Sabres Announce Don Granato Has Been Signed to A Multi Year Contract Extension

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Announce Don Granato Has Been Signed to A Multi Year Contract Extension

This is good news.

It shows the Sabre management and ownership really believe in this guy and what he is doing with the team.  It also tells me that management is happy with the players they have and how they are developing together.

This is it.  These are your Buffalo Sabres ... players and coaches for the foreseable future.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Little surprising given he has only coached a year on his current contract.

Other than that, like the message it sends. Like the man, like the job he’s done.

Rumor has it, His original deal was on two years so this would have been His Final Season under contract same as Adams. 

With a rebuilding team, seemingly heading in the right direction You do not want either Your GM and HC heading into the final season of their deals with an uncertain future. 

Besides if the worse case scenario occurs, The Pegulas have proven they will pay people not to work for them 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Happy to hear this.

Is he a good coach?  I think so, but don't really know.  Is he likeable? To me yes, for sure.

Take a coach I THINK is good for this team, add to the fact that I like him as a person/like hearing from him, and I'm all for this.

How is it not obvious he's a good coach. Look where this team was less than two years ago. Don't overthink it.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How is it not obvious he's a good coach. Look where this team was less than two years ago. Don't overthink it.

I like DG too, and if this was his last year under contract then I agree with giving him an extension, but it's way too early to come to any conclusions on him or the state of the team.  They could easily stink again this year.  (I don't think they will, but it's quite possible.)

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I like DG too, and if this was his last year under contract then I agree with giving him an extension, but it's way too early to come to any conclusions on him or the state of the team.  They could easily stink again this year.  (I don't think they will, but it's quite possible.)

Barring a catastrophic number of injuries to our best players I don't see that happening. And that's true for every team. The culture and mindset of this team will not allow middling effort.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

We're sports fans. Ultimately we're going to judge a coach by wins and press conferences.

He eventually might prove himself to be not the right coach.

But in terms of hockey knowledge, experience, preparation,communication, teaching and leadership — you know, coaching — there is no doubt he's a good coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Rumor has it, His original deal was on two years so this would have been His Final Season under contract same as Adams. 

With a rebuilding team, seemingly heading in the right direction You do not want either Your GM and HC heading into the final season of their deals with an uncertain future. 

Besides if the worse case scenario occurs, The Pegulas have proven they will pay people not to work for them 

Or maybe had more years left 

Would have liked to see how he performs when the measuring stick is actual wins and losses instead of whatever development metrics they are using, but he’s a likable enough guy to root for.  Hopefully he’s as competent as a coach expected to win as he is likable.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Weave said:

Would have liked to see how he performs when the measuring stick is actual wins and losses instead of whatever development metrics they are using, but he’s a likable enough guy to root for.  Hopefully he’s as competent as a coach expected to win as he is likable.

If he signed this as his original deal, it would have only been for 5 years total. Seems par for the course.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

You can't preach what the Sabres have been preaching without putting your money where your mouth is and rewarding the people who exemplify it.

Indeed.  GM ... check.  Coach ... check.  Tage ... check ........... there will be more announcements coming.  I expect before season's end we will hear that Dahlin has signed an 8 year $85M extension.