Sabres Announce Don Granato Has Been Signed to A Multi Year Contract Extension

Brawndo

Just now, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Indeed.  GM ... check.  Coach ... check.  Tage ... check ........... there will be more announcements coming.  I expect before season's end we will hear that Dahlin has signed an 8 year $85M extension.

Playoffs…check…nvm.  

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?  Mr. Positivity, eh !!

The playoffs will come.  Book it.  Possibly this year.  Soon !!

😂😂😂

I think I’ve earned the right to take a “prove it” stance after the last decade plus. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Little surprising given he has only coached a year on his current contract.

Other than that, like the message it sends. Like the man, like the job he’s done.

Have said it in another thread, always want the GM locked up for at least 2 more years & the coach for at least 1 more year.  (Ideally a year or 2 more than that on each.)  There is absolutely no downside to this other than Mr. & Mrs. Moneybags eventually being a few extra $'s out of pocket should they eventually decide to go in another direction.  Which isn't our concern.

This is a good morning.

Do we get any other announcements today?

• Agree 1

My only concern is that maybe he is the guy to develop and mold this team but he may not be the guy that can take it over the top.  But I also think it will be several years before that's even a concern as I expect an upward trajectory the next 3-4 years.  If they've stalled out by then, maybe a new coach will be warranted.  Until they plateau though, Granato is the man.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

My only concern is that maybe he is the guy to develop and mold this team but he may not be the guy that can take it over the top.  But I also think it will be several years before that's even a concern as I expect an upward trajectory the next 3-4 years.  If they've stalled out by then, maybe a new coach will be warranted.  Until they plateau though, Granato is the man.

Yep.  He IS the right coach for now.  Hopefully he's the right coach for then too.  If he is, cool, he's locked up until then & presumably would be amenable to staying longer.

If not, the only thing the Sabres are out is a few Pegula bucks.  Not our concern.

• Agree 2

I'm fairly indifferent to this one. 

What it says to me is this is a long term slow build plan as I suspected and there is absolutely zero pressure on him to start winning this season. The emphasis for this year (and maybe next too) will still be on teaching the kids and changing the culture. Building on the change. 

Eventually this should pay off, but it will try the patience of the fanbase. Or at least impatient people like me who don't want to keep waiting for NEXT year. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Stability is the watch word. 

Much-needed for player development and incremental team improvement.  Also sets the right coach-is-here-to-stay culture, which becomes embodied in the players' commitment and discipline.

One major complaint from players through the stalled rebuilds included the high turnover rate of the coaching staff, which impacted their developmental trajectory.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

KA and DG are now joined at the hip like McBeane.  Stability is the watch word.  However Don Adams now have to win like McBeane.

image.thumb.png.76947b5c0189d29adb8b5dd8da7db6bc.png

Would you believe we beat Toronto in the playoffs?

Would you believe we make the playoffs?

How about being competitive all year?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Just for kicks …

Someone crunched the numbers awhile back. I couldn’t find it.

What are the Pegulas currently paying out in past head coaching and GM salaries?

Krueger was in his second year of a three year deal when fired in March, 2021 so I believe as of the end of the 2021/2022 season they are now all off the books.