Devon Levi Watch 2022-2023

ddaryl

6 hours ago, Curt said:

How many times have Sabres lost an NCAA player they developed to free agency?  Only once.

Well, twice really. Tim Murray traded a 3rd for Jimmy Vesey's rights and he didn't sign either.  And we are are looking at two players in Johnson and Portillo on the verge. So I get why it feels like "all the time."

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well, twice really. Tim Murray traded a 3rd for Jimmy Vesey's rights and he didn't sign either.  And we are are looking at two players in Johnson and Portillo on the verge. So I get why it feels like "all the time."

Sabres didn't develop Vesey.  The Preds did that.

And Vesey had told the Preds he was going to go the UFA route, which is why the took Buffalo's 3rd as a consolation prize.  That was a complete waste of a 3rd.

It's still only Petersen that bailed on them.  But we hear every year how this year's potential bolter is going to bolt though to date, only those claiming Petersen would do so have been right, and that's why it feels like "all the time."

But, yeah, either or both of the 2 you mentioned might walk.

And if either or both do walk, #### 'im.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Murray took a gamble that Vesey would sign and paid a pick for a couple month exclusive negotiating period.  Vesey was not drafted or developed by the Sabres.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Sabres didn't develop Vesey.  The Preds did that.

And Vesey had told the Preds he was going to go the UFA route, which is why the took Buffalo's 3rd as a consolation prize.  That was a complete waste of a 3rd.

It's still only Petersen that bailed on them.  But we hear every year how this year's potential bolter is going to bolt though to date, only those claiming Petersen would do so have been right, and that's why it feels like "all the time."

But, yeah, either or both of the 2 you mentioned might walk.

And if either or both do walk, #### 'im.

Barrett Heisten.  I'm probably the only one who thinks of him first.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Barrett Heisten.  I'm probably the only one who thinks of him first.

Forgot all about him.  Of course that was under different rules and from the same draft that brought us the Mike Zigomanis fax machine fiasco.

The list of college prospects that waited out all 4 years of the Sabres holding their rights still only has Petersen on it.

Just now, Taro T said:

Forgot all about him.  Of course that was under different rules and from the same draft that brought us the Mike Zigomanis fax machine fiasco.

The list of college prospects that waited out all 4 years of the Sabres holding their rights still only has Petersen on it.

And what a horrible rule it was.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Portillo and Levi could be quite the 1A and 1B for the Sabres. UPL may be in the mix too.

I look forward to all the hand-wringing in the spring of ‘24 when all 3 of them plus Comrie are headed toward free agency and we are melting down over who to pick and who to trade.

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I look forward to all the hand-wringing in the spring of ‘24 when all 3 of them plus Comrie are headed toward free agency and we are melting down over who to pick and who to trade.

If it happens, would be a great problem to have.

San Jose used it to extend their window by years.  (Never fully successfully, but they were a contender for a really long time, in part by seemingly supplying 1/2 the league's goalies.  Yes, it's an exaggeration, but they found a bunch of gems & ended up spreading the wealth.)

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A FOUR-headed goalie monster?!

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Portillo won’t be a FA in summer of ‘24.  He’ll be a FA in summer of ‘23.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

No Levi this weekend

Riley Grant made his debut in net for Northeastern on Saturday evening, finishing with 14 saves through 58:35 minutes played

Levi,, for the season has 5 Games played/started

Yep, that sucked. Northeastern was playing on ESPN+ at 7 on Saturday followed by the Sabres at 10. Perfect. Missed the very beginning of the NU game and was like, "who IS THAT in net?". Then I saw another goalie on the bench not named Levi. WTF happened? Then the foolishly over-optimistic Sabres fan in me was wondering if he had been put on a plane to Vancouver and I missed the news.  😆  (Call it bourbon brain).