comrie/anderson rotating?

Buffalonill

20 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

It sounds like there's not a (number 1 )and they be rotating comrie/anderson per Granato

I feel like that is what most people expected, at least early in the season, and it was just you who was insisting that Anderson would be the clear starter and Comrie the clear backup.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I hope not...Anderson had some of the worst metrics in the NHL last year....he was 53rd out of 74 goalies with a minimum of 10 games played in terms of goals saved above expected per 60 minutes  at -0.28 goals.  In other words, Anderson costs the Sabres an extra goal basically every 4 games he plays versus what he should allow.  Comrie on the other hand ranked 2nd in the NHL to only Shesterkin of the Rangers, with a goals saved above expected per 60 minutes of 0.603, meaning every 5 periods, he saves an extra goal for your team that normally would be expected to have scored.

In other words, there is a -0.883 per 60 minutes differential between Anderson and Comrie which should make it very clear who the goalie should be for this team.

UPL only played in 9 games, but he ranked 37th, not great but clearly better than Anderson at -0.048, which is almost neutral.  UPL's major issue is rebound control which he is among the worst in the NHL at coming in at 4th worst in the NHL out of 76 qualifiers with at least 9 games played. He actually had the lowest expected rebounds per save last year in the NHL, but gave up the 24th most rebounds per save.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I hope not...Anderson had some of the worst metrics in the NHL last year....he was 53rd out of 74 goalies with a minimum of 10 games played in terms of goals saved above expected per 60 minutes  at -0.28 goals.  In other words, Anderson costs the Sabres an extra goal basically every 4 games he plays versus what he should allow.  Comrie on the other hand ranked 2nd in the NHL to only Shesterkin of the Rangers, with a goals saved above expected per 60 minutes of 0.603, meaning every 5 periods, he saves an extra goal for your team that normally would be expected to have scored.

In other words, there is a -0.883 per 60 minutes differential between Anderson and Comrie which should make it very clear who the goalie should be for this team.

On the other hand, let's see who brings home the wins.  If Andy allows 7 goals but the Sabres score 8, I'm fine with that, and if Comrie only allows 2 but the Sabres only score one with him, I'd rather see Andy.  (Yes, stupid straw man but my point is I want the team to win.)

• Eyeroll 1

I think it's fine to rotate and see how it plays out.  Obviously, the hope is that Comrie will emerge as the better goalie and become the #1, but there isn't enough sample size yet to know for sure.  They know what they have in Anderson.  He can provide some quality minutes and veteran leadership, but at this point in his career, he isn't going to be stealing any games for the Sabres.  I belive that UPL will work his way into the mix.  Despite his poor play in the AHL, when he's been healthy and given the opportunity to play in the NHL, he's been pretty good.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

If comrie is good enough he will take the number 1 position, If not I can see UPL being called up mid season.

If Comrie isn’t good, Adams’ ability to functionally address the goaltending position becomes a full-blown issue 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If Comrie isn’t good, Adams’ ability to functionally address the goaltending position become a full-blown issue 

Not for me, well its an issue for any team in the league with bad goaltending.  And there are plenty , the market for goalies is dry and have to gamble on AHL goalies or back up goalies to fil the gaps.

• dislike 1

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Not for me, well its an issue for any team in the league with bad goaltending.  And there are plenty , the market for goalies is dry and have to gamble on AHL goalies or back up goalies to fil the gaps.

“What can Adams even do?!”

Hard no on that line of thinking. 3 seasons is enough time for a guy who has one of only 32 coveted positions to at least be *evaluated* on his inability to address a position, SHOULD Comrie not pan out. This isn’t a “fire Adams if Comrie sucks!” post. It’s a, “surely we can ask our GM to adequately address a gaping hole on the roster (partially of his own making) over the course of 3 years” post, and demand for better should that arise. A simple acknowledgment of his failure in that regard rather a statement like yours that implies he’d be blameless in the matter and cannot be held to a better standard.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If Comrie isn’t good, Adams’ ability to functionally address the goaltending position becomes a full-blown issue 

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

If comrie is good enough he will take the number 1 position, If not I can see UPL being called up mid season.

Define:  Good enough

36 minutes ago, Thorny said:

League average starter

Over a *majority* of the 82 games played. 

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

50 + games played at least for a starter.   91 SV %

League average sv% was 0.907 last season, so .910 seems like a fair threshold.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

League average sv% was 0.907 last season, so .910 seems like a fair threshold.

Looks like me and Finn see the desired production the same way, we just differ on the expectations on the GM in procuring that result. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.