GDT Sabres Season Opener: Sens @ Sabres 10/13/2022, 7pm, MSG, ESPN+, RDS, WGR

PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Out of the games I've seen so far this year, I actually the the Sabres broadcast ads were the best.  In Edmonton they were flickering and lagging which was extremely distracting.  In general when they change they just change instantly.  The Sabres ads actually transition with animation which seems less attention grabbing actually (at least to me).

My prediction is that as the season goes on, most teams will get their virtual ads worked out better but that also we, as fans, will learn to ignore them kind of like the little virtual ads on the games people play on their phones.

Took me half the first period to be able to actually watch the game. It was bad 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Zamboni said:

That was a fun season opener to go to.

There were 15,000.+ tickets sold. But there definitely wasn’t that many in the seats. I would guess 11,000 to 12,500 were actually there

Nowhere near that few in the building.  The place holds close to 19,000 (the exact # seems to change every couple of years depending on whether/how many seats they need to block off to be ADA compliant; thanks Larry) & there was absolutely no way the building was 1/3 empty.  Expect there were at least 14,000 in the building, likely 14,500.

For the people who went, what were your thoughts regarding the tribute prior to the game?

I know people who had a negative reaction to the timing.

1 minute ago, spndnchz said:

Early 20’s if I were to guess

Oh. Well, party-on then. 

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I felt like it was a game of momentum shifts.  The Sens pushed the play early which is what you saw.  There were times when the Sabres controlled play.  Both teams actively worked to steal the momentum from each other.  In the early 2nd period the Sabres carried the play, resulting in JJ's and Dahlin's goals.  The Sens pushed back but in the end Anderson was the difference maker.  When they got to the mid third period Ottawa tried to open things up but left themselves vulnerable to counterattack which the Sabres tried to exploit but they didn't score until the Sens finally pulled their goalie.

It was a game that gave Granato a lot of video to go over with the guys and they will undoubtedly learn from it.  The effort was there.

Interesting you mention that.  Granato said post-game specifically that they hadn't shown the guys any post-game video in the preseason because there was no point to it when it wasn't against NHLers.  But that they would be reviewing a lot of stuff from this game with everybody.

Also, at least to me Interestingly, each player post-game gets a video customized to his own game to review.  There is a staffer that keeps track of when everybody hits the ice comes off it & the events & that log gets correlated to the game film so they can pretty much give those to the players almost as the game is ending.  They've had that in place since at least the mid-00's.  Would be interesting to know how much additional details they get now that the league does some degree of bio-monitoring.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

For the people who went, what were your thoughts regarding the tribute prior to the game?

I didn't go, but did see the entire program on the feed I had.

I found it a bit cringe-inducing. What was the reaction re the timing to which you refer?

I will add: I went to the Bills home opener and there was a tribute and program devoted to the same incident and issues. Bruce Smith was the focal point and dude was PREACHING. I did not find that program awkward or weird. I have some ideas on why that might be, not the least of which is that Bruce was given the mic, there were dozens of black people on the field getting ready to play the game, and there was a goodly number of black fans in the stands (including the Chefs!). My mother's a bleeding heart liberal who tends to cluck her tongue at things like pro football, but I have told her time and again: There's no more racially integrated experience in WNY than being a Bills fan. It has a long way to go, of course, but it's something over which white and black (and brown ...) people come together in an organic way.

The NHL and the Sabres? That's a different vibe. I couldn't miss the fact that the local TV production crew regularly put a camera on the black fan sitting at the glass (in a red jersey of some kind (a swizzle stick retro?)).

I applaud the efforts. I'm just being honest about my visceral reaction.

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

I liked it. What did ppl expect? A tribute mid summer?

RJ showing up was very cool.

I don’t but I heard after the first period the draft beer was warm.

They ran out of hot dogs (there’s cheap and there’s Sahlens) Cheap ones were gone by end of the second so they dropped the Sahlens price. FYI if you are a STH Sahlens price drops from like $7 down to $3.50, and they were really good. Lots of kids there mostly the issue. They did drop the regular price to 4 bucks when they ran out.

You really don’t need some STH id, just tell them you are and don’t understand the new phone stuff yet.

Canned beer is 15 bucks now. 

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Interesting you mention that.  Granato said post-game specifically that they hadn't shown the guys any post-game video in the preseason because there was no point to it when it wasn't against NHLers.  But that they would be reviewing a lot of stuff from this game with everybody.

I really like that.  Had to listen to the Ottawa feed and couldn't get over all the ballwashing how great the power play look and this guy and that in the preseason.  

I'm like, man, it's preseason.  That don't mean *****. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I didn't go, but did see the entire program on the feed I had.

I found it a bit cringe-inducing. What was the reaction re the timing to which you refer?

I will add: I went to the Bills home opener and there was a tribute and program devoted to the same incident and issues. Bruce Smith was the focal point and dude was PREACHING. I did not find that program awkward or weird. I have some ideas on why that might be, not the least of which is that Bruce was given the mic, there were dozens of black people on the field getting ready to play the game, and there was a goodly number of black fans in the stands (including the Chefs!). My mother's a bleeding heart liberal who tends to cluck her tongue at things like pro football, but I have told her time and again: There's no more racially integrated experience in WNY than being a Bills fan. It has a long way to go, of course, but it's something over which white and black (and brown ...) people come together in an organic way.

The NHL and the Sabres? That's a different vibe. I couldn't miss the fact that the local TV production crew regularly put a camera on the black fan sitting at the glass (in a red jersey of some kind (a swizzle stick retro?)).

I applaud the efforts. I'm just being honest about my visceral reaction.

Excellent point about the disparities in roster and crowd composition. 

The main objection, and I apologize if this was relayed to me incorrectly, was that the players jumped on the ice, immediately skated to the blue line, and everyone was then in solitude until puck drop. So, the question put to me was "were we supposed to be a rabidly cheering crowd or a super sad, respectful one?" He thought the timing of the ceremony really put the fan in an awkward place.

16 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I liked it. What did ppl expect? A tribute mid summer?

I'm guessing the preference was to have something earlier in the pre-game, to allow the crowd to get back into the festivities. 

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

The main objection, and I apologize if this was relayed to my incorrectly, was that the players jumped on the ice, immediately skated to the blue line, and everyone was then in solitude until puck drop. So, the question put to me was "were we supposed to be a rabidly cheering crowd or a super sad, respectful one?" He thought the timing of the ceremony really put the fan in an awkward place.

I'm guessing the preference was to have something earlier in the pre-game, to allow the crowd to get back into the festivities. 

I suppose having the Sens get on for the tribute and then kicking them off for player introductions may have had been in the decision. I don’t think the somber tribute really quieted the crowd impo

12 minutes ago, SDS said:

The main objection, and I apologize if this was relayed to me incorrectly, was that the players jumped on the ice, immediately skated to the blue line, and everyone was then in solitude until puck drop. So, the question put to me was "were we supposed to be a rabidly cheering crowd or a super sad, respectful one?" He thought the timing of the ceremony really put the fan in an awkward place.

that's interesting. i didn't pick up on that from the broadcast. i will add: doing a tribute like that in an open air stadium of ~70K is quite different as well. the arena makes it feel a bit more ... intimate (?).

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How does that guy watch every game?

i love the passion. but, my lord.

2 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I suppose having the Sens get on for the tribute and then kicking them off for player introductions may have had been in the decision. I don’t think the somber tribute really quieted the crowd impo

So, maybe his personal energy level was suppressed and he projected that onto others. 🤷‍♂️

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.