 22 min of ice time, on the road against a very good team, and with the pairings jumbled due to Joki's injury.  He eluded the forecheck with quick skating moves quite a few times, although on a few occasions after doing so he made lousy passes -- so that is something to work on.  Still, I thought he acquitted himself very well for the #6 guy.

- For that matter I thought Fitzie played pretty well in a challenging situation too.

- As others have noted, the reshuffled top 2 lines look much better.  Skinner and VO still need to start scoring, but those 2 lines produced much more O-zone time and scoring chances than their predecessors did in the 1st couple of games.

- Another strong game from the Cozens-JJP pair. 

- Ice time was very evenly distributed among the forwards, with everyone between 13:21 (Zemgus) and 18:46 (TT).

- Zadorov's hit on Skinner was a dirty play and was suspension-worthy IMHO.

- TT has been much more effective the last couple of games, but as others have noted, his shooting percentage does seem to have regressed.  He's missed a number of shots (like that rocket that hit the crossbar) that would've been goals last season. 

- If they can keep playing like that, and get Skinner, TT, VO and Quinn lighting the lamp, they will be a major problem.

- I'm guessing Comrie goes vs Vancouver on Saturday and Anderson vs Seattle on Tuesday, so Comrie can rest before the long trip home on Wednesday and then play at home on Thursday.

Go Sabres.

I’m usually the let the kids develop guy but I would have no issue if they traded away a current Dman not named Dahlin, Mule, Power or Lyubushkin.   Draft picks (including next years, lottery protected, first and one of their top forward prospects for another Stud Dman.   
Hopefully GMKA is in the discussions with Arizona for Chrychrun.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’m usually the let the kids develop guy but I would have no issue if they traded away a current Dman not named Dahlin, Mule, Power or Lyubushkin.   Draft picks (including next years, lottery protected, first and one of their top forward prospects for another Stud Dman.   
Hopefully GMKA is in the discussions with Arizona for Chrychrun.  

Hopefully he is not in the discussion for Chychrun, like at all. 

First that trade is: Cozens (or similar), 2023 lottery protected 1st, Kulich/Östlund/Similar, and a 2024 2nd 

Second that trade is: ANOTHER lefty defender. Muel, Dahls, Power, and then Chy all are lefties. Go find a righty who isn't going to demand tons of money that fits with Owen Power instead of spending a bunch of assets for someone who will need more puck touches and costs plenty of cash. 

8 hours ago, Curt said:

I’m shocked that Hasek never did this.

Initially, yeah, would've expected that to have happened a handful of times.

But thinking about it more, the Sabres gave up 30+ shots in his heyday regularly, but it was fairly infrequent that they gave up 40.  More often, they'd give up 36 but only have about 24 shots of their own so it seemed like 40.

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

Right?  Connor mcdavid and oilers on the road and then the undefeated, legit presidents trophy threat flames on the road two nights later?  They can beat anyone. 

Said it last night, when the Sabres keep moving their feet and with their speed, they can compete with any team in the league. Some nights, the legs simply won’t be there as happens to all teams, but most teams, even the better ones, don’t have the kind of team speed up and down the lineup like the Sabres do. 

Can’t wait until this young team actually figures things out so that their mental games match their physical games. 

Edited by K-9

54 minutes ago, Weave said:

Wake and bake?

Well I was up until 12:30 watching the Sabres.  (aka smoking) 

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

I've noticed people here complimenting the passing.   I agree, it has been noticeable.   Fast and confident.   Imo it has been many years since the passing has looked this good.   

Strange what adding talent does for these types of things 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.